Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taufan99

Boom-compatible WADs?

Sorry if this sounds too demanding, especially since this comes straight from a newbie.
My main source port is ZDOOM, but I have started using other source port to experience different WADs and mods, such as Chocolate Doom.
Yesterday, I just downloaded PrBoom+, originally just for fun, but I start to fall in love with it too, and now I want to play some Boom-compatible WADs with it.
Can somebody tell me some Boom-compatible WADs I can download to start with PrBoom+?

Valiant and Sunlust are the recent ones:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71704-valiant-wad-now-on-idgames/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/68089-sunlust-betar3-released/

There's much more.

Make sure to play with "-complevel 9" parameter at launch. It enables original boom behavior. Though, to play Valiant, you need to play with "-complevel 11", because it's for MBF, which is extension of Boom.

Pretty much anything not stating it is for zdoom or something like eternity is boom compatible. The compatibilities go vanilla (doom2, crusades, scythe, alien vendetta, hell revealed, the classics basically), then boom compatible (more modern things like Valiant, I think Jenesis?, Speed of doom, Vela Pax), then zdoom wads (Threshold of pain, Cheogsh 2, thunderpeak, deus vult 2), then other source ports like eternity, doomsday, and risen3d with a few specific wads. So you're actually going down in compatibility requirements, since not everything plays zdoom wads, but almost everything plays boom compatibles. prboom + is simply using the software renderer, where zdoom uses a hardware renderer.

Wait, Deus Vult II isn't just ZDoom compatible, right? I'm pretty sure it has replacement music for ports that don't support it's usual songs and all the new stuff is in DeHackEd.

ArmouredBlood said:

prboom + is simply using the software renderer, where zdoom uses a hardware renderer.

ZDoom uses software renderer. GZDoom uses OpenGL.

Valiant is only Boom-compatible if by "Boom", you mean "PrBoom+". It uses MBF features.

There are other mods out there that are technically Boom-compatible if PrBoom+ is your only yardstick. Like Voodoo Guns for example.

You need a MBF compatible OpenGL port with support of hi-res textures in wads, MUSINFO lump, tall patches, and music in OGG format.

That means GLBoom+, GZDoom, and Risen3D.

Vela Pax is another example of "Boom-compatible, but not really":

- The only ports that will run these maps are PrBoom+, Eternity, ZDoom, and Zandronum. The maps are Boom compatible but require "strong" limit removing and ZDoom uncompressed node format features.

Obsidian said:

Wait, Deus Vult II isn't just ZDoom compatible, right? I'm pretty sure it has replacement music for ports that don't support it's usual songs and all the new stuff is in DeHackEd.

It works in PrBoom-Plus with -complevel 9. Huy used midis for standard music lumps and then used MAPINFO to point ZDoom towards the intended music, at least that's my recollection.. been a while.

ArmouredBlood said:

I'm not going to comment on anything except mapping anymore because I can't remember anything else doom-related anymore ...

Then, why are you replying to this thread? Doesn't that just make your statement kind of a paradox?