Does this intrigue you?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does this intrigue you?

• I can't wait to download this
    • Sounds like it might be fun
    • Not sure
    • Prefer cat videos on YouTube

The Obsession Begins..... for Vanilla Doom II

The Obsessive Compulsive Demon is enslaving the human race in destructive habits and you need to progress through tortuous routine while monsters attack you at almost every turn. Ultimately you are in the OCD's Lair where you must destroy the source, allowing humanity to be set free at last.

This is an EXTREMELY linear series of small levels which use the voodoo doll bug, coming very soon to a Doom II archive near you.

It's a storyline I've not heard before...sounds interesting, I can guess it is going to be rather puzzely?

I've recently fantasized (only in my head) about starting a community project about making KDITD-style techbases with super obsessively compulsive pedantic focus on perfect texture alignment, loyalty to Romero's design rules and using purely KDITD textures (and similar things), and I've planned to call it "Repulsive Pedantism: Knee Deep in the OCD". I came to this thread enthused and ended up disappointed, as MathsDevil's project description sounds shallow in comparison.

Hello Xegethra.
Not too puzzley I believe, the theme is repetitiveness but with a few surprises thrown in. It is not supposed to be very difficult but there are a fair few nasty traps sprinkled around.
Successful attempts take around 5-10 minutes for each level, maybe 15 minutes for level 30. There are 9 proper levels (including a short first level) - Levels 22-30.

Scifista brings up texture alignment, my aim in these levels is that they look decently interesting and not with enough detail to trouble my frame rate. Most of the time you will be too busy getting killed to notice what I have done with the walls.

By the way, the poll options are put a little unfortunately. I "am sure" that it "sounds like it will be terrible", but I don't "prefer cat videos on youtube", so the only suitable option for me is "I can't wait to download this", which may be true, but not because I'm looking forward to playing it, just check out what it really is.

Do you have any screenshots for the meantime?

I thought this was going to be a mod that fixes my problem with single fire weapons and the firing them 4 times before I'm happy. I'm disappointed.

Also will the maps be incredibly meticulously designed trying to get every single last itch that annoys you like odd angles and wall lengths?

Rofl savagecorona. If that's how it is I'd be laughing my ass off the entire time I play it.

So I guess what it comes down to is this: what, exactly, kind of OCD are we talking about here? Just texture alignment 99-100% should be required of every map anyway. But if you throw things in there like, say, you're running down a hall that just looks all f*cked up. Then, suddenly, the OCD Demon, in the form of an invisible line you run across, changes the hall/room around you to make it more... Perfect. Stuff like that would just be so damned funny to me.

I think this sounds interesting, don't let a couple people speaking on ignorance bring you down, mathsdevil.

Without giving it away (ahem) the OCD refers to something the player has to do while playing what might, otherwise, seem like 'normal' Doom II levels. Hehehe
So it really doesn't 'look' freaky in an obvious way.
Level 30 then takes the idea a little further! I'm a little busy this week but the upload will be coming soon.
Screenshots within the next few days, hopefully.

To be honest, that worries me a bit bro. I'm already OCD with my Doom enough as it is, this might detonate my cranium, lol. But in all seriousness, I hope you do it well, because that's a make-or-break kinda thing that you are playing with. Though I now understand what you meant by the voodoo doll bug, hahaha. I'll still give it a shot, though.

It's a shame that this appears to be just a standard ugly mappack, the title had greater potential. It might still be fun to play, though, depending on the execution of gameplay.

Sweet man, from what you've said so far this will certainly be memorable. I'll get back to you in a week perhaps, after I get the chance to play this.

It's not difficult to understand how it works, and you could expect some interesting gimmicks. But every level it's the same, and it gets really boring.

For some reason I was expecting the Icon of Sin to be perfectly symmetrical. I think that would've nailed the OCD point home. :P

This wad was one of the most interesting and frustrating map sets I've played. The concept was awesome, though. Execution was really sweet at first, and the IoS was well done, but I was hoping to see more than one obsession. I'll go with my standard 4 categories for this review.

Gameplay
As a slower-styled player, this map set was so far out of my comfort zone that I wanted to quit and crush myself irl multiple times... but I compulsively pressed on because of how interesting the concept was. Speedrunners would love this map set.
The two dummy maps were a nice touch, though even after reading the text file (I always do), I was confused about MAP21, until I warped to it. That was because it's mentioned in the text file, but MAP01 basically said to warp to MAP22. I know that's not gameplay-specific, though it did influence the start, but it would have been just a bit nicer to have it stated more clearly in the text file. I know it said it was just there for a pistol start, but it left me with the impression that there was still to be a map there, since the claim was 10 maps. No points deducted for that, though; it's a small issue.
Back to gameplay, the first real map was done really well. I didn't find the secret til the end, so I was highly confused for maybe 3 deaths as to what the Hell, exactly, was going on, even though I knew the voodoo doll bug was being used. I just wasn't sure what mechanics to expect, just how you would lower the crusher on the doll (which was well-done, btw). The progression of guns was a nice touch, I liked the first map just for the fact that I had to use the pistol. The next couple maps got progressively crazier, while keeping the same concept. They were nicely done. The really dark, plus-sign map was nuts and a Tyson enthusiasts dream, til the imps come in group's more than 7 and The shotgunners come out. The invisible bulls killed me a few times, as did some of the larger groups towards the end. This is where I started saving, lol. The map with the HoM had a cool ending, with the 4 revs (and I'm assuming the revs you missed as well) sniping you in a large, open area with only one real form of cover. That was intense; I was extremely suprised I did not die on that map. The arena map was prolly one of my favorites and I did it, also, without dying at all. The map in the brown hallway was f*ckin nuts, especially once the revenants got involved, because of the tight quarters. The part with the 4 revs in one hallway, with only 2 switches-worth of time, was so difficult I was glad I saved it (Honestly, I'm decent enough at dodging revs missles in any scenario, even the ones that came before, with the narrow hall and imps shooting from the sides, but the timer on that one part was so short that I died prolly 5 times just from running out of time). Then came the chasm, or maybe it came before. Now that I think about, it came before, but they kinda all bled together and now that I'm finally typing this I forgot 2 of them. The Chasm would be absolutely maddening to attempt without saving, and I like platforming in Doom. The level was fun as Hell, as were all of them, but that last stretch gave WAY too little time. I'm suprised I made it, but I still got damaged once the time I did make it and died prolly 20+ times. Luckily I saved it right at that last switch, so some of my deaths were just me being my own worst enemy (which is a great touch for a game, imo [glover 64 status, hahaha]) and being too impatient. But with the extremely stingy timer, that approach was kinda necessary. I could not even imagine beating that level without saving (I would be like the old story of the archer who never missed, missing in the finals at the tournament because he thought too much on it); but if you do, you're a f*ckin master and one calm sumbich. The map with the cyberdemon was a cool map. I wound up having to cheat, though, because though I was pumping rockets into the cyberdemon while killing bulls, by the end of the map I hadn't pumped enough in to beat the last two timers to get to the exit and that was way too long to repeat from the beginning (like most of them). The second-to-last map was absolutely **********, but at least I figured out early to kill the archviles asap. Having said that, with nothing, really, but a rocket launcher to kill them, with limited space to shoot them, AND with *skulls* flying around was absolutely f*cked up. I loved it. Great job on that. Having said that, as soon as I finally managed to kill all 9 in one run, I immediately saved it. After that everything was cool... Then the end came. I actually managed to kill the mastermind on my second attempt, but the archvile then messed me up. I hated that part and cheated my way through it the third time. The health there is ultimately useless as the mastermind grazes you 10 times and it's all gone. The whole time your cursing yourself for wasting health with the archvile up there hitting you from two angles AND the damaging floor. SO frustrating. But I bet you did it on purpose, so job well done, haha. The last map had me so confused I spent almost an hour running around the map, avoiding monsters as much as possible and letting them fight it out, until I finally realized I was getting nowhere. I was shooting the IoS, but from the top of the stairs because being so tall and shallow I didn't realize that they had a backside;. I thought it was a drop-off and surely you wouldn't have us jump under such a timer... I finally got so confused I let monsters get me cornered and I missed the timer. :/ After that whole disaster, I tried a few more times, this time focusing on getting to the last/first switches as quickly as possible, and spending the time of both of those switches pumping rockets into the IoS's. Still didn't realize stairs had a back. Died many more times. Finally got fed up, idclip'ed through the wall, and did it without a timer. SOO much more enjoyable. After having some time to further examine the height situation with the IoS and stairs, I finally figured it out (I also figured out when the 500+ monsters we're planning to show up). Died, lol. A few more times. I kept clipping through the wall though, because at that point I was like f*ck that timer. But I finally beat it with only the idclip cheat to circumvent the timer, which I suppose prolly wouldn't have been much worse to have played with, just a lot more running and a lot more time.
Some of the levels towards the middle got dull, as the concept got old. It was at that point I was hoping to see another obsession. But after finishing a couple more levels and realizing that that's all it was, I got back into it again. Also, the levels got more interesting.
I won't deduct points for absolutely needing to save, even though you recommended against it in the text file. I don't mind needing to save and unless I feel I'm not supposed to, I do it instinctively.

Gameplay Rating: 8/10

Monster Placement:
Monsters were placed well, a bit too hard considering the timer at maybe 3 times and more than a few times felt a bit lacking (like The Chasm), but aside from that, everything else felt right.

Monster Placement Rating: 8/10

Item Placement:
I really liked the item placement. I didn't attempt to pistol start any maps (except the first one) because on this, Hell no, and I managed to finish every map with at least 75% health (except the 3 maps I cheated on [unless you count saving and loading as cheating, in which case you are truely evil and then I cheated on 6]). But it seemed totally plausible to pistol start every map, though chasm in particular would've been much tougher with less bullets.

Item Placement Rating: 10/10

Aesthetics:
The maps all looked cool to me. Some were a little plain, though, but that's not that big of a deal with me. I did like how some maps opened up more as you played them and that plus sign map was cool looking (how it expanded, but the darkness in the far reaches of it was just about whack when the invisible bulls came). The Chasm looked just awesome (everything about it) and the switches and timers you used were spot on, especially when you gave the player 3 timers to keep better track of time-left.

Aesthetics Rating: 9/10

Over-All Rating: 9/10 (when you consider what it is)

All in all, it was fun to play, in an extremely masochistic way. Especially if the player doesn't speedrun much.
speedrunners will probably love these maps.
Having said that, great job! It was certainly one of the most interesting concepts I've ever had the guilty pleasure of enjoying to play.

*Edit* spell check >.<

Thanks for going into such detail, I was worried no-one would persevere enough to get to what I think are the coolest features, especially on Levels 29 and 30! Uploading this was tricky because I knew some of the levels were considerably older than others (the open area revenant part was designed in early 2013). I knew the concept had become a little repetitive in my desire to keep it consistent, which is an issue when doing a series of levels along a theme.
I'm aware that some of the levels were 'a little plain', which goes back to some of the levels being older than others, I have learnt a few things recently about texture alignment, metal poles on corners for a 3-D effect etc..
It really means a lot that you have appreciated the better features of the wad because I was concerned that they might be missed by those giving up on the levels.

Yeah man, like I said, it was my (guilty) pleasure :)

Tbh, I would play this wad again. Maybe I will on HMP and see if I can beat it without saving or cheating at all. I would like to see a sequel/expansion of this, but with more concepts than just the one of forced speedrunning.

One of the my favorite concepts was bringing enemies back that you missed because of the time limit, like the spot with the 4 revs in an open area. I couldn't imagine doing that after skipping all/most revs found earlier in the level, but I think itd be fun. I also really like when levels open up as you progress; it's a nice change from, "here's this room, here's the next one..." The later maps did have some interesting concepts, like the archvile/rocket-launcher/skulls combo in 29, as well as the endless switch hitting in 30 and suprise party monsters after each IoS died.

The plain-ness wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Do some more with this man, it's a unique concept :)

*Edit*

No need to bump this, but I second what doomkid said below this post. 5/5 stars on idgames... 1/5 was bullsh*t.

I think the concept alone is awesome and the mapping is pretty good, though sometimes a bit unorthodox or mismatched. I would rate this about a 4, but I gave it 5 on /idgames as it had 0.5 stars, which is bullshit. Creativity and originality are memorable and deserve a high score. :)