Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What are your favorite non Doom related hobbies?

My boredom has once again fueled my curiosity. So today I'm wondering what some of you guys' favorite hobbies are outside of Doom (or any other game, for that matter).

I like to write music. I've been playing guitar for about thirteen years now, and I enjoy writing all kinds of metal instrumentals. I also enjoy going to the gun range with my dad and popping off some rounds to let off some steam. When we go, we take a .38 Chief's Special and a ported Glock 23c. I'm currently in the process of saving up for my first firearm, and am torn between a Glock G42 subcompact .380 and a Springfield Armory 9mm subcompact. Obviously I'm looking for a conceal carry weapon. I'm also a nearly daily hookah user (just tobacco, no pot). My favorite flavor is Citrus mixed with Mint.

What are you into?

Tabletop gaming. These days I'm running Pathfinder and dipping my toes into various other systems as a player, though I'd like an opportunity to commit to a reasonably long-term (like a year or so) Pathfinder or D&D (4th or 5th Edition) game.

I'm quite in to astronomy, but of course, this being the UK, there's rarely any good weather for that.
My other hobby is music. I play guitar, keyboard and bass (primarily bass), and make MIDIs, if that counts as non-doom related (still waiting for another project D:)

It really depends on what mood I'm in. Lately, I've been doing a little bit of reading up on classical and medieval western history. I've also been known to read fictional history, such as the Elder Scrolls, or Tolkien's Middle-earth. For a lot of years, I've done tabletop gaming, but in the past year or two, that's really died down due to other things going on.

I like to read. Back in November, I started reading Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, but I've always struggled reading non-fiction, so I only read it occasionally.

I'm sure there's more, but off the top of my head, that's all I can think of.

Clonehunter said:

I like to write. I'm outlining something as we speak...

Imp Encounter 2: Taylor's Hellish Orgy?

I would read that.

TraceOfSpades said:

I'm also a nearly daily hookah user (just tobacco, no pot). My favorite flavor is Citrus mixed with Mint.

What are you into?

Hookah/sheesha bars used to be an occasional late night hangout of mine, but I haven't gone to one in a good while. My favorite flavour was white grape, IIRC. While I don't keep a hookah at home, I do enjoy a nice cigar every month or two.

I tinker with writing poetry, fiction, and music, but in the vast majority of my 'free' time, I make custom clothing and accessories. My main focus is on classic tailored menswear (suits, trousers, vests, jackets, shirts, ties, etc), but I've been branching into womens clothing and mens casual wear as well. Womenswear especially lets you play around with some really fun designs and techniques. Plus, a lot of womens' garments are faster/simpler to construct, and easier to fit.

The work is satisfying enough that I'd pursue tailoring as a full-time career/trade in a heartbeat, if I thought I could properly live off of it without 99% of my work consisting of hemming pants. Presently, at least, I do it mostly for the love of the art. I charge barely the cost of materials for a lot of what I sell, which is fine when it's a project that genuinely interests me. Most of the garments I make require anywhere from 4 to 25 hours of actual labour from start to finish. So, if I want to be making just the bare minimum wage for my time, I'd have to be charging $40-$250 more than I do. If I actually want to make what's considered a 'living wage' in my city, it'd mean charging $70-$450 more. I've met a number of people willing to pay those prices for custom work, but they tend to want things that are boring to work on, so it balances out and I only take on those jobs every once in a while.

A lot of the interesting project requests come from people who are so accustomed to cheap throwaway sweatshop-built polyester clothing that they don't expect to pay much, even for something custom made. Since cheap synthetic cloth is often gross and a pain in the ass to work with, I'll make them something from good-quality natural fibres instead, it'll still be dirt cheap since most of the actual cost is in the labour that I'm doing for free as a hobby, and then they'll rave about how comfortable it is.

Now if I wanted to do this sort of work solely for the money, I'd probably focus on accessories. Bow ties, for example, take less than 20 minutes to make if you know what you're doing, and they barely require any material. The design takes some skill, but if I cut and mark the pieces of fabric and hand them to anyone with a sewing machine, they can put the bow tie together with almost no thought required. That's also what makes them boring to work on non-stop, though.

I don't do much either. I do write also, but I have nothing published as I've only gotten into writing stuff, I've always had those cheesy story ideas and now I'm trying to get them to exist.

Birmingham is crap for clubbing, so I'll often hop down to London and hang out at Slimelight or Reptile with a friend who lives down there. It's an alright town, wish Birmingham had subways....

Also I'll sometimes do some gardening down at some volunteer place who grows stuff to sell off. Not too bad of a thing to do, it gets me out a bit more I guess.

Mithran Denizen said:

Hookah/sheesha bars used to be an occasional late night hangout of mine, but I haven't gone to one in a good while. My favorite flavour was white grape, IIRC. While I don't keep a hookah at home, I do enjoy a nice cigar every month or two.

I tinker with writing poetry, fiction, and music, but in the vast majority of my 'free' time, I make custom clothing and accessories. My main focus is on classic tailored menswear (suits, trousers, vests, jackets, shirts, ties, etc), but I've been branching into womens clothing and mens casual wear as well. Womenswear especially lets you play around with some really fun designs and techniques. Plus, a lot of womens' garments are faster/simpler to construct, and easier to fit.

The work is satisfying enough that I'd pursue tailoring as a full-time career/trade in a heartbeat, if I thought I could properly live off of it without 99% of my work consisting of hemming pants. Presently, at least, I do it mostly for the love of the art. I charge barely the cost of materials for a lot of what I sell, which is fine when it's a project that genuinely interests me. Most of the garments I make require anywhere from 4 to 25 hours of actual labour from start to finish. So, if I want to be making just the bare minimum wage for my time, I'd have to be charging $40-$250 more than I do. If I actually want to make what's considered a 'living wage' in my city, it'd mean charging $70-$450 more. I've met a number of people willing to pay those prices for custom work, but they tend to want things that are boring to work on, so it balances out and I only take on those jobs every once in a while.

A lot of the interesting project requests come from people who are so accustomed to cheap throwaway sweatshop-built polyester clothing that they don't expect to pay much, even for something custom made. Since cheap synthetic cloth is often gross and a pain in the ass to work with, I'll make them something from good-quality natural fibres instead, it'll still be dirt cheap since most of the actual cost is in the labour that I'm doing for free as a hobby, and then they'll rave about how comfortable it is.

Now if I wanted to do this sort of work solely for the money, I'd probably focus on accessories. Bow ties, for example, take less than 20 minutes to make if you know what you're doing, and they barely require any material. The design takes some skill, but if I cut and mark the pieces of fabric and hand them to anyone with a sewing machine, they can put the bow tie together with almost no thought required. That's also what makes them boring to work on non-stop, though.

That's pretty interesting, man. Do you have any photos you can post here of some of your creations? I'd be interested in seeing them.

This is my personal hookah. Yes, that is Mr. Ronnie James Dio on the screen behind it. I was watching a Heaven and Hell concert.

TraceOfSpades said:

That's pretty interesting, man. Do you have any photos you can post here of some of your creations? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Maybe some oldish shots, I'll have to see if I can dig them up. I've been wanting to get back into the habit of photographing my work, but I need a decent new camera first. I regret not getting any good shots of my last set of projects, as they made up a whole outfit, and they were very photogenic: a brocade waistcoat and braided formal pants, plus a shirt and cotton bow-tie, all using accents in the same coral wedding color.

I've actually had a few ideas for some doom-related accessories for myself... if anything comes from them, I'll post them alongside some of my other work as soon as I stop procrastinating on the camera situation.

Reading, firearms, paintball, jetskis, hiking, running, systems, servers, networks.

That's pretty much it.

I love hiking mountains (good thing I found a group to do longer trips with) and I find it very fun to go to heavy metal concerts and festivals.

I play the bass, sometimes the guitar too. I used to write some music too but it's a while I stopped... Maybe I will resume it to make music for my maps. I enjoy to read, books or I search for articles or other things on the internet. And for the less serious things I read manga or watch anime.

Piper Maru said:

Caco Encounter?

"The Cacodemon wiggled it's big dick erotically before pushing all twenty-three and a half inches of its length and thirteen inches girth-wise into Doomguy's nubile (?) penis hole, stretching it massively for MAX DAMAGE."

Clonehunter said:

"The Cacodemon wiggled it's big dick erotically before pushing all twenty-three and a half inches of its length and thirteen inches girth-wise into Doomguy's nubile (?) penis hole, stretching it massively for MAX DAMAGE."

Very erotic!

When I'm not playing Doom, I'm playing something else. Other wise I'm drawing or listening to music. That's about it.
And when I'm really bored, I draw shitty weapon sprites.

I'm into weight lifting [weight training for the pedantic], but I guess that's more of a lifestyle than a hobby.

I honestly don't have a lot of hobbies, besides games. My guitar hardly counts anymore as I haven't picked it up in years. I love movies and a lot of TV shows, but I'm scraping the barrel here.

TraceOfSpades said:

Heaven and Hell concert.

I was at that tour in Columbus, Ohio. I vaguely remember mentioning it on Doomworld long time ago. My friend's dad was chasing us around in his big-ass Caddy because he didn't want him hanging around me. We had fourth row or something around there.

bytor said:

I was at that tour in Columbus, Ohio. I vaguely remember mentioning it on Doomworld long time ago. My friend's dad was chasing us around in his big-ass Caddy because he didn't want him hanging around me. We had fourth row or something around there.

That's bad ass dude.

In no particular order...

Cars (working on them, driving them, finding out about them, going to shows etc)
Table-top Role Playing
Live Action Role Playing
Amateur dramatics
Hill Walking
Cycling
Camping
Watching Movies
Listening to music
Theatre

Probably other stuff too but an extremely busy work schedule has curtailed most of the above in recent months. :(