Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Why did I never get the expirience the 90s?

It's a shame to be a young adult in a generation of shitty COD clones and 12 year old squeakers eating potato chips and screaming into a shitty microphone while they play Skrillex in the background. The games today are just awful in my opinion, they have no replayability. Kinda stupid of me to make a self-rant like this on Doomworld, but shit mate. I feel sad that Doom, my favorite game is 3 years older than I am, Never got the chance of buying the Doom floppies from the game store. Never got to conversate about it, All I want to talk about is Doom, but my peers only talk about COD or Minecraft. It sucks being 19 at this day of age. Ok, I think I vented enough on a video game forum. I dont need any sympathy, thanks.

I wonder if caveteens wished they lived in their caveparents' generation, too, or if there's some sort of minimal culture amount that's required for this behavior.

I know it definitely existed far before the industrial revolution and probably even further before that, but seems kind of comical to picture someone with such a high opinion of themselves and their tastes before there were really even anything akin to genres.

Well, I was born a couple weeks after the 90's ended and do you know what? I play games from the 90's, I listen to music from the 90's, my favorite show started in the 90's, and I even dress in the 90's style all black grunge nonsense.

But I'm glad I'm growing up in the 2010's because of better technology, better internet, and I couldn't stand living in a ridiculous conservative America. FTS. Although I sometimes still pretend the year is 1995 :P

Even though i remember things up to when i was 5, i barely remember the 90's because its absolutely not a major part of my life or youth... and i truly cant fake it like so many of my age do. I do not feel as if i ever missed anything, except that life was still a lot more free and less constrained... also no cell phones everywhere.

But many of the media i absorbed contains or contained a lot of 90's and ex 90's bands and shows.

hmm call of duty and medal of honor styled games seem to be normal games to me. Highly fun to play online to. I'm from 1988 so i grew up with modern game standards while being old enough to experience it and be aware of it...

People can do these things ;

1 - Fake being 90's kids like many of my age do while they barely remember being 9 or 10 in 1999. we are The internet and gaming generation / y / the ones after x.

2 - try to stop progress by attempting to abduct kids from the year 2015 and force them to live in 1993 mentally by means of the media, games, and mental brainwashing.

3 - stop acting like a fool and accept that these new games aren't that bad, they are great, and graphically beyond anything you could imagine in 1993, and have a story.

4 - You are genuine and do not like modern games be it with or without generalization then you also need to accept other people their personal preference instead of btch bitch bitch like a caveman or a Taliban... like what i like or die.

chungy said:

You missed little of value.

Doom is from the 90s.

Coolkids said:

It's a shame to be a young adult in a generation of shitty COD clones and 12 year old squeakers eating potato chips and screaming into a shitty microphone while they play Skrillex in the background.

So you'd rather be stuck with a pile of shitty Wolf3D/Doom clones and an unreliable dial-up connection? You're seeing the best of the 90s - or at least you're seeing the parts you choose to focus on. Gamers were complaining about the shittiness of modern games back then too.

I'll give the 90s two things over now: people were less worried there was a terrorist behind every bush, and houses came in more colours than just beige, brown, and gray. Sadly, cars were horrendously ugly in the 90s, so maybe that balances out.

Talking about COD or Minecraft? My peers only talked about Sega or Nintendo. A few years ago people only talked about Guitar Hero. No one talked about Rock Band.

I probably never got the full 90s experience but I did get to experience some of the cool stuff about it (I wish I knew all the cool 90s slang and buzzwords). Reminds me that I need to get out some floppy discs out of some old bins to play around with (like stacking and other OCD stuff) when bored a bit :P

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

Jaxxoon R said:

"Do not presume..."

A lot of people act that way, Many do not. Take the humor and reality from that list as is... because you are the hypocrite presuming something while possibly not even reading.

Even though I was a baby of the late 80s and a kid of the 90s I never really properly experienced the 90s besides for gaming with Gameboys and the N64, I wish I understood the time better than I did and enjoyed it more.

The '90s weren't that great, it was mostly about people being too lazy and cynical to address the major problems of the era and passing them on to future generations. It was an era steeped in bullshit, when the US was WORLD'S ONLY HYPERPOWER and the economy would never stop booming ("Dow: 1,000,000 or Bust!" was an actual headline from the era). Modern kids have it bad because while Generation X could just shrug and go back to pursuing the latest floppy hair fashions ("grunge" my ass, that shit was a costume just like giant perms and shoulder pads), the mess the Baby Boomers and "Greatest" Generation made was still there, and now it can no longer be ignored.

The 90s had some cool stuff, but it gradually started to suck as the decade progressed. Music and youth culture became extremely lame by the late 90s. The only things that were cool by that time were video games, and WWF/WCW/ECW.

I actually think the times that we're living in now, are at least more interesting than they were back then.

I recall reading an article that now because of the internet, there's no predominate sub-culture. Rather, we're living in an era of sub-culture tribalization.

"May you live in interesting times" is a curse for a reason.

But I don't know about music and youth culture being actually lamer than today. They had Nickelback but now there's Justin Bieber.

Woolie Wool said:

"May you live in interesting times" is a curse for a reason.

But I don't know about music and youth culture being actually lamer than today. They had Nickelback but now there's Justin Bieber.

I remember the 90s being filled with teeny bopper boy band fans, and wannabe thugs, though I'm sure that today is more of the same shit. Though, now because of youtube, there can at least be a prevalence of enclaves of different sub-cultures.

The only thing I really miss about the 90s are number bands. Sum 41, blink 182, etc. Pop and alt rock is pretty much dead forever. I still have doom and i can make my maps look as 90s as I want. Sure you don't get to talk about it much with people in your real life, but id imagine the fans of doom in the 90s are more or less like the fans of brutal doom today. Check the last couple pages of these forums for reference.

Kontra Kommando said:

80s and 90s definitely had the ugliest cars.

The Neon was "cute" enough. I owned a '96 til it just about fell apart (literally in some cases - the engine started shaking itself out of the car at one point cuz some bolt or another broke). Sold it for $500 in early 2011 :V

Woolie Wool said:

Chrysler engines are built out of failure and broken dreams.

Pretty much.

I actually find the hideousness of certain 80s cars to be rather attractive. But early to mid 90s cars, and most late 90s cars, were shit in appearance. Quality was a gas, and the only good examples I can remember are some Ford trucks from 98 and 99 we had that, mechanically, lasted forever. But the bodies fell apart and made them useless. Luckily, people still buy the engines.

I'm not posting this maliciously but it highlights people who take this sort of thing to more extreme lengths and makes more valid points than I could think of with every neuron in my body. Don't take it seriously for the love of god. It's more about people making comments about music but it still applies.

Also notice how he says "new breed of kids" but then he says people were doing it in the 60s

I personally am fine with being born a little late to actually experience the 90s, since I can look back on it and discover things I never knew existed and be like hey that's so cool. It's almost like I'm discovering something new despite it's actually old.

I'm definitely too young to remember any of this stuff but I still find it fascinating

Man, I remember seeing this intro back in 1990; the part where is says, "Sometime in the 1990's", and thinking to myself, "Hey that's now." I can't believe 25 years has passed already!

EDIT:

I remember during the 90s it was sort of a cliche for people to say, "Thank god the 80s are over". In retrospect, the 80s were cooler in many ways.

90's was ok... the only things that were really an improvement over the 80's (IMO) were the games.. movies and music were getting worse.

We all know when the world actually ended anyway, cuz Crystalis told us so: