Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Shadow Warrior 2

Whooo wanta some more Wang?

Coming 2016 to PC, XO and PS4. Shots and info here.

Features include a 4-player Coop, procedural environments and a 'brutal damage system' (lots of gore).

I wasn't a huge fan of the 2013 SW but it was enjoyable nonetheless so... another game on the anticipation list.

I really hope this is more like the 1997 game but I suppose I can't really have extremely high hopes for that. Coop sounds great and all but what about the good old deathmatches?

I don't know how I would feel about this sequel unless they were to try and make it even closer to the original 90's Shadow Warrior experience as possible unlike the 2013 title, I can't say I was much fond of the new style of gameplay with hordes of monsters coming at you at once like a Serious Same game.

Avoozl said:

I can't say I was much fond of the new style of gameplay with hordes of monsters coming at you at once like a Serious Same game.

Yeah, that's one of my complaints. It was too artificial with doors magically closing so that enemies can swarm you and then magically open when everything's dead. Other than that, I hated it that enemies were such bullet sponges that took forever to die.

Welp, time to finish the first one.

The first SW 2013 has some weird quirks like "falling" into water that kills you, but it's quite a lot of fun for what it is. I do miss the gameplay in the original 1997 game though.

I really liked the 2013 SW, aside from the bullet sponge enemies. The sword was all powerful, however, but I found it fairly annoying when it kind of forced you into sword battles, as opposed to leaving your options open. The bullet sponginess of the later enemies does make some of your weapons rather useless. Which is too bad, because it's a kickass looking revolver.

Avoozl said:

I don't know how I would feel about this sequel unless they were to try and make it even closer to the original 90's Shadow Warrior experience as possible unlike the 2013 title, I can't say I was much fond of the new style of gameplay with hordes of monsters coming at you at once like a Serious Same game.

The 2013 game felt like 95% of the enemy placements were arena battles which got too predictable and tedious.

Well I was happy to see Pinkie Demon make a cameo. Then more clowns appeared to help out and I thought... well, there goes the mad intensity of the combat. It took me a while to get into the 2013 game, but by the end I felt like no other shooter could compete.

All of these trailers ruining E3. Soon I'll know everything going in followed by a week or so of E3 coverage that didn't need to be covered.

Coop is good news. Now we only need compact nonlinear levels with cracked walls, inventory, high damage, difficulty based on monster count, powerful weapons found in secrets, level ed... ok, it's getting 1997 again.

GoatLord said:

Who started the closed off horde arena thing, anyway, and why is it so prominent?

It's a cost-efficient way to have an intense combat with multiple enemies. I could handle it in Painkiller because the gameworld made no sense anyway. But in general a game built mostly around it gets really predictable.

GoatLord said:

Who started the closed off horde arena thing, anyway, and why is it so prominent?

Probably Serious Sam, but my first experience with it was with Painkiller. In fact, I just couldn't bring myself to finish the game because the gameplay constantly came to a grinding halt just to kill the next batch of generic monsters to progress to the next area. Also, that generic rock music totally destroyed some great ambiance the levels had going for them.

People keep complaining about PK on these forums. Personally, it was one of my favourite games of 2004. It was the first game I played that had such an amazing physics system, I was blown away. Loved the soundtrack too.

I'm waiting for ESW32 to come out, so a SW12' demake can be made, a la DNF2013 mod, other than that i hope the sequel turns out to be better than the previous one.
Because frankly Digital Devolver, your remake was full of bullet sponges.

I always wanted to play the first remake, but then again all the gameplay playtroughs which passed my eyes might have well been from another franchise or another game so i fear i might be biassed towards automaticaly disliking the remake(s)... it doesnt even look or sound as if its based on the 90's game... but anyways ;

You want to watch wang wash wang ?

J.B.R said:

I'm waiting for ESW32 to come out...

Use the SWP engine with the high resolution texture pack, and the polymer renderer ;
http://www.proasm.com/sw/swp.html

I use that engine with the free shadow warrior classic data from steam.

i liked the 2013 game too, but i felt it was rather mixed. the game doesn't seem like it knows whether it wants to be unserious or force you to care. pairing up Wang with Hoji felt like it was going to be a not-too-serious but fun action game, but then there's all this drama that i couldn't really bring myself to care about because if you wanted me to not give a shit the majority of the game, why are you suddenly being so dramatic now? the gameplay was solid and made you keep on your toes, although it's linear and very arena-ish combat. i didn't really feel it hindered my enjoyment with the game aside from there not being too much to explore.

overall i guess there'll be more of the same, which i'm okay with. don't expect the plot to be a miracle though.

SavageCorona said:

I'm assuming those are only coop players. I hope.

That's what I thought when I heard that they have an extensive coop.

Yay more shadow warrior! The previous wasn't exactly '97, but it had a sufficient nod to the old school elements. The arena areas did wreak of pain killer. The upgrades you choose do affect your playing style. Even if you do get a pile of skill points. I didn't mind the bullet sponges.

There was a factory area where you were in a tiny room with spawning minotaurs that was pretty cheap. It's hard to please every nostalgia freak still living in the golden age of the 90's. If you want to rip on bullet sponges watch someone play Destiny. Watch as they play same dungeon and shoot the same damn flying bullet sponge boss until you get irreversible brain damage. Though this might actually be a trend in the upcoming shadow warrior game with co-op and big bosses. Maybe it won't be as mind numbing.

I liked the bullet sponges in Shadow warrior as they could quickly make arenas super hectic. Aside from the charging douches with the weak spot on their backs, you could do well against most of the sponges with upgraded weapons.

Doomhuntress said:

i liked the 2013 game too, but i felt it was rather mixed. the game doesn't seem like it knows whether it wants to be unserious or force you to care. pairing up Wang with Hoji felt like it was going to be a not-too-serious but fun action game, but then there's all this drama that i couldn't really bring myself to care about because if you wanted me to not give a shit the majority of the game, why are you suddenly being so dramatic now?

The dramatic elements of the story were primarily from the graphic novel cut scenes. They don't make much sense at first and that aspect slowly unfolds and all the drama centres around those characters. Wang still remains very much the same emotionally throughout the entire game.

Gameplay:

* It kind of looks like a mix between Shadow Warrior and Dying Light. Tons of mobility, double jumping, climbing, etc.

* Environments are more open, looks like you can take different paths and stuff.

* When in Coop, every player sees himself as Lo Wang and other players as ninjas.

* Many different melee weapons.

* Guns still do not seem to pack a lot of punch, they're completely static.

* Enemies look pretty cool.

Doominator2 said:

Shouldn't this technically be shadow warrior 3?

In that case shouldn't the other one be Shadow Warrior 2? I'm pretty sure they're marketing the reboot as a separate thing.

Well there are 3 players. I assume four, but 3 are shown in the trailer. Therefore Shadow Warrior 3. Or as Serious Sam would call it.... Triple D or XXXL

I absolutely love the shadow warrior redo. I thought the gameplay was very skillful, no reason to complain about dying except through your own fault. Yes the game was linear, but the design was still really good and enjoyable to progress through. The sword felt fantastic, cutting through enemies was a blast. I managed to get to number 1 on the LB on the ps4 version, not an easy task, but I enjoyed every moment.

SW2 looks to be even better, I can't wait.