Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mercuriusfm

I make soundtracks

Hi,

I'm a music producer (mostly electronic), and I've been getting into creating game soundtracks. I would like to do some more stuff and would be interested in possibly putting together soundtracks for promising mods/tc's etc.

As for experience, I've done 3 game soundtracks for game jams (24-48 hr game dev contests). I contributed soundtracks to 3 winning games so far. I've linked below some examples of my work.

I'm also considering releasing an album of soundtrack music specifically for playing Doom to, so this way anyone can use it for fun or their mod as long as credit is given.

Composer Demo Reel

Dinosaur Story Soundtrack (8-bit light hearted)

Aztec Vector Soundtrack (tribal)

I'm available if you like what you hear!

I really like what I hear.

Unfortunately, I'm neither rich nor a god-tier mapper, so I can't be of any use to you.

^LOL, dude. thats funny.
You dont need to be god tier.
I think a lot of modders are way too modest (which is a funny play on words too).
That's kinda why I'm leaning towards a Doom re-soundtracking album.

I really like your work!

How does an FPS/platformer hybrid TC using a modified Eternity engine wherin you play as a stoner cat in a strange cyberpunk world fighting evil borg/nazi rabbits and anarchist pirate dogs in order to save the world with a legendary giant bong of destiny sound to you? :P The Light Years Away EP is a good example of the kind of music I'd be going for (as well as a good variety of other styles).

Note to anyone familiar with the project: Yes, there is progress being made. I'm just ultra-quiet about it until I'm 100% satisfied with whatever I show. I've got his jump feeling just like the Super Mario Bros 1 jump, and the hub map is coming together nicely (it's pretty huge too).

You got any ambient stuff? I'm looking for some Quake-esque music for a map of mine and at the moment I'm using Damnation off the Quake OST as a placeholder, which should give you an example of the mood I'm looking for.

Sodaholic said:

I really like your work!

How does an FPS/platformer hybrid TC using a modified Eternity engine wherin you play as a stoner cat in a strange cyberpunk world fighting evil borg/nazi rabbits and anarchist pirate dogs in order to save the world with a legendary giant bong of destiny sound to you? :P The Light Years Away EP is a good example of the kind of music I'd be going for (as well as a good variety of other styles).

Note to anyone familiar with the project: Yes, there is progress being made. I'm just ultra-quiet about it until I'm 100% satisfied with whatever I show. I've got his jump feeling just like the Super Mario Bros 1 jump, and the hub map is coming together nicely (it's pretty huge too).

I'd have to see some gameplay to say so!

Obsidian said:

You got any ambient stuff? I'm looking for some Quake-esque music for a map of mine and at the moment I'm using Damnation off the Quake OST as a placeholder, which should give you an example of the mood I'm looking for.

I do actually. I'll try to upload some demos this weekend for that. :)

mercuriusfm said:

I'd have to see some gameplay to say so!

Of course, I wasn't implying that I wanted you to start making stuff without seeing evidence of the game's potential. I was just curious if you thought the idea sounded fun, is all.

Hey mercuriusfm, great job with the songs you've made! I really liked the first part of your composer demo reel. I could definitely see 0:00-1:20 in a doom map. The only reason I cut it off there is the synth effect that kicks in at that point. I think it sounds awesome and totally fits the song, but too much electronic sounds like that doesn't sound like doom to me (just one nobody's oppinion). I really hope that someone uses your music in their wad(s) as it makes a great soundtrack.
Keep up the awesome work bro!

Fonze said:

Hey mercuriusfm, great job with the songs you've made! I really liked the first part of your composer demo reel. I could definitely see 0:00-1:20 in a doom map. The only reason I cut it off there is the synth effect that kicks in at that point. I think it sounds awesome and totally fits the song, but too much electronic sounds like that doesn't sound like doom to me (just one nobody's oppinion). I really hope that someone uses your music in their wad(s) as it makes a great soundtrack.
Keep up the awesome work bro!

I appreciate the compliment. The demo reel was designed to show off my diversity, so it is pretty all over the place.
I kinda see your point on the synthetic aspect of Doom music, however, Bobby Prince was pretty diverse in his sound design. I feel like, if it's done in good taste and dramatically, it could work. But yeah, each project is different too.

Yeah man, I agree. I should clarify that I was thinking like an original Doom map. I could see that first part as the song for a level like E2M1, it'd fit so well. After the synth kicks in, it sounds more like a modern Doom map, like the one in the thread "only as an inspiration..." Partially due to the techno feel of it compared to what was mostly heavy metal in the first one.

I'd also like to say that Aztec was cool as well, it sounds like something I'd expect to hear with a modern looking forest map like sergeantmarkIV's map displayed on YouTube.

I'm always on the look out for alternative Doom and Doom 2 soundtracks as it gets a bit boring hearing the same tunes over and over again while playing WADs that don't replace the vanilla tracks. Is that something you'd consider putting together? Just a music replacement WAD? :)

Your stuff sounds good. I really need to get to work on some maps/mods. I got a ton of wip stuff that needs music. :P

Gave it a listen! Great stuff here. Consider writing a track for ROP 2015. Its a Heretic themed community project. Song should be medieval themed. And remember, Doom engine reads straight MIDI.

Hey thanks everyone for the positive response.
Feel free to PM me.
I definitely need to look into being able to save working MIDI files for the purists out there.
I'll also look at some of the stuff you guys mentioned.

Egregor said:

Gave it a listen! Great stuff here. Consider writing a track for ROP 2015. Its a Heretic themed community project. Song should be medieval themed. And remember, Doom engine reads straight MIDI.

<thread hijack>
If you still need MIDI submissions, is it cool if I submit one too?