Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pro_zealot

What about PC version of new DOOM?

You guys think that this show that was PC version on PAD or it was console version.
If that was console version what change do you expect in proper PC version of DOOM?

Im kinda most concerned about the editor at the moment really. Will we be able to create some wild diagonally angled geometry?

For me the PC version must have at least:
1.Removed weapon wheel and slow time when change weapon.
2.Graphic setting (low medium high) at least
3.More monster(pack size) than console verion and better graphic.
4.Dificulty on the same principle like in old doom (more enemy more dmg and on nightmire super fast monster)
5.AA and anisotropy in seting menu.

Honestly was kinda fine with the amount of enemies on screen because doom is not supposed to even be like serious sam or painkiller, where it's always just slaughtering hordes of enemies.

You can forget about better overall graphics, I'm pretty sure they're trying to optimize it across all three platforms.

quakke said:

Honestly was kinda fine with the amount of enemies on screen because doom is not supposed to even be like serious sam or painkiller, where it's always just slaughtering hordes of enemies.

I think some people forget that Doom rarely features hordes. How many times in the original Doom are there more than half a dozen enemies at a time? Not extremely often. There's some occasional demon or zombie spamming, but again, the numbers are usually in the dozen-or-less range.

GoatLord said:

I think some people forget that Doom rarely features hordes. How many times in the original Doom are there more than half a dozen enemies at a time? Not extremely often. There's some occasional demon or zombie spamming, but again, the numbers are usually in the dozen-or-less range.

Yeah these fools always make it like the classic maps had a constant storm of bad guys, which is only partially true for some of the later more extreme maps, particularly from Final Doom. I'd love to duke it out with some overwhelming hordes in this one but it doesn't have to be all the damn time.

PC version will probably be exactly the same as the consoles. There's no reason to change anything. Only difference I can imagine is options for Screen Resolution and what not.

GoatLord said:

Yeah, but in this demo I'm not sure if we ever saw more than three enemies at a time, which came in waves of succession. There's a pretty big difference to me between 3-ish and 6-12 or more.

pro_zealot said:

For me the PC version must have at least:
1.Removed weapon wheel and slow time when change weapon.

I think I read somewhere that the weapon wheel is optional and that you still can instantly switch weapons like in traditional FPS.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Yeah, but in this demo I'm not sure if we ever saw more than three enemies at a time, which came in waves of succession. There's a pretty big difference to me between 3-ish and 6-12 or more.

There's 8 enemies in this screenshot alone (probably more in the back area):

doom_is_great said:

I think I read somewhere that the weapon wheel is optional and that you still can instantly switch weapons like in traditional FPS.

But will the melee indicator highlight be able to be toggled off. Hope so. Basically loot indicator, surely it can be identified by animation. Hated that shit.

GoatLord said:

Yet some of the most popular Doom 2 megawads are those with slaughtermaps in them.

Even in Doom 2, tricks and traps was kind of a gimmick level. There weren't hordes pretty much anywhere in either game, apart from some very rare exceptions (like those guys that spawn in Suburbs as someone brought up before). By this logic you can take "barrels o'fun" and say that doom used to have hundreds of barrels everywhere.

ChickenOrBeef said:

OK. But this seems more like the exception than the rule in the demo. Re-watching it, other than this moment, the player is fighting waves of 3-4 demons at a time, with a lot of obvious scripting (i.e., as soon as he finishes one group of enemies, another shows up).

It seems like a lot of people don't realize these levels were made for demonstration purposes. You really think a revenant rips your arms off and beats you with them at the end of the level? Remember Doom 3's alpha demo? It's like that.

It's been confirmed that both demonstrations were on levels from the actual game, actually. The tech level was map02, the Hell level was from midway through the game.

Even if we didn't have confirmation of that, though, it would still be pretty silly to build complete detailed levels solely for the sake of a video with no intention of using them in the game.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Mate. this is the SECOND FUCKING LEVEL. If you're going to compare it, compare it with E1M2 not some map from the middle of some huge PWAD.

There seemed to be a steady flow of monster encounters...so what's the problem? You guys letdown by the fact you didn't see 30 monsters on screen at the same time like was promised many months ago?

Jet1337 said:

It seems like a lot of people don't realize these levels were made for demonstration purposes. You really think a revenant rips your arms off and beats you with them at the end of the level? Remember Doom 3's alpha demo? It's like that.

No, but I think they scripted an actual demon finisher for thematics. The entire time they were running a tech demo, I was hyped but saying to my gf "This is great and all, but I want to see the player die. That's part of it, this looks really easy and I want to see the player overwhelmed."

Granted, a critical rocket strike isn't exactly overwhelming, but hype went into overload when the Revenant killed us by beating us with our own arm.

I watched again the gameplay and i noticed that gibs(body parts)disappear after 4-5sek after killing. I hope in PC version we can change that time(or permanently).
I belive that high end PC today can handle this.

Speaking of things disappearing, is it just me or is every monster blinking out of existence for a frame or two when it gets killed, like right before the model is switched to gibs, or right before an execution is performed? Like they're switching the mesh but the alternate mesh is a tiny, barely noticeable bit delayed.

i think i'm just too accustomed to the community wad, to appreciate so few monsters

i cannot anymore, i want to see at least 10-20 enemies every time i open a door : ), not maybe in the first level but you got the point

Antroid said:

Speaking of things disappearing, is it just me or is every monster blinking out of existence for a frame or two when it gets killed, like right before the model is switched to gibs, or right before an execution is performed? Like they're switching the mesh but the alternate mesh is a tiny, barely noticeable bit delayed.

Yeah, I noticed that too. In the beginning of the demo, after some of the imps get shot with the shotgun, their models disappear and they just turn into a small pile of gibs. Hopefully they fix that by the time they release the game.