Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bfollowell

Did Doom or Doom 2 CDs have CD Audio?

Somehow I screwed up and posted this as a blog post, so I'm posting again as a general forum post. Sorry for the double post.

The subject pretty much says it all. The originals have been around as digital downloads for so long, and since I had the originals on disks, I wasn't certain about CD audio. I know Quake and both official add-ons, as well as Quake 2 and both of its official add-ons all had CD audio tracks. Does anyone know if Doom, Doom 2, or any of Heretics and Hexens had cd audio?

Thanks.

Hexen has CD audio. Although it doesn't sound very different from what you can hear with SoundCanvas.

Doom games and Heretic only have MIDI.

I don't recall Doom or Doom 2 having CD audio, though I think if you have the Playstation version of Doom you could put it into your cd player and listen to some of the tracks. I'll have to double check that, though.

Da Werecat said:

Hexen has CD audio. Although it doesn't sound very different from what you can hear with SoundCanvas.

It's also missing some tracks compared to the MUS version.

No. The Doom games have been shipped on CD-ROM multiple times but none have had any audio tracks on them.

The closest to that is Hexen, a Doom-engine game that includes recordings of a subset of some of the game's MIDI music, recorded via some kind of high-quality MIDI playback (probably a Roland SC-55 or similar). If you configure it correctly, the DOS version of Hexen can play the music tracks from the CD instead of using hardware MIDI playback (which at the time of release in most computers would typically have been low-quality OPL FM synthesis).

I remember a rare shareware/PWADs CD which claimed to include an audio track of E1M1.

The first iteration of CD audio for Doom was PSX Doom I believe. There are some MP2's floating around that sound a lot like Doom as CD Audio.