Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Gay marriage is legal nationwide in the US

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/same-sex-marraige-legal-nationwide-supreme-court-rules-n375551

NBC News said:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday made marriage for same-sex couples legal nationwide, declaring that refusing to grant marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples violates the Constitution.

The landmark ruling will produce the most significant change in laws governing matrimony since the court struck down state bans on inter-racial marriage almost 50 years ago.

The majority opinion in the 5-4 decision was written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were," Kennedy wrote. "As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves.

Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

Rejoice LGBT supporters. I'm glad the US finally came to its senses.

On the other hand, there aren't many benefits -from a legal-financial-professional standpoint- to being married anymore, so most governments are bound to say "Hell, why not?" at some point.

They don't care who's doing the pitchin' and who the catchin', as soon as those pesky family contributions and subsidies are out of the way, so they aren't really doing anyone any favors here.

Apart from all the people who couldn't get married are now able to, which is a pretty huge favour in my book, despite the fact I have no personal interest in marriage.

It's also a step towards a more happy less homophobic future.

While not gay myself, I'm glad that this happened. In all honesty, it should never have been a question. Anyone should be able to marry anybody he/she wants.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

While not gay myself, I'm glad that this happened. In all honesty, it should never have been a question. Anyone should be able to marry anybody he/she wants.

I think a lot of these social issues that ought to be no-brainers are topics heavily perpetuated by the economic elite benefiting from the status quo, since they feel much more comfortable over the country being busy tackling those issues rather than finding time to talk about actual scary stuff that concerns them like economic reform.

OK by me.

Maes said:

On the other hand, there aren't many benefits -from a legal-financial-professional standpoint- to being married anymore, so most governments are bound to say "Hell, why not?" at some point.

Common law pretty much destroyed whatever advantage marriage had over this rising cucular secular generation.

All of the GLTB that I knew 15 years ago in college can finally get married... too bad they've all gone straight, married the opposite sex, had kids and become non GLTB. One lesbian I know married a man for his health insurance. 10 years later and still married with 3 kids, its clear she married him for health insurance.

Anyway, I'm glad they can finally marry the same gender or be what they want. Its one step closer to Star Trek harmony where aliens are the enemies. I just want people happy and productive. When straight families and their kids attend the gay pride parade for the spectacle of it all.... no one cares if you're GLTB anymore. The generation that cared is dead or dying.

geo said:

10 years later and still married with 3 kids, its clear she married him for health insurance.

Heh, LGBT "white marriages"?

Ouch...now I realized that all those pro-immigration activists can now each marry one (or more) illegal migrants, get shagged till their eyes pop out with Habib schlong, and society foots the bill. Great.

Maes said:

Heh, LGBT "white marriages"?

Ouch...now I realized that all those pro-immigration activists can now each marry one (or more) illegal migrants, get shagged till their eyes pop out with Habib schlong, and society foots the bill. Great.

America prints money to cover all of it. That's the beauty of being a country. Ha in debt.... not when we keep those printers rolling.

There was that governor of New Jersey that came out of the closet. Now that his wife and 2 kids know.... he's still married. Kudos to them for publicly knowing what they've already known.

Then there's a new show on Netflix about 2 old actresses that discover their old actor husbands are gay together and they're getting dumped instead of divorced. Its a comedy. I'm not sure how its a comedy when 80% of it is crying and screaming. Well one of the actresses is a drunk party girl with 2 gay sons so comedy I guess... Gay characters are always the comic relief and that's how they're so accepted.

geo you are misguided to feed off a shit from Maes. He has absolutely no credibility and posts drunk most of the time in order to antagonize westerners.

TheCupboard said:

geo you are misguided to feed off a shit from Maes. He has absolutely no credibility and posts drunk most of the time in order to antagonize westerners.

That's fine I post with no sleep. Kinda the same wave length as being drunk. 7 hours of programming done today with only 8 more hours to go after a lunch break. To think I was looking forward to work today because it was going to be "easy" ha ha silly me.

So now I'm here at Doomworld to let off steam and amuse myself.

Anyway, gay marriage is a good thing. Now they can be taxed and get tax breaks and have something to work towards, because most of the GLTB I've know move in together then they laugh saying "that's what we call a second date." How true it is.

I always thought the hold up for gay marriage was a religious church hating gays... But government can still marry them much cheaper at a courthouse.

Oh God, no! Now that gay marriage is legal, I'll be forced to be gay-married even though I have no interest in getting gay-married! I mean, obviously that's why we've been against it for so long, right? I can't think of any other reason why you'd be against letting other people make their own decisions if it doesn't affect you, after all.

Reminder if you have a problem with this you actually hate America and the Constitution.

What is marriage? It's a civil union, a contract, between two people agreeing to become "one" under the law. It is a government institution, it has no basis in religion or anything other than contract law. What does the Constitution (the actual constitution, no amendment) say in the contract clause? That no state has the ability to infringe upon contracts between two people. Therefore states can't tell you you can't get married. Furthermore the 14th amendment and civil rights act both stipulate that all laws must be applied equally to everyone. So unless you hate the constitution you support gay marriage.

Now religious marriage is another thing entirely as it is a separate institution with no legal binding and it can do whatever the fuck it wants. So gay people are happy, religious people can keep saying their marriages don't exist in the eyes of the church and people who are just plain tired of hearing about gay shit are happy too. Today is a wonderful day and if you have a problem with it allow me to provide a list of wonderful things you also probably hate.

Puppies, Santa, Christmas, general joy, and blowjobs.

Kind of an empty victory, like when your lifelong love obsession finally starts paying attention to you after she has 5 kids and gains 100 pounds. The institution of marriage was infiltrated and destroyed by the government long ago.

Took them long enough. Now it's time to watch and see if those who promised to do something drastic if this was passed follow through.

Now if they would do the very same thing with abortion being a permanent option in the US, we could push onto more pressing matters as well.

Job said:

The revenants are a little less agitated now.

I am very very sorry [sort of nsfw but not really it's just 2 sprites edited together in an immature way]

Spoiler

bony matrimony.png

Maes said:

They don't care who's doing the pitchin' and who the catchin', as soon as those pesky family contributions and subsidies are out of the way, so they aren't really doing anyone any favors here.

Really? I don't know about Murca's laws, but marriage still soundly beats "registered partnership" here in CZ and just living in one household with another person can get you screwed over when it matters. Adoption of your significant other's kids, strength of your inheritance claim, dowry, the right to be informed about their health... some of those might have changed in the recent years for registered partnerships, but it's a slow process and "a roomie with benefits" gets none of it. Not to mention our Christian Democrats and their constant struggle to define a "traditional family" and award them additional tax advantages. And we're one of the most atheistic nations on the planet.

Heck, I've just read about your PM Tsipras and how he's not married, because him and his partner are atheists and marriages have to be sanctioned by the Orhodox Church in Greece... is that true or is that hack journalism bullshit? Cause that's some medieval-sounding shit right there, heh.

Aliotroph? said:

In Europe? WTF!

Welp, fuck... my bad trusting google translate. Widow annuity sounds like what I was trying to convey, heh.