Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

Setting up Basic Local Odamex Server?

I have been trying to set up an Odamex server on my local, off-line, closed network. The idea is to have some friends over for some Co-Op action.

I was reading this guide:

http://odamex.net/wiki/How_to_run_a_server

But apparently it is over my head.

I assumed that if I wanted to launch a basic server without any personalized tweaking, all I'd need to do is provide the DOOM WAD, Odamex, and launch the server, but alas, this does not seem to be enough.

It launches, says within the spew of text:

UPnP: AddPortMapping Failed: 718
Bound to local port 10666
UDP Initialized

Odamex Server Initialized
Map01: "enteryway"

I set the port forwarding in my Netgear router to the IP of the computer running the server and forwarded 718, but it does not help.
I also tried to forward 10666 - 10688 which resolved the error, but still nothing works, I can't even see the server on the same laptop. I wish the wiki had more details.

Any ideas?

That is the upnp failing. Most routers have this feature and Odamex uses it to automatically set and forward the port for you (so that you don't have to personally change any settings on the router). It looks as though it failed, perhaps your router doesn't support upnp or it is disabled. The 718 looks to be the error code, not a port number.

With that said, the server is actually running on port 10666. That is what you will need to forward on your router so that your friends will be able to see the server. Hope this helped!

Thank you for the reply, the router does state that it support UPnP so I should be fine.
As for the port forwarding, I changed it to this and now I can see the server on 1 computer, but not the one the server is running from or the others.

When I try to connect on that computer, the server window reflects this by saying the player has joined the game, but again I can't begin the game on the server computer via Odamex Launcher, nor can I see the server on my XBOX or other PC.

Does this line from odasrv mean that the server is restricted to 1 computer?

"UPnP: Discovering Router (max 1 unit supported)"

Also, I tried changing all the computer to static IP, connected them both via wifi and wired, but still, it's only the one machine that will see the service and connect to it.

Also I noticed earlier that the IP on the computer I am using as a server had changed, yet despite not matching the IP in the port forwarding config within the router, the other PC still saw the server.

Resolved, I was able to get on IRC (finally) ans they told me to add in the server manually (I forgot about that feature), which did the trick!

Breeder said:

Does this line from odasrv mean that the server is restricted to 1 computer?

"UPnP: Discovering Router (max 1 unit supported)

No, it just means that it only supports one router on the network.

Ralphis said:

No, it just means that it only supports one router on the network.

Thanks for the help on IRC today Ralphis!