Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ledillman

How to: E2M6 glitch ????

So I was watching a speedrun of Ultimate Doom and this guy just glitched in a wall where the blue key is located and enters the void (like when you're in IDCLIP mode outside the map building) and runs to the exit switch and finish the level

How to do it properly? besides vanilla doom, do I need an specific sourceport like PRBoom or Chocolate? dos it work with modern sourceports? (ZDoom, Zandronum, etc)

This is known as the void glide. There aren't really an abundance of opportunities to use it, due to the conditions of the map design it can be done with.

Oxyde made this video explaining it:

here PrBoom+ and ZDaemon are used. I'm having trouble doing it in ZDoom though.

With my bare knowledge in how the glitch works, I'm pretty sure it can't be done in ZDoom.

IMX said:

And other kind of "glitches" that weren't actual glitches and messed up how some weapons work.

Glitch is glitch. The blockmap logic is totally broken, and it doesn't really matter that the BFG is so heavily affected by it.
Besides, this is compatibility optioned for the odd map where it's important.

Graf Zahl said:

... and it doesn't really matter that the BFG is so heavily affected by it ...

Messing with the weapon balance in Doom is pretty dangerous if you are concerned about well, actually playing Doom. Two-shot BFG cyber deaths are not supposed to be a statistical guarantee. And you're not supposed to be able to berserk punch every monster in the game to death with impunity either.

The logic behind performing such bug fixes is obvious, but lack of compensation for the inevitable side effects unbalances certain aspects of the game.

That's why I added the compatibility option for it. This is something every player got to decide for themselves but in the end it boils down to one less shot with the BFG as best case scenario when attacking a Spider Mastermind. I'd take the more accurate and more predictable weapon behavior any time.

Graf Zahl said:

That's why I added the compatibility option for it. This is something every player got to decide for themselves but in the end it boils down to one less shot with the BFG as best case scenario when attacking a Spider Mastermind. I'd take the more accurate and more predictable weapon behavior any time.

Here's the whole problem I have with it. I understand all the rationale for it. But, the issue is that, in ZDoom, it's either "use buggy behavior", or "use normal behavior". (not the exact wording) It should instead be labelled as "original" vs. "enhanced". Cause the weapons in ZDoom are, by default, not "normal", they are enhanced. If 3 punches in ZDoom do more damage than those same 3 punches against the same monster, at the same angle, in the same position, in vanilla Doom, then ZDoom has "enhanced" weapons, not "fixed" weapons. (Yes, I know it's not the weapon that's enhanced, but that's the impression from the user's point of view.)

Again, I understand why it was done, and it does make each hitscan act in a more balanced manner, regardless of the tragectory, or starting angle, or position of the target within the blockmap, etc. And, yes, it's frustrating when you point-blank shoot a monster and he doesn't blink.

However, that inaccuracy in vanilla Doom gave the game an extra quality that is lost in ZDoom (with default settings). It removes a perceived randomness. So it's not like the original behavior does not have value.

But ZDoom misrepresents the game, by not being explicit about how it handles hitscans, by default. Zdoom tries to pass New Coke as Coke.

This makes any map easier in ZDoom - easier than intended. ...unless, you use "buggy behavior".

I don't expect this difference to be understood by everyone that reads this, but it is true.

What exactly does ZDoom make easier? I'm pretty sure it changed the behavior for melee weapons so that they're easier to connect with, but what does it do for normal hitscan stuff? Are you talking about flawed collision detection ?

If we're talking semantics, the option should be called "Original Doom behaviour" or "Vanilla emulation" and the bugfixed one "ZDoom behaviour"

Even if someone doesn't know the specifics he will choose Doom/Vanilla or ZDoom, depending on the experience he is aiming for or expecting.

Normal, Enhanced and crap like that are subjective.

Linguica said:

What exactly does ZDoom make easier? I'm pretty sure it changed the behavior for melee weapons so that they're easier to connect with, but what does it do for normal hitscan stuff? Are you talking about flawed collision detection ?

Yes, it's precisely that issue at play here. It was causing issues with many of ZDoom's custom mods.

The compatibility option was added later because at the time of the fix the BFG issue was not known.

@VGA:

Let's just say that vanilla is one horrendously broken game engine. That's fine if all you want to play is old stuff, but it's a nightmare if you want to create new content that's not supposed to glitch all over the place.

VGA said:

If we're talking semantics, the option should be called "Original Doom behaviour" or "Vanilla emulation" and the bugfixed one "ZDoom behaviour"

Even if someone doesn't know the specifics he will choose Doom/Vanilla or ZDoom, depending on the experience he is aiming for or expecting.

Normal, Enhanced and crap like that are subjective.

It didn't used to be subjective, which was my point. I'm good with "Original Doom Behavior" vs. "Fixed" or "ZDoom". Because the "normal" feel of the weapons is what I grew up with. So, maybe it's just an opinion. But, someone coming from a vanilla, or PrBoom(+) background with find ZDoom much easier, and perhaps not notice why, unless the option captions drive the point home.

It really is a dilemma, and I imagine a lot of thought went into considering the effect of fixing the bug.

Graf Zahl said:

Let's just say that vanilla is one horrendously broken game engine. That's fine if all you want to play is old stuff, but it's a nightmare if you want to create new content that's not supposed to glitch all over the place.

That takes it too far. It isn't "horrendously broken", geez. It accomplished it's goal, and I don't ever remember it crashing, or "glitching", or any of that when I played Doom, with the IWADs. It did what it claimed to do, and was released in a timely fashion. That is how you're supposed to develop software: Get it released, in a relatively bug-free manner. Sure, it has some bugs, so does everything. But, it's fun as hell, and quite reliable on original maps.

And to facilitate new stuff, it has the WAD format, and the sources were released. But, nowhere has it ever been horrendously broken. How can you have such a negative attitude towards a game that you obviously love? It's undeserved.

I challenge you to recreate Doom in the same amount of time id Software did, using Doom.wad, and using your knowledge of how Doom works, without looking at any Doom source code. That's right, you have to create it from scratch. Will your game be even playable? Will you get upset if someone calls it "horrendously broken"?

It's just downright mean, and undeserved. Show some respect, it's not that hard. All I'm saying is: Tone down the criticism. It doesn't help to prove your point, it just sounds arrogant. Sure, we all have 20/20 hindsight.

It's like calling someone that has never written a computer program an idiot. It's undeserved.

kb1 said:

I challenge you to recreate Doom in the same amount of time id Software did, using Doom.wad, and using your knowledge of how Doom works, without looking at any Doom source code. That's right, you have to create it from scratch. Will your game be even playable? Will you get upset if someone calls it "horrendously broken"?

I don't think you quite get the difference between broken and whatever it is you seem to think broken means in this case. Yes, the code works, but the logic is broken.

Graf Zahl said:

They did what they could at the time with the limited amount of computing power. Modern source ports have the luxury of having far more powerful hardware to work with so they can make the modifications and checks to rid these bugs. They placed a priority on getting it to run smoothly on as many machines as possible and that was obviously going to lead to some compromises.