Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smelly Squirrel

XDRE: getting started

I really wanna try TASsing with Doom but I'm having trouble getting started.
I got XDRE to work for some part, but the xdre.ini file I found via the readme doesn't seem to hold all the right commands. For example I can't figure out how to enter that I wanna strafe to a side....

Also is it normal that the "Set keys..." option is greyed out when I click Options at the top?

I'm desperate for help, thanks in advance,
shoefight

Don't worry, just give me some time and I'll type all about XDRE. I'm a large XDRE user, as I love to TAS.

First off, you can change all the controls/inputs through the XDRE.ini. Default inputs should be: we#=mf# wq#=wb# sa#=sl# sd#=sr# re#=tl# rt#=tr# u=use f=fire g#=weapon One thing to always remember is that if you go over a wf/wb50+, the run is now turbo. And yes, "Set Keys..." is supposed to be blanked out. No idea why Xepop (creator) doesn't have that lead somewhere.

If you have any other questions, please reply back.

Oooooooooh a world just opened up to me.

so to strafe right my input should be: sd + number + spacebar
wow i had no idea, i thought "sd" shoulda done it.

Okay thanks a lot! Looks like I can get started now

SD of course wouldn't of done it, as XDRE wouldn't know what value of SD you'd want.

Right yeah. Well I wasn't familiar enough with the technical details I guess.
I've gotten it to work now but damn TASsing is like a whole new skill to learn...

I'm trying to get a 9second run on e1m1 (manually I can do 11s).
Is it best to start with a solid manual speedrun and then chafing off tics here and there?

Thanks immensely for your help

If you get a whole run to the end and want to "fix it up" you can't change random tics here and there. That will cause RNG to change and your movement to change.9 seconds on E1M1 has already been done HUMANNLY. (My DSDA page has a 9 second run) So your goal should at least be 8, and that was done without any building, just PrBoom+'s tools. E1M1's UV-Speed TAS record is 7 by Looper, the doom God.

I think doom2 map01 without monsters in 4 seconds is good practice. It doesn't require magic tricks, just pretty good regular strafe50 running and good exit door. And the map is short!

MD922 said:

Don't worry, just give me some time and I'll type all about XDRE. I'm a large XDRE user, as I love to TAS.

I assume you are on about a guide? I have been waiting for something like this for bare time either that or I am just plain not looking hard enough.

Eh, I could potentially do a guide. Though, that will take LOTS of time :p