Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enderkevin13

Monster Ambush Via Alert Monster Action?

I Was Hoping Someone Could Help Me With Creating A Monster Ambush.
I Created The Linedefs Around The Key And Gave The Monsters Their Target ID's, But They Don't React To The Linedef Action.

I Tried Merging The Sectors, But They Respond To Sound And Come Out Before The Key Is Taken.

Learn how NoiseAlert and AMBUSH ("deaf") flag actually work.

Or use Thing_Hate action, it might make things easier for you.

Also note that it UDMF format, you can assign the action to the key itself, and it will be executed when the key is picked up. No need to put it to linedefs around the key.

I thought you would read the wiki pages I linked, they provide sufficient answers to those questions. From your description, I don't even understand what and how exactly you're trying to do, so I can't help you better, sorry. Maybe if you provided screenshots + named the exact linedef action you're using, etc, would clear it up.

Well, Thing Hate Didn't Work, Neither Did The Other Two. Can You Provide An Example Of A Ambush? I Might Be Able To Learn Easier From That.

Here's a video tutorial by a guy, username Chubzdoomer. He made a few good tutorials and I recommend watching more of them.

I don't know if this is what you're going for, but like Scifista said, you're going to have to give more details if you want better advice.

I Found Out Another Way Of Doing So.

Make A Room With A Lowering Floor, The Enemies, And Teleporters.
Make A Little Hard To See Gap At The Top Of A Wall For The Enemies To Hear You.
Make The Key Lower The Floor (In Monster Room) When Picked Up.
Add Enemies In The Main Room (Gotta Shoot Something, Right?).

That's the recipe for a standard trap, yes, though I usually use a raise ceiling by 1 pixel action to make the gap for monsters to hear through. Either way works.

When you do this type of trap, you will always need some kind of action to alert the monsters. This could be a shot, yes, but could also be done through the actions scifista mentioned. If you want to go with a shot, do like you said: add monsters to main room, but add them when they need to be added. For example, monsters in the main room would do nothing if the player has the opportunity to (and does) kill them all before they activate the lowered floor trap. I'm sure that you already know that, but I think it's important to try and prevent misunderstandings.

As an alternative, if the player does not exit the way they came in, you could leave the trap (what I like to call "silent" [appears to do nothing at the time]). After finding the next monster (assuming there is nothing to block the sound) the player will encounter an ambush from behind.