Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fonze

Giant world?

Wondering if there are any giant world maps, or giant player maps for that matter (tiny world).

Been drinking while putting some time into this map for Job, decided to experiment with making the map proportionately bigger, on all 3 axes. It looks funny. This was a concept I have been wanting to implement into a map for a while, and while I won't do it on this map, I was wondering if there were any examples of the concepts of giant and tiny maps.

Don't drink and map, sunshine shit's illegal. Try Planisphere 2 which is quite a big map if you're looking for an actual city map. Not sure if you're looking for realism in the sense of world or what.

I'm pretty sure that he's looking for actual upscaled or downscaled maps in comparison with realistic-like proportions of the depicted objects.

Nice man, I'm gonna have to check this out soon. Though the name leaves me guessing as to what I'll find... Lol. Idk, in the meantime I may release this map in both forms, with the giant world more as a joke and funny concept than anything. I think I'll leave the change in "z" height, which will require jumping, as it just sets it off haha. It'll only be a tiny bit of extra work at the end to make it happen. Even if nobody gives it a look, it'll make me laugh.

I could also put this concept into my megawad. Let me know if this sounds like it would work and be a good idea:

Make a dummy map, or implement it into a small map, where you have to run forward to expand or shrink in size. This would be to make you run through a series of invisible teleporters in invisible walls, teleporting you to different maps that all look the same but change in size to simulate your perspective changing.

A couple maps come to mind but I can't remember their names. One was an old vanilla map that had a big dining room with dinner table and chairs. Another was a zdoom map where you got bigger and smaller.

There's also map20 in the zdoom wad of dmp2013.zip. It's set in a giant bathroom with a gross murder scene.

Void shrinks you down for a section in the map, you have to go into a contraption to fix it and fight spiders.

Nice, I'm gonna have to check those out, ty yall

*Edit*
Does my earlier post sound like something that would be enjoyable? Or does it sound like itd be too confusing or cheesy?

Fonze said:

Does my earlier post sound like something that would be enjoyable? Or does it sound like itd be too confusing or cheesy?

It would really depend on the execution. I wouldn't put any high hopes into the idea at all, until I see it executed well.

Well, I stated one way that it could be executed, though to be more specific one what I meant:
You start off by running into a room (let's say for this example you are normal size and about to be shrunk. This room you run into has invisible lines that either come in diagnolly or parallel to you, to either funnel you in or just force you one direction. Of course everything would have to be stated with dialogue first, to give you some idea of what's about to happen. When you reach the middle of the room, an invisible teleporter takes you to an identical room, right where you teleported (so your not teleporting backward while running forward), that is proportionally bigger. The textures would prolly stay the same, so the room would have to be specially designed to be have more 3D elements than 2D flat textures so there is less to notice that doesn't change. The new rooms that you teleport into would all have a 128x64 invisible fence that you 'port into then promptly 'port out of. You would have to just run forward. Through the wonders of teleporters (keep orientaion setting), you don't need to face forward the whole time, you could back or strafe into all of them to see any angle of the room changing around you. Of course, if you stop running, so does the animation; maybe I could arrange a timer to kill you if you take too long, which would also be explained in the dialogue.

As for what it would look like, well, we all have imaginations here. I would imagine that 20-30 (we'll call them) "frames" would be enough to animate being shrunk/enlarged.

Of course, there are other ways to do it, this is just the first that came to mind.

This is what I was referring to when I asked if it sounds cool or cheesy, you don't need to see it implemented to give an opinion. ;p

If it needs dialogues, invisible fences, forcing the player into certain ways, unsmooth viewpoint transitions during changing height, secret teleports between different rooms looking the same and relying on lack of map objects (like dead enemies on the floor) that would give it away, and whatever unintuitively behaving scripts, then I can already tell you that I don't like the idea.

The viewpoint would never jump, it's not hard to make a series of teleporters that the player is unaware of. The landscape would jump by a few pixels at a time, to save map space/lines. Hell, if people really need it to get into it, even stuff like dead bodies could be edited to change in size (through decorate and trickery means) and textures could be changed in size as well. It may even be possible to put a slow-mo-type of effect where the screen seems to blur as it changes, similar to the flashbang effects in other games. If that don't work, fog effects could blur players' vision just enough to make it believable.

As for forcing the player to run in order to make it work, that's just due to Dooms limitations, though teleportation could prolly be set on a timer. But even that would require invisible walls or you'd constantly be jumping every teleport when you move.

So how would you go about doing it then?