Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Father's Day Maps?

It's Father's Day and I'm a father. When the celebrations and playing are over, a Doom map would hit the spot. Some of you may have noticed my recent thread in General about how fun concise maps are. I would enjoy maps that are atmospheric in the Master Levels style, concise or not.

Happy Father's Day to the rest of the Doomer dads!

scifista42 said:

Can it be ZDoom-only?

It can be vanilla, chocolate, ZDoom, anything. I'm not picky about that, sorry for not specifying earlier.

Hey man, I've been busy with other stuff, as well as having to work today, but would you be willing to accept a Father's Day map tomorrow? If so, I'll make a little (hopefully just) 10 minute map for you to enjoy. When I get home I just gotta finish some touch-ups on something else and then within 2 hours I should be able to crank something out that hopefully you'll enjoy. Being one of my first speedmapping attempts it may not look as polished as most of the members here put out, but it will be well balanced and feature differing difficulty levels, in case you want to take it easy or be a glutton for punishment for your (belated) Father's Day.

Let me know man, and happy Father's Day!

Fonze said:

Hey man, I've been busy with other stuff, as well as having to work today, but would you be willing to accept a Father's Day map tomorrow? If so, I'll make a little (hopefully just) 10 minute map for you to enjoy. When I get home I just gotta finish some touch-ups on something else and then within 2 hours I should be able to crank something out that hopefully you'll enjoy. Being one of my first speedmapping attempts it may not look as polished as most of the members here put out, but it will be well balanced and feature differing difficulty levels, in case you want to take it easy or be a glutton for punishment for your (belated) Father's Day.

Let me know man, and happy Father's Day!

Tomorrow would be great and thanks! :)

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Sure! I'll make one for ya.

Thanks, looking forward to it!

obake said:

Sorry for the late reply.

I'll make one, too.

Awesome, thanks!

Okay, I finally got a chance to play both. They were a lot of fun!

GRB, I wouldn't have guessed how much trouble that trap door would've given me, but I was really feeling the heat around the library area. Fun pick 'em up map!

MD922, thanks for the map. The music track was definitely the right selection ("I'll pet you and stroke you and name you 'little map,' oh no, you're eating my face off..." *trails into bloody gasp*). A great little map that was big on action!

Messed up some textures, might fix them later on.
I honestly hate all the maps I make. To me they aren't enjoyable, but thanks :)

Cacowad said:

"It's late! It's late!" Said the white bunny, here's a tardive map! https://www.mediafire.com/?o8thovbs8vo4mig

No difficult level implemented, tested only on zdoom, should be boom compatible. Happy post-father day :P

I'm gonna try it and report back, now that the baby is changed and napping. And no worries, every day is Father's Day. :)

Cacowad, thanks for the fun map. I particularly liked the clean architecture. It provided a lot of room for strategic gameplay while being aesthetically pleasing. Another good example of a map that checks all the boxes in a neat little package. I have to admit, I had to save the game part way through, which I usually don't do, but I enjoyed the challenging balance of lower-tier enemies.

We sure do have a lot of talented mappers in the community that can put out good quality maps in a short period of time! :)

Well Job, I lied :(

I thought I would have enough time tonight to attempt some speedmapping, after 3 hours I have only finished the level design :/
This map will be special for you though, it features 3 different ways to begin, depending on what gun you want. In addition, the differing difficulties will play out much differently, as I've done some teleport-magic/jumbling. Unfortunately it's not much in the realm of visuals, being quickly made, but I hope that the gameplay and level design will make up for that. :)

I'll finish this up later tonight and post it after I get some sleep and do my jobs for the day.

Fonze said:

Well Job, I lied :(

I thought I would have enough time tonight to attempt some speedmapping, after 3 hours I have only finished the level design :/
This map will be special for you though, it features 3 different ways to begin, depending on what gun you want. In addition, the differing difficulties will play out much differently, as I've done some teleport-magic/jumbling. Unfortunately it's not much in the realm of visuals, being quickly made, but I hope that the gameplay and level design will make up for that. :)

I'll finish this up later tonight and post it after I get some sleep and do my jobs for the day.

That sounds really cool, I can't wait to try it! :) Whenever you get chance to finish it is fine by me. I've just been enjoying all these great submissions.

I just started work on your map. It's turning out to be quite atmospheric.

I should hopefully have it done by tomorrow or the day after.

obake said:

I just started work on your map. It's turning out to be quite atmospheric.

I should hopefully have it done by tomorrow or the day after.

Wow, thanks, I can't wait to see it! :)

Hey Job, I just wanna let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I just haven't had time to do anything Doom related on the comp (I had family arive just today, last two days I've been cleaning in my off time). I should have some time to devote to it later tonight though.

I did have an hour night before last to do some stuff, so I worked on this map. I changed it to cube (^3) the replay value. Now each of the 3 difficulty levels also features 3 different enemy sets and starting points. I think I may have created a monster hahaha.

All that's left is my own playtesting to balance everything out and put in the last of the monsters. UV is done, HMP is partially done, and HNTR has few monsters placed so far. I won't give you another time to expect it, with family here I don't know how my schedule will change, but it is my top Doom priority, so soon. :)

*Edit* - spell check >.<

I'm absolutely pumped to try it, especially with all the hard work you're putting into it!

Sorry it's so late, but here it is:

the wad:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/13qtx6g41111zgf/father.zip

you'll also have to run the map with this wad, for all of the custom stuffs I've created:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fz86csc86271pii/M20.wad

The level is titled "Space Father", and is in Zdoom in Hexen format. The custom monsters are stuff I've created, mostly, though there are a few from Realm667 (none of which are used in this particular level). The music is by Aubrey Hodges.

Sounds cool obake, I'll have to try this one. Especially since you're helping me with my stuff. :)

But I'll prolly try all the maps on this thread when I get the chance, they all sound like fun.

obake said:

Sorry it's so late, but here it is:

the wad:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/13qtx6g41111zgf/father.zip

you'll also have to run the map with this wad, for all of the custom stuffs I've created:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fz86csc86271pii/M20.wad

The level is titled "Space Father", and is in Zdoom in Hexen format. The custom monsters are stuff I've created, mostly, though there are a few from Realm667 (none of which are used in this particular level). The music is by Aubrey Hodges.

Thanks for the map, definitely one of the perks to being a dad! :)

That said, even though you told me about some of the custom monsters, I definitely got caught off-guard by some, which is a good thing. You were right about the atmosphere, there are more than a few spots that really stuck out in my mind, especially the dark hallway slog with the light at the end. Overall, it brought me back to playing some of the Master Levels on PSX Final Doom, which is what I was hoping for!

Job said:

Thanks for the map, definitely one of the perks to being a dad! :)

That said, even though you told me about some of the custom monsters, I definitely got caught off-guard by some, which is a good thing. You were right about the atmosphere, there are more than a few spots that really stuck out in my mind, especially the dark hallway slog with the light at the end. Overall, it brought me back to playing some of the Master Levels on PSX Final Doom, which is what I was hoping for!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Small update to fix a couple things, contains the beginnings of another couple routes.

Current Version: 4

Who says every day can't be Father's Day?

My map for Job is back under construction for no apparent reason, I hope you enjoy the Hell out of it Job.

Details:
Required port: zDoom or better, map spots used.
Required iWad: Doom 2

No added textures. Everything done in DB2
Took about 40-48 hours to finish... more now

*Read the .txt file*
Or at least skim it

As with all of my maps, replay value was added, and is what UV is intended for.
*DO NOT start on UV*
In addition. I cubed (^3) the replay value, so there are now nine, yes 9, different ways to play this map, each with its own ammo/enemy set and starting gun/location (only 3 total starting locations, each difficulty level uses all 3). So just start on HNTR and work your way up. That's why I put em in there.

Texture alignment is 98+% with only a couple unavoidable spots that are barely noticeable. I take pride in my texturing; also, everything I do.

1 known bug:
1: purely visual. A rope that you can run across has a 2nd, dummy rope underneath of it. Could not be fixed, short of adding new textures.

*Features*

9 different ways to play, each with their own ammo/enemy sets and starting location/weapon.

3 more coming soon, for no reason

Revisiting old areas

Depopulation (lol autocorrect on phone, but I'll leave it and say this: and subsequent repopulation

Semi-non-linearity

A super not-so-secret message on the wall (get angry at it [it's a secret])

Columns that can actually be used it you absolutely love platforming, though it is completely unnecessary, lol (I love drunk me)

Remember jumping is technically cheating

Strafe-running not needed either

I will upload this to /idgames later.

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/gallery/RVMsG

Updated wad and .txt file in zipped folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyl4450sjjf6uba/FthrsDv4.zip?dl=0

Happy Father's Day to ALL fathers out there!