Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

Doom 4 - Automap drawing

Made this kinda analyzis. Yes i know, it's quite horrible so feel free to hate :p but you kinda get some sort of idea how the current shown UAC level is. Based on that, i kinda like the level design because it is non-linear pretty much.

edit:fixed the drawing a bit because one missing line made area look like it was huge room, eventhough it's not.

FINALLY someone put this together.
The level looked non-linear during the presentation, he just didn't take EVERY last path.
Just glad someone pointed this out to all who were complaining about linear levels.
That actually looks like an early game Doom 1/2 map with multiple levels! Awesome.

GoatLord said:

It just occurred to me...are we getting a fucking automap in Neo-Doom, or what?!

The new Wolfenstein games have automaps, so I'm betting Doom will have one as well.

Thanks for doing this. I was working on one myself, but gave up because I got lazy lol.

I was going to write descriptions corresponding with the numbers/pictures, but I think anyone who watched the gameplay footage more than twice can put two and two together.

Just goes to show that the levels are in fact nonlinear. Some things may be blocked off by doors needing to be unlocked or triggered to be opened by some other means, but seeing as this is supposedly the second level and it at least has SOME non-linearity, I'm excited and hopeful.

The more I see posts like this the more excited I get.

That map you drew is extremely confusing but I'll take your word for it that it's hopefully good level design.

still not what i can call a complex design

btw how it compare to new order map design?

Amph said:

I dare say that it'll be pretty similar in terms of level design. IIRC, The New Order's levels were mostly non-linear with a few linear sections.

Amph said:

still not what i can call a complex design

It seems about on par with mid-game levels in new order.

Yeah TNO was basically "linear section -> small interwoven arena to kill a bunch of dudes in -> repeat". Then again, lots of games are like that. Which is pretty bad.

i hope there are cool secret rooms and that secret hunting is a big part of the game a la classic doom. everything from extra ammo to hidden levels. i need it.

I love this thread. I knew the levels were open but now that it's been fully analyzed we can really see how open it really is. DOOMGUY went in a loop which is kind of cool. I actually started working on an entire recreation of the E3 demo in the DOOM 2 engine but I'm sure someone will beat me to it. Anymore layouts and picture are always helpful.

GrizzlyRed said:

I love this thread. I knew the levels were open but now that it's been fully analyzed we can really see how open it really is. DOOMGUY went in a loop which is kind of cool. I actually started working on an entire recreation of the E3 demo in the DOOM 2 engine but I'm sure someone will beat me to it. Anymore layouts and picture are always helpful.

How are you going to do that? It has double jumping and multiple layers of verticality.

You should also check my own thread about the level design.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-4-general/73268-level-design-analysis/

[quote="DooM_RO" post="1391987"]
How are you going to do that? It has double jumping and multiple layers of verticality.

Well of course I'll have to compensate for certain things and it of course won't be EXACTLY like the demo but I want to get it as close as I can. Areas where the player double jumped in the demo I'll just have to use a Teleporter or something instead. I'll figure it out. Really just a personal project to push myself to actually finish something for once and to see if I can actually do it. If all goes well and someone hasn't beaten me to it I'll upload the .wad to the internet somewhere and share it around.

You could try using 3D floors in GZDoom, or perhaps the Vavoom engine, or you could make a series of 3D set pieces using Risen 3D.

[quote="GrizzlyRed" post="1391991"]

DooM_RO said:

Well of course I'll have to compensate for certain things and it of course won't be EXACTLY like the demo but I want to get it as close as I can. Areas where the player double jumped in the demo I'll just have to use a Teleporter or something instead. I'll figure it out. Really just a personal project to push myself to actually finish something for once and to see if I can actually do it. If all goes well and someone hasn't beaten me to it I'll upload the .wad to the internet somewhere and share it around.

Would double jump be hard to implement? I would like to see it in WADs anyway.

DooM_RO said:

Would double jump be hard to implement? I would like to see it in WADs anyway.

i remember i asked this on Zdoom forums if it was possible and they give me a example wad with double jump, so at least on zdoom ports wouldnt be that hard. i would check my files if i can find the doublejump example.

EDIT; so yeah i found the post luckely: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21034#p412728

Z0k said:

i remember i asked this on Zdoom forums if it was possible and they give me a example wad with double jump, so at least on zdoom ports wouldnt be that hard. i would check my files if i can find the doublejump example.

EDIT; so yeah i found the post luckely: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21034#p412728

Hmmm, what if this map was a community project? It would get more people to analyze the levels more attentively. What do you think?

Wow! Nice to see how positive reactions people have to the drawing i made and how in general it seems like it was wanted. I'm happy it provided more help than i thought.

About New Order level design..

Imo this looks like way better than anything that was in New Order. I actually had teeth clinched pretty much when i completeted it. To me, that game was that awful so i just pretty much forced myself regardless of not really enjoying it. Sofar Doom 4 looks better pretty much in everyway.

edit: Yep, now that it has been confirmed you can even drop down to those catwalks in doom 4, it's definitely better level design than anything what New Order had to offer.

Marty Stratton interview
"But you can go anywhere in that area, you could jump down onto those catwalks, you could go up… so it is very Doom I/Doom II-esque in terms of that non-linearity within areas. Trying to figure out, ‘How do I get to that next area?’ Well, there’s a bunch of different places I can go."