Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PRS\66

Reply to Strife full game

How do you know that I wanted to copy the game instead of bying it. I never said that, so please do not assume "Because when you Assume you make an "ass out of you and me" thanks PRS\66

Actually, Strife isn't commercially available anymore although some online CD re-sellers like this one still might have a copy. But indeed, requests for warez aren't allowed here.

A couple of things to do when you get your copy:

Check the version. Even though I got mine relatively recently (about 3 years ago) it was not the most recent version. I think I got ver 1.1 or maybe 1.0 but you can get patches to take it to 1.3 - I think - (try the patches/updates page on DW, I think they are there). This is worth doing as there are a number of improvements in the game. The most significant of these would be in the early versions you generate a character, and all games are saved for that character as one slot (effectively only giving you 1 savegame slot per game). Later versions allow multiple saves.

Also, there is an AVI intro that plays using a DOS based player program. Unfortunately this program does not work on fast machines (crashes with a run time error). I tried running TPPatch on the player prog. TPPatch is a little tool to fix turbo pascal programs that had this problem, but it didn't work. You can't simply watch the AVI using Windows media player because there is something odd in the format. You only get to see the first few seconds of the intro, then it quits. I did find another DOS based AVI player that played the whole thing, but I can't find that now. :-(

The AVI is still pretty short, but is quite cool. If anyone knows how to get it working/ or convert it so it works in windows players, I would appreciate finding out. I've tried loads of tools, and failed every time.

OK, I got my own interest going.

This prog http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/ can play the Strife intro AVI.

And this prog ftp://ftp.sumrallworks.com/pub/downloads/multi-media/vfd17.zip can convert it to other formats, but you will loose the sound. I have converted it to an Autodesk animator FLC and an AVI that plays fully in Windows Media Player.

Now, if I can find a prog to rip the sound out, I might be able to put one together that plays fully in Win Media Player.

OK, success with the AVI.

I played the original using QV and used my sound card's own internal capture routine to convert the sound played to a WAV. (It sounds just like the original - which wasn't great.) Then I used the AVI made with VFD, and put them both together in a self executing Bink video made with RAD video tools. The file Zips to 6.08 MB. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to put that on the internet. If anyone thinks it might be valuable, and they want to put it on their site, I can send it, but I don't have the connection speed to send out loads of copies.

RAD video (used by a lot of commercial games - worth getting to look at their videos - usually SMK or BNK extention).

http://www.radgametools.com/default.htm

I'm interested in something like this. tripod.com gives you about 50MB, and they're relatively fast. Just pop your BINK file in a Zip, put it on Tripod, then hack up an INDEX.HTML that links to the ZIP. Done!

I already have a tripod account I use for temporarily uploading stuff, however, the rules are something like you maybe have 50MB of space (actually, I think I have 100) but you can't upload big files. There is a limit of around 2.5 MB. I guess it must be in the small print somewhere, but I didn't find out until I tried to upload a 4MB file and it was rejected with a message that told me about the limit.

Get something like WinRAR for easy splitting in to multiple archives (it can be done in WinZip, but only seems to work if you're zipping to a floppy, and all archives are named the same).

EDIT 2: That site that was linked here previously sucked. Go to this site instead, it's the correct site.

Hey dude I want to thank you for giving me some additional info on strife. I should be getting it in a few days. About that AVI probs I had the same probs with bloods cut scenes also, But if I have probs with the cut scenes in strife I would like to download your fixed AVI files, let me if I can get a copy . thanks PRS\66 ps.I just downloaded your ENJAY ZDOOM wad looking foward to playin it.

OK, I couldn't split the file with WinRAR, the splitting options were greyed out (a shareware limit?) but it was easy enough with WinZip 8.1 anyway.

So, here's the files you need:

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Enjay001/StrifeV1.z01 1.4 MB

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Enjay001/StrifeV1.z02 1.4 MB

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Enjay001/StrifeV1.z03 1.4 MB

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Enjay001/StrifeV1.z04 1.4 MB

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Enjay001/StrifeV1.zip 538 KB

Download all the files into the same directory and double click StrifeV1.zip to open it in Winzip, then just unzip as normal. That worked for me using Winzip 8.1, can't guarantee any other archive programs will work. Also, I just tested the original files, I didn't try downloading and testing. It took me over an hour to upload them, I wasn't about to spend the same getting my own files back to test them.

If it works (or otherwise) let me know.

Like I said before, the file is a self executing Bink video file. If this format is not to your liking, you can grab the Rad Video tools (linked above) and easily convert it to something else (eg AVI).

Obligatory Enjay connection speed rant:

Bah! slow connection. I want broadband. I have both the money and the inclination to pay for it, but can I get it? Can I hell! Just because I live 7 miles from my nearest telephone exchange. The 'phone company said if there was enough interest they would put a new line in to my village. How much interest is enough? My village is pretty small, but almost 1/3 of the people here put their names to a request letter. Did that make a difference? Did it hell? Bah! mutter mutter mutter...

Oh, and about NJZdoom, don't get too excited. The levels are pretty old, and basic by modern standards (some date back to '94).

Edit: I just downloaded and tested the files and they worked fine. BTW, the video isn't too exciting either, its only about 30 seconds long, and most of that is logos, but I like it.

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that,I just got system shock in the mail today bought it off of ebay.Buy the way were are you from. I am from Michigan , anyways I will be talkin to ya later.

PRS\66 Oh yeah almost forgot,Have you tried strife on the Vavoom eng yet, that was kinda the reason I bought it.

I'm from the UK. A small village about 20 miles outside the city of Aberdeen, NE Scotland.

If you are getting Strife with a view to playing it using Vavoom, I'm afraid you are in for a disappointment. It does start, and you can wander around and do things, but it really isn't functional. You get messages about missing sounds and scripts and it basically isn't playable as a game. Big shame. :-(

The conventional wisdom round these parts is that the original source code for Strife was lost even before the companies responsible for it broke up, so any new "port" would actually have to be a ground up writing of the game using best guess technology. As I'm sure you can imagine, that would be a huge job, and unlikely to get it fully correct. The fact that Vavoom does as much as it does is fairly impressive in the light of that I suppose.