• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zulk RS

A scroll script problem.

I recently tried to make a train map. For scrolling textures, I used the script

Scroll_floor (3,-512,0,2)

The floor seemed static. But when I stepped on it, the train started moving (floor started scrolling).

Any ideas on fixing this?

Use a much lesser scrolling speed that 512 (lesser than 60 for a start, increase it if you need it). The floor may be scrolling so fast that it appears not scrolling. I suspect that because you use a high number which is also a multiple of 64 (=dimension of a floor flat).

I reduced scroll speed to 55.

It did nothing except slow down the scroll when the floor did start scrolling.

Could it relate to the trigger that begins the action?

If you're in ACS whats the total script?

# include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN

{
sector_setDamage(3,900,0);
scroll_floor(3,-512,0,2);
}

Hmmm... I'm no programmer, that looks right to me though. But if it only kicks in at certain times I wonder if you should just set a trigger to start it instead of having it start at map initialization. It's possible that could fix the problem, unless someone more experienced than me sees something I don't.

I set the floor action to scroll west (fast).

It did solve the problem of the not floor moving but it created a new problem.
Instead of appearing to stopping scrolling when I landed on it, (floor is supposed to look like it stopped but the train is supposed to move forward) it continued scrolling very slowly.

Do not use sector scrolling effects. Their behaviour is a little unintuitive because of backwards compatibility, because they originate in Heretic and the Heretic engine had them a little bugged. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_specials#Hexen_sector_specials

I made a test map and used the exact same script you posted here. The floor scrolled alright. I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. Is it possible that it works alright, but it doesn't appear so to you because of the perspective where you stand, whether you're affected by the carrying or not, or something like that? If you believe it's not the case, would you post the map?

I've uploaded the wad to the linked thread. If anyone can solve the problem please let me know. Your help is appreciated.

I've played your map and the floor scrolled alright. Which port are you using to play? And which version? Or what's the current problem you have, if it's not that you don't see the floor scrolling?

EDIT: So I've opened it in map editor. The floor scrolls differently than you would expect because it still has the sector scrolling effect in addition to the script-activated scrolling. I told you not to use the sector effect.