Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

New black textures: Noir Pack!

NOIR PACK
Been working on and off on this for a little while now, was started as a little project turned into something a little bigger I guess!

Just a small preview of what's in the pack!

Lots of black coloured textures to use, not recoloured but original stuff, multiple use flats included- and it's all based on a similar theme.
Feel free to pick and choose if you desire, there is a lot in there to play about with and I hope you enjoy what I've made!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

All textured made by me, and the WAD was compiled by TheGreenHerring...thank you! :D

When I looked at them, I thought they would fit a Doom 3 themed wad - and I mean it seriously. Good job. :)

I've tested them in a map, and despite what I said earlier, now I would say that they could have been made brighter anyway. Light levels below 208 (which is a high light level) make them practically pitch black.

^I did it. DOWNLOAD

Lighter is better IMO, because it allows more light variations on the same surface. This room doesn't prove it as well as it could This room maybe still doesn't prove it as well as it could, but you get the idea. Dark colors cannot be made bright in the game, but light colors can be made dark with low enough sector light level.

Comparison: (disclaimer - different light levels applied)

Reminiscent of a slightly cleaner UAC ultra look. ?I like it!

I like the effect of using dark textures with bright lighting so I'll definitely be using some of this.

Marcaek said:

I like the effect of using dark textures with bright lighting so I'll definitely be using some of this.

Heh, indeed -- the lighting in that second shot of scifista's looks amazing... even though I guess that goes againt the point he was trying to illustrate I suppose. :P

FuzzballFox said:

NOIR PACK

Are you coincidentally French? Just asking.

BTW, great textures. Looking forward to being able to apply it into anything worthly.

scifista42: I see what you mean, perhaps I'll sort something out but for now I would like to keep as is- plus some of the textures have their other uses as well! C:

Cell: I am not- just wanted to use a different "fancy" word as all the cool kids do nowadays~

Cell said:

Are you coincidentally French? Just asking.

BTW, great textures. Looking forward to being able to apply it into anything worthly.

In English, "noir" refers to anything gratuitously dark, whether literal or metaphorical. So I think it suits this pack well aside from being also literally correct in French. ;)

I initially made the room while using the darker textures, and I tried to light it up to look good. It worked, but I've found out that I'm uncomfortably limited by the maximum brightness possible to achieve with these textures. Any more rooms I would potentially make would end up looking the same lighting-wise. That's why I chose to recolor the textures and then take a picture of the same room, just with altered light levels. I admit, the first screenshot looks rougher and less stylish than the second screenshot even to me - it's just that I didn't enjoy mapping with the dark textures and trying to come up with light variations. I could try to merge both darker and lighter variants into one pack and work with that, of course it would require renaming the graphics.

DeathMetalAccountant said:

In English, "noir" refers to anything gratuitously dark, whether literal or metaphorical. So I think it suits this pack well aside from being also literally correct in French. ;)

Heh, now I know that as well. :) My question was simply because I'm half French.

I just retextured a map using this... Looks very cool and is easy to use in conjunction with other tex packs!

Thanks for the pack! Definitely looks good. Bright sectors for the darkest textures can make for some great sprite-highlight effects - e.g. zombiesoldiers marching into the central light of an otherwise darkened room...