Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Sergeant_Mark_IV is remaking the original Doom

So how long until everyone tells people who mention Doom to play this instead of the original iwads?

I'd like to see who will be recreating all of the assets, this is a very, very bold move to attempt.

Nothing tops the original maps, nothing.

Wait, this isn't the mapset that was supposed to be included with BDv20? A different mapset superior to the old boring stupid id IWADS? That's a lot of top tier mapping for one guy.

Will there be new episode titles?

• Waist-Deep in Brutal Doom
  • The Shores of Brutal Doom
  • Brutally Doomed
  • By Brutal Doom Consumed
I wonder if Mark is seeing how far he can push things before receiving a "cease and desist" letter from Zenimax's lawyers.

looks like some generic zdoom/Hexen features on top of original maps? whatever, I guess every pot needs a lid, amirite? This is not worth my time

This has been around for quite a while and I'm patiently waiting for its completion. I will not be playing them with Brutal Doom however.

Think I played a Suburbs remake by Sgt Mark. His sector toilets are not to be sniffed at.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It looks kind of dumb tbh, I'm not a fan of the use of STARTAN wallpaper in the screenshots and the blatant ZDoomisms like superfluous slopes and ugly additive/translucent light shafts

This may be good enough to warrant a playthrough with GzDoom+Smooth Doom.

So? It's just a remake of the original with some zdoom feature. What a bore.

GreyGhost said:

I wonder if Mark is seeing how far he can push things before receiving a "cease and desist" letter from Zenimax's lawyers.

Either that, or a "can we use more of your Brutal Doom ideas" letter for any upcoming Doom 4 DLC.

Glaice said:

I'd like to see who will be recreating all of the assets, this is a very, very bold move to attempt.

Nothing tops the original maps, nothing.

Eh, you can use the FreeDoom IWADs if you want to play these maps for free.

Sure, FreeDoom may not have the prettiest textures and sprites, but it works, for the most part. You could also use DHTP with it if you want to add some textures that are vaguely similar to what the original Doom had.

Freedoom just kinda sucks to be honest. Yea it's impressive that they were able to create their own game and all but the weapons just feel weak and the enemies don't look very good. It doesn't even feel like Doom, but more like some kind of generic alien shooter.

hardcore_gamer said:

Freedoom just kinda sucks to be honest. Yea it's impressive that they were able to create their won game and all but the weapons just feel weak and the enemies don't look very good. It doesn't even feel like Doom, but more like some kind of generic alien shooter.

I think there are legal reasons for Freedoom not looking exactly like Doom, while still having the resources to allow it to function as an IWAD replacement for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. The monster sprites have improved over the years, though, with the "Archvile" being the only one left that appears to be missing a few sprites. With its relative current state of completion, and it's forthcoming inclusion with Brutal Doom, I think it's likely that improvements will be made to the project.

As for the weapons feeling weak... I'm not sure if the Freedoom guys reprogrammed them to be weaker or not. (Why would they do that?)

I actually like how Freedoom looks, and I use it as my main IWAD when playing PWADs. You could, of course, use the DHTP and Brutal Doom PWADs to make it look more like the original Doom (essentially giving you what appears to be a slightly more modern version of the game for free).

Suitepee said:

Either that, or a "can we use more of your Brutal Doom ideas" letter for any upcoming Doom 4 DLC.

Next on the list of things Doom 4 steals from Brutal Doom (because brutal doom is totally the first instance of those things existing): particles, sloped surfaces and translucent surfaces!

Breezeep said:

Will the levels use each song in every Linkin Park album?

That would be probaly the only reason to download this.

But is this the "Starter Pack Megawad" which had to be included with the v20 release??

cortlong50 said:

everyone in this thread seems a little bitter.

I think many people, including myself, are tired of seeing remakes of Doom. I tried it once, and eventually I thought it was a stupid idea.