Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taufan99

Birthday maps, how do they work?

Hello guys! I'm going to have a birthday on August 27th, and I would like to have some birthday maps. The problem is, I don't know how to ask people to make birthday maps. Is there a guide regarding birthday maps I can read?

Also, sorry if I'm posting in a wrong forum, this is my first time here.

Welcome to the forums! Birthday map requests are as simple as saying so, which you already did. Perhaps clarifying what kind of maps you prefer would help to ensure that you'll get what you like. Then if someone will feel like making a map for you, he will do so. This is generally less likely to happen when you're new (unknown) here, and also when you post the request too long time ahead of your birthday (more than one week :)) - people will most probably forget. Birthday maps are rarely maps that people put a lot of time and effort into, they're often short speedmaps instead. But of course, these are just my practical observations, there are no "rules" about birthday maps at all. By the way, discussion related to custom maps usually goes to "Wads & Mods" forum.

scifista42 said:

and also when you post the request too long time ahead of your birthday (more than one week :)) - people will most probably forget.

Okay, I will post my request again in July or August. :)

I once made a library maze map that spelled out "happy birthday" for my brother. Sadly I don't think either of us have kept it. I didn't realise birthday maps were "a thing"

People don't do birthday maps to new members, only those who stayed active for over a year and built their image, those people get birthday maps. Or personal people.

joe-ilya said:

People don't...

OMG, speak for yourself. I don't even remember any previous newcomers who asked for birthday maps, so I don't know how did you come up with those generalizations.

Birthday maps were originally surprise gifts. The more recent trend of actively asking people to give you stuff seems kind of tacky to me.

But how do you give someone a surprise gift if you don't know their birthday date?

esselfortium said:

Birthday maps were originally surprise gifts. The more recent trend of actively asking people to give you stuff seems kind of tacky to me.

Not necessarily. If someone on here said, "I want a blank themed map for my birthday," I think it would be really fun to make it and it would make me feel pretty damn good if they enjoyed it.

Memfis said:

But how do you give someone a surprise gift if you don't know their birthday date?

Some of us are facebook friends or Skype contacts, where we can get that information. But traditionally, people would post "today's my birthday" in the blogs section and out of the kindness of my heart I'd think "hey hes is a pretty cool guy, ill dedicate my next map to him" and try to speedmap something I think he might like before the day is over (I've always been weary about buying gifts for people. The best gifts are made, not bought.) Somehow I managed to miscommunicate a sort of doomworld cultural tradition that when its your birthday, your entitled to maps being made in your honor, which makes it feel more like an obligation than a gesture.

You're not supposed to ask for birthday maps, it's just supposed to be a nice gesture by your doom mapper friends.

@scifista42

scifista42 said:

This is generally less likely to happen when you're new (unknown) here, and also when you post the request too long time ahead of your birthday (more than one week :)) - people will most probably forget. Birthday maps are rarely maps that people put a lot of time and effort into, they're often short speedmaps instead.

joe-ilya said:

People don't do birthday maps to new members, only those who stayed active for over a year and built their image, those people get birthday maps. Or personal people.

Same meaning, mine is straight forward. And if you say "speak for yourself" do so too, because you're refering to what people do and how they react, just like I did.

joe-ilya said:

Same meaning

No, it's not. The difference is that you present your own thoughts (including details like "over a year", requirement of "image") as if it was a general truth, while in fact - such a situation didn't ever happen to base any generalizations on. On the other hand, I've tried to speak from my experience.

Who reads blogs?

And you can't tell me you can remember every little acquaintance's birthday unless they remind you or know them well enough to immediately know what they would like for their birthdays.

I don't see the problem asking for maps as long as you aren't demanding or being a tool. The worst thing that can happen is people say no, so why not just chance it and get some cool stuff to play? It's not like you're forcing people to make things for you, if they do make something they clearly want to.

My birthday is on February 15. May I make a request, if that's okay? I'd like to see Doom The Way id Did PSX style. With Aubrey Hodges music, colored lighting the whole shebang. And I want a large Cacodemon cake, with John Romero hiding inside ready to spring out with Hissy and other Doom plushies. That would be the best birthday ever. EVER.

esselfortium said:

It's an excuse to map. I'll take it :^)

I think i have been on DW since 2013 and i have never even thought about asking for, or wanting any bday maps, so it was interesting to read this 'short' thread.

I always thought it where people only here to try and build a name for themselves, or people wanting to feel important on doomworld like certain undisclosed posters here whom where asking for them. Lol.

My own birthday's coming up pretty soon, too, funny enough. 2 weeks from now to be exact. I'm not saying that to request a WAD, just felt like bringing it up.

My birthday is in less than two weeks as well (July 3).
I never knew people made birthday maps, but I assume they're only for people who have close relations with the community, or have a fellow friend willing to make maps for others.

Memfis said:

The gift is no less a surprise if it's not their birthday. When in doubt, use a password-protected zip and PM the password when the recipient announces their birthday. ;)