Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big fan of vanilla gameplay? It's time to get comfy!

Comfy Doom is a vanilla gameplay mod that uses no new sounds, no new sprites, no new graphics, nothing, just quietly tweaking a few values in order to make things more comfortable. Originally made in honor of a friend's birthday, he was so pleased with it that I decided to release it to the public.

Load up on your favorite mapset of choice and go through a chunk of levels, have a blast!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki1ipghhqxaxhqf/te13-comfydoom-v2.wad - Download here!

Spoiler

Did you play it?

Spoiler

No, really, did you actually play it instead of running through map01 after Give All?

Spoiler

Comfy Doom is a complete misnomer, a jokewad intent on changing the weapons subtly so as to make them as UNcomfortable as possible. The reliable, staple functions and features we all love so much have been twisted...very slightly. Very subtly, in order to nudge at the back of the player's head.

CHANGES:
Pistol: Pre-fire delay was increased from 3 tics to 5. Randomly goes to 10. Muzzleflash occaisionally desynchs to 12 tics instead of 7. Frames are now mirrored.
Fist: Picking up Berserk permanently takes away Fist.
Chainsaw: Randomly stops. Randomly fires at half speed.
Shotgun: Pre-fire delay increased from 3 tics to 5. Bullets occaisionally fire lower than the crosshair.
Super Shotgun: All bullets veer to the left of the crosshair. Autoaim renders bullets flat. All sounds play five tics late. Random 12-tic delay on refire.
Chaingun: Desynched muzzleflash. Can no longer snipe.
Rocket Launcher: Explosion no longer fullbright. Movement rendered jerky. Slightly slower speed (reduced from 20 to 18). Random chance to just drop out of mid-air. Sprites are incorrectly offset. Rocket very slightly adjusts to the side.
Plasma Rifle: Bolts damage you. Very slightly adjusts your angle and pitch.
BFG9000: Randomly does not fire.
Global: Suicide messages now say a zombieman killed you. Weapons (BFG aside) no longer leave decals. HUD face slightly off-center. HUD no longer gives information on BFG. All health pickups heal for slightly less. The obscure compatflag compat_allowmonsterautoaimonpain is now enforced.
Enemies: Imps and zombies have a very rare chance of playing an Archvile's see sound on see.
Player: Player's viewheight increased from 41 to 43. Player can no longer run when under 5% health. A player's pitch will be randomly nudged down one notch at a random time between 1 to 5 seconds.

Special thanks to _sink and Eric for helping out with ideas.

Sounds cool I'm going to give it a try!

EDIT: Something seems wrong with pistol frames where the fire stays on too long and looks awkward :/ It pissed me off and made me uncomfortable so I stopped playing

EDIT2: Motherfucker!

Spoiler

You really got me

I saw the potato doomguy and I got excited thinking you were the same guy that made ARCHIE.wad.

But you aren't.

Hahaha this is really funny

I'm afraid your WAD didn't affect me; turns out I'm such a casual that I didn't even notice the difference...

I got to Map02 before I realized you fucked with things. The SSG gave it away. I also noticed the slightly delayed shotgun and it really pissed me off in the back of my mind.

Is everyone feeling comfy? Why not settle down and play a little bit of your favorite game this evening?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki1ipghhqxaxhqf/te13-comfydoom-v2.wad?dl=0

Spoiler

CHANGES FROM V1 to V2:

- Weapons no longer leave decals.
- Increase bullet "drop" chance for Shotgun.
- HUD face now slightly off-center.
- HUD no longer gives information on BFG.
- Adjusted angle/pitch adjustment for plasma rifle.
- Reduced weave for rocket.
- Rocket very slightly adjusts angle to the side.
- Player's viewheight increased from 41 to 43.
- Player can no longer run when under 5% health.
- Imps and zombies have a very rare chance of playing an Archvile's see sound on see.
- Pistol frames are now mirrored.
- Stimpack only heals 9 health. Medikit heals 24 health. Soulsphere heals 99 health, up to 199%.
- compat_allowmonsterautoaimonpain is now enforced.
- A player's pitch will be randomly nudged down one notch at a random time between 1 to 5 seconds.