Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revan1141

Favorite Megawad LEVEL?

So instead of your favorite standalone level/wad, how about this: What is your favorite Megawad Level?

For instance...

My favorite individual Megawad level is ConC.E.R.Ned's E2M7.

(Video not mine)

The level previous to this one had me very starved for ammunition and health, but near the end of it I managed to grab a bunch of weaponry and health and stuff, and when I entered this level and heard that song start I was pumped immediately.

I exited the spawn area and just started blowing away everyone I saw with my shotgun, and firing a few BFG rounds at the Spider Mastermind... This level was only just getting started because there was all sorts of fights like that all over the place. Big, epic, huge scale fights with tons of monsters.

I'm a pretty tactical player, I like to switch weapons alot to conserve ammo on my other guns(Like chainsawing Pinkies, Cacos, instead of feeding them endless Shotgun blasts) that I sweep corners alot and make sure everything is covered... I guess it's habits formed from my time playing CS:GO...

But boy when I played this level I threw all those habits out the window and just started blowing everyone to Hell. Pulling out a Rocket Launcher and making enemies turn to gore scraped all over the walls...

And the level architecture... Oh God the level architecture... Perfect. It was like it was straight from Romero himself, only better... It was great. Handsdown my favorite level in a Megawad so far.

So now it's your turn! :D

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong topic. I'm not sure where else it would have gone. I'm not sure if moderators/admins have the ability to move threads on this forum as I haven't been here long, but please move this thread as you see fit.

Very difficult question, there are a lot of good megawads.

I can't really pick just one, but my top three would be Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta, Silures from Eternal Doom (both of them MAP20), and Arch-Violence from Plutonia 2 (MAP11).

I haven't finished some of the latest ones, like BTSX, so this could change soon.

There's no way I could choose a single map. Instead, I'm going to list a few of my favourites:

-Memento Mori MAP28: City of the Unavenged
-Back to Saturn X E1 MAP19: Bingo Pool Hall of Blood
-Back to Saturn X E1 MAP22: Gonna Never Have To Die
-Back to Saturn X E2 MAP19: Unbaited Vicar of Scorched Earth
-Lunatic MAP05: The Final Countdown
-Valiant MAP07: The Mancubian Candidate

More later!

Not a simple question, picking a single level from all the very good megawads it's difficult.
My choice would be between these two:
Rainbow Bridge from Eternal (Map 24): a big city level with a great atmosphere, I really love to explore it.
U.S Mustard Company from BTSX E1 (Map 20): I think it's fantastic how the author did that "colored light" effect in vanilla in the first part, and the music gives a perfect mood to the map.

I'm too lazy to play through the entirety of most Megawads, but I'll leave some here:

>Valiant MAP01: Bad Reception
>Valiant MAP25: The Eagle Has Landed
>Scythe 2 MAP11: UAC Base X
>Scythe 2 MAP 21: Doom Gardens

Well, I was forgetting about this. It isn't in a megawad, but still... The Shrine from Eternal Doom IV (Map 27).

Plutonia MAP11
Going Down MAP20
Alien Vendetta MAP20

There's probably some I've forgotten.

Alien Vendetta: Seclusion
Scythe: Anger
Requiem: Poison Processing
Swim With The Whales: Ride The Dolphins
Pirate Doom: House Of Mojo
Claustrophobia 1024 2: Oil Rig Zero
Vela Pax Map 5: Apollyon
Valiant: The Netweaver
Back To Saturn X e2: Wings Of Thorn
Lunatic Map 3: Rocket Zone
D2INO Map 31: Wolfenstein

That took awhile.

AV MAP18
REQUIEM MAP16
Valiant MAP17
scythe2 MAP17
hr2final MAP17
pl2 MAP17
CChest2 MAP24
alt MAP26
2002ado E4M6

apparently I seem to have a favorite mapslot.

Rats in the Walls from Requiem is the first that comes to mind. I like how it works as both a well executed concept map and a solid regular map in it's own right. This is harder to achieve than Capellan makes it look.

There are possibly others that I like as much or more but they aren't coming to mind right now.

Alien Vendetta: Toxic Touch (Map10) (love sewer-themed maps, no surprise it's a great map considering Kim Andre Malde made it)

Hell Revealed 2: Hell's Cauldron (Map29) (music is beyond epic, one of the best concepts of Hell in Doom, no fancy puzzles, nothing complicated, just blast away the hundreds of monsters in your way)

Plutonia 2: Ticket to Eternity (Map29) (love the openness of the level, basically Plutonia Map29 on steroids. Super secret with the Commander Keens is pretty cool too)

Honorable mention goes to Plutonia2 Map10, largely because of that spaceship that gives you the impression that it's lifting into the air when you hit the switch to lower the floor beneath it.

Alien Vendetta MAP08: Nemesis - an awesome adventure styled island map where you start on the boat and climb up the mountain to get to the marble castle on top.

Eternal Doom MAP02: Tower of Hell - The abrupt transition from UAC Base to Hell early on catches me off guard, but I like the idea of a map seeming out of order in a megawad. In narrative, its like a flashback or living a nightmare or something.

Memento Mori MAP05: Hell's Kitchen - A sweet MAP11: Circle of Death styled map with lots of height variation and catwalks suspended over massive nukage pits.

Hell Revealed 2 MAP08: Something about an SSG and infinite shotgun shells in an otherwise difficult map really hits a sweet spot for me. Even though the map is pretty symmetrical, and most of the time is spent chipping away at hordes of dense meatshields, slowly grinding your way through monster clogged hallways is still pretty fun for me.

I know there are some really good ones I'm missing but i gotta refresh my memory.

brb playing every megawad ever.

It'd be a tossup between AV map20 or map23. Both are my favorites of any megawad.

Reverie: Map 10 The Tech Towers
Reverie: Map 18 Sleeping Spirits
Perdition's Gate: Map 05
BTSX: E2M25 Unstable Journey
Eviltech: Map12-Map15
Doom Core: Map 19
Pirate Doom: Every Map

Im closing in on a final pick...and yeah, unlike most here Im actually going to do wha the OP asked for: pick one fucking map, not list every single fucking map I like.

Its standing between AV map18 and SoD map31.

Fuck...both are special to me. AV map18 is "new old school" in style, it being very Plutonia-like, but on an epic scale. Its also using a classic midi (my all time fav Doom midi actually) which is perfect for it. I have to admit though; Im considering this map based on a lot of nostalgia.

SoD map31: such a good midi (which I didn't really like to begin with, but it most certainly grew on me and is now on of my all time favs). The theme/concept and weird architecture in this map is fantastic, and the sheer fun I have playing this map...

...makes me pick it as my all time fav single map in a megawad.

There. Done.

Im already having second thoughts.

I'm surprised so many people can answer this question at all - thinking back on the dozens of megaWADs I've played I can't really name a single standout level. I've got vague recollections of maps that were really hard for me when I played them the first time and loose ideas on which mappers are likely to have made ones I liked, but nothing concrete. I think I might be with a better chance of naming my absolute least favourite map in a megaWAD, as the bad ones tend to stick with me more.

Actually, this has got me thinking if there's even a megaWAD I would be able to definitively cite as my favourite now :\