Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Submission Thread Idea

We need a sticky thread that is strictly for submissions. A mod creates the top post with all the submission rules, like when we used FTP.

Only links to final submissions are allowed to be posted, with quick description of material, exact LMP name or series to be replaced, along with crediting info. Also a link to the discussion thread regarding that specific submission could be posted.

When material is committed, the thread/forum mod replies with a link to the commit as confirmation. In a week/month or so the mod deletes the submission and reply posts(to keep thread clean).

There are no community questions or comments on those submissions. People can make a new thread to discuss the resources.

Sounds good, though I think that when something is accepted or rejected there should be a post replying to say so, and for rejections an explanation why it was rejected. Only replied to posts should be deleted (a month seems like a good time, if it is too short then people may miss whether their submission was accepted or rejected).

As mapper who created a map for Freedoom, posted it in a thread and never knew its fate... I agree that a "formal" submission system should be implemented.

I agree with this. Submissions often take a long time to get onto the repository, and I think this is partly because the maintainers have a hard time finding what to add. Having submissions in random threads here and on Github is really disorganised, and its often not clear when something's a completed submission or a work in progress.

With the current system, it's hard to make your intent to submit clear without making a pull request, but not every contributor has the skills or equipment to use Git. So having a thread that collects all completed submissions in one place will make the maintainers lives a lot easier. :)

Yeah, there have been a lot of submissions lately and the forum is getting a little cluttered with all the new threads.
Some great stuff like zrrion's Plasmagun and jewellds lamps have been pushed to page 2 already without any final veridict of whether or not they're going into the project or the attic.

i think the lamps are already in, zrrion's plasma gun is still missing two frames, but i really hope it gets finished cause its awesome

How about a lite version of this proposal?

A semi-official-freedoom-pwad-thread where anyone can post their work and anyone else can put it together into a pwad.

That would make it easier to test the latest version. You just need the last official release and the pwad. And the system doesn't fall apart when the github-masters are busy.

Once a set of updates proves itself worthy and the github-masters have time they can easily merge it into the official tree.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Catoptromancy said:

We pretty much already do that all over the forum.

The "all over the forum" part is what I have a problem with. I have recently tried to assemble all the recent updates (and probably failed) and had to go through pages of submissions and discussions.

Catoptromancy said:

Once material is finalized, it would greatly help the devs to sort out the exact submission by using a submission thread.

I probably shouldn't have proposed it as an alternative to this idea and instead justed started a thread.