Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Hell Invasion [PLAY-TESTERS WELCOME]

DOWNLOAD LINK AVAILABLE!

DOWNLOAD VERSION 0.15_31: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wmsq7zpm9qn4tl1/hellinv15_31.wad/file
PLEASE NOTE: DIFFICULTY SETTINGS HAVE NOT BEEN IMPLEMENTED YET AND THE CURRENT DIFFICULTY IS HMP, WHICH IS THE INTENDED DIFFICULTY FOR THIS WAD.

All maps are designed to enable pistol start and I personally test each map that way. But the project itself was made with continuous play in mind.

Contains the following maps:
MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, MAP07, MAP08, MAP09, MAP10, MAP12, MAP13, MAP 15, MAP24, MAP31

Wad Info (PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAYING):

Spoiler

IWAD: Doom II
Sourceport: GZdoom 1.8.6 (Zandronum 3.0 dev runs on that right?)

JUMPING AND CROUCHING IS MANDATORY!

PLEASE TURN OFF INFINITELY TALL ACTORS AND TURN ON FREELOOK. THIS WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF FRUSTRATION.
Extra Info: For best results, play with sector light mode set to "Doom" or at the very least, without doing it on Bright, Legacy or Dark. It causes areas to become either brighter or darker than intended. But it doesn't make the wad unplayable.

Before you ask, this isn't an Invasion wad.

Ever since I got a hold of Doom Builder 2, I wanted to make a megawad of my own. This is that megawad.

Here are some MAP12 screenshots:

XT4ITeu.png

Map Index:

Spoiler

Map01- Godspeed - Complete (There's a minor bug with the scrolling floor)
Map02- Outer Fort - Complete
Map03- Inner Fort - Needs to be remade
Map04- Target Acquired - Needs to be remade
MAP05- Duped! - Needs to be remade
MAP06- The Complex - Complete

MAP07- This Again? - Complete

MAP08- Communications Base - Complete

MAP09- Among The Enemy - Complete
MAP10- Bad Lighting - Complete

MAP11- True Target - 0%

MAP12- Round 2 - Complete
MAP13- Sinking Sanctuary - Complete
MAP14 - The Flooded Base - Needs to be remade

MAP15 - Radioactive Poop Water- Complete
MAP24 - The City that Time Forgot - Complete

MAP31 - Go to Space - Complete

Features:

Spoiler

-An RPG-ish system of examining objects. (You press them and text pops up)
-Bosses! Lots of bosses (Not fully implemented)
-New HUD Face
-Custom Weapons ,Monsters and Textures (Mostly Downloaded from Realm667)
-Custom Music (From various games)

The HUD Face as a separate wad:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/27hnbh75h8ishbd/hellinvhud.wad

Edited by Zulk RS : Update 23 October 2023

So you're presenting us your project of a 32-level Megawad after completing only one room, if I understand?

And to change your level name, you have to edit the corresponding string (index 692) in DEHACKED.

looks nice so far... maybe add more detail on the floor...

About the custom title, do it via MAPINFO: create a file called napinfo.lmp and load it on some editors like slade or XWE or just do on slade (and XWE too, if i recall correctly) "Edit > Create New... > MAPINFO" in the latest version and then write down this code:

map map01 "insert map title"
next map02
sky1 sky1 0.0
music "d_runnin"

Oh hey, it's a square room, everyone's favourite.

You really need more to show than just one very simple, uninteresting room.

For custom mapnames, you can use DEHACKED (vanilla/boom) or MAPINFO (ZDoom and related ports).

So you make a room, not even a map and think "Hey, I should do a megawad! Hey everybody! Look! I made a room! I'm going to make 32 maps now"

Or he\she\it will make a megawad made only of a room!
I can imagine it. This could be another silly restriction CP idea! Yahooo!

walter confalonieri said:

Or he\she\it will make a megawad made only of a room!
I can imagine it. This could be another silly restriction CP idea! Yahooo!

One Room of Doom?

Let's not.

I won't be as negative as everyone else. I say go for it! Try your hardest if you want to make it good. However don't use this as your marketing campaign. It's gonna give you a lot of negative feedback, as you may see.

My first serious project was a megawad attempt and I actually made 20 not-entirely-shitty maps. I say go for it but don't push yourself too much. Screenshot looks okay.

joe-ilya said:

So you make a room, not even a map and think "Hey, I should do a megawad! Hey everybody! Look! I made a room! I'm going to make 32 maps now"

What did you do before you decided to make megawads?

joe-ilya said:

So you make a room, not even a map and think "Hey, I should do a megawad!"

That's what I always do...

40oz said:

What did you do before you decided to make megawads?

I was a newbie just like him, I guess I should understand his feelings.

Sorry for creating a negative impression. I'm just really excited for this.
Anyway, I edited the starting room a little and made a train.

The Sky looks a bit weird to me. Your criticism is very valuable.

Also, I was able to make a custom title via mapinfo.lmp (thanks
walter confalonieri).

Can anyone tell me how to give a horizon effect, please?

Thanks!

There should be a linedef action "Line -> Line Horizon". Use it on 1-sided linedefs on the room's edges.

Why do train maps always have to have two slopes on the side?

Anyways, the updated version looks quite a lot better.

I just hope you realize how much work 32 maps is. 32 is quite a lot. Actually, if you ever want someone to help map you could always find some people to make a few maps. I know I'd do it if I like what I saw in the rest of the wad. And you could still hold pretty much creative reign over most of the project.

Whymes5 said:

I just hope you realize how much work 32 maps is.

Yupyupyup. Usually you should try and get a handle on the quirks and intricacies of Doom Builder & Doom itself before attempting a 32-map megawad, as there's likely to be a large disparity between your first and final maps. Good to see some enthusiasm for mapping though!

Can someone please help me with the music in this megawad?

I need to eliminate the time the it takes to start up and loop, in these midis and I'm also looking for a few midi's as well.

I'm looking for Midis of these themes:

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Cornered theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx0zW3MkaA0

Phantasy Star 4 - Dungeon Arrange 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQB54LjTFA

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - An empty tome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXRV7wkeyo

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Chapel Hidden in Smoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Feh1QvEEE

Lufia and The Ruins of Lore - History of Gratz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU1-95S51k&index=33&list=PLDC8BD6842F9AB998

Megaman Battle Network 3 - Theme of Megaman BN 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dfi5uJ2thw&list=PL40D70D87E6313A51

If anyone can find these, It'll be really nice.

Thanks.

EDIT: On second thought, I won't need to remove the start-up time. Just midis of the above themes. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I for one like your thinking zulk and I'm in a similar boat. I been using db2 for a few years now and I've always wanted to do a megawad of my own, which I am in the process of. What others are saying about it being a lot of work is correct, but I tend to make larger maps (a good mix of short and long maps will save you some time/effort and please the doom gods). Also, pace yourself so you don't get burned out. I've gone through that a few times since I began the mega. Anyway, I love the look of your first map so far and when it needs it I will definitely test it for you, if that's what you want. I also understand the excitement you feel, I get it too (I started drawing level designs in a notebook when I'm not home, is that bad? Lol).

I can't help on the music, I haven't gotten that far yet (I love Doom's own music, though I want to eventually add the music from the Smothered Hope wad in one level cause the author rocked that shit). I can help with certain, select things though and will offer my help when it'd be of use.

Also, as many people have told me here: watch the square rooms. I've noticed that they attract trolls (which is weird cause I remember many square, flat, "boring" rooms, and long, narrow, featureless halls that are also flat in the original doom). But I suppose we have been spoiled by great developers, like many of the members here, so you need to put out your best visual caviar to please most people that aren't me.

I say it's good and keep up the good work!

joe-ilya said:

I did this once, and given how this was literally my first try at Doom Builder ever, I can say that it... kinda worked... after I reduced my goal from megawad to a 7 level episode wad.

This guy already knows how to draw a square room and put some detail on it. Can't see why this can't become something worth playing.

Zulk-RS said:

Can someone please help me with the music in this megawad?

I need to eliminate the time the it takes to start up and loop, in these midis and I'm also looking for a few midi's as well.

I'm looking for Midis of these themes: ...

See if you can find any on vgmusic.com.

Zulk-RS said:

Regarding the music issue, I know I'll get in trouble for copyright if I use MP3s. So if I convert an MP3 to MIDI, will I still get in copyright trouble?

I've asked myself that same question. I would say no, but I may be wrong. There are several wads that use music from different games (I think Community Chest is the most guilty to my knowledge), so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Again, I may be wrong though.

JudgeDeadd said:

See if you can find any on vgmusic.com.

I wonder why I didn't find this site in the first 5 pages of google?

Anyway, I found some of the themes I was looking for.

-A Chapel Hidden In Smoke.
-Megaman BN 3 theme.

All of the track names have been changed so I haven't found Dungeon Arrange #2 yet.

Thanks.

P.S: I'm actually quite surprised that vgmusic.com has tracks from Order of Ecclesia, Cirle of the Moon and Apollo Justice but doesn't have the games best tracks.

No "An Empty Tome", No Dracula's Theme and No Objection or Cornered themes.
You'd think these would be more easily available.

EDIT: I did not check the new files section. I found AP:AA Objection there

Fonze said:

Also, as many people have told me here: watch the square rooms. I've noticed that they attract trolls (which is weird cause I remember many square, flat, "boring" rooms, and long, narrow, featureless halls that are also flat in the original doom). But I suppose we have been spoiled by great developers, like many of the members here, so you need to put out your best visual caviar to please most people that aren't me.

The square room thing isn't just for looks. It's no fun to fight in rooms like that, because they usually have doors or hallways connecting them making it boring to just snipe the monsters from the doorway and makes the gameplay very grindy. There tends to be less variety in the map then too. Even if you add some sort of trap, it's just something you dont want to use too much of. Of course some is OK...