Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Things Doom 4 is doing right

This is probably because I'm surrounding myself with negative people, but there are tons of comments saying doom is not colorful enough, the executions are lame, the gun combat is uninteresting, and various other hair splitting things people dont like about the new doom game.

Everyone seems to have a very unique perspective of how Doom is supposed to be, which puts id software in a really difficult position. Is there anything we can unanimously agree that the new doom game is doing right? What do you think are the major crowd pleasers in the game that should benefit everyone who plays it in the long run?

The movement. Speed, climbing, dodging, jumping. I have many gripes with the new Doom (check out my Hell post) but the movement seems solid.

As far as model design goes, the Revenant and the Super Shotgun both get my irrelevant seal of approval as well.

The combat just looks like Doom. Anybody who disagrees are looking at too many of their own ideas and not enough of what's actually there. It had been a while since playing any Doom, and I loaded up a WAD (That PSX e1m8 map that was posted recently) and while I was fighting I couldn't help but say to myself, "Wow, this feels a lot like the E3 gameplay I just saw."

On top of that, it looks like id really went for the longevity of the game. If the maps are as expansive and open as they're looking like they are, there's tons of replayability there. Snapmap will simply add an eternity after that. I have a strong feeling that id will show more details on Snapmap that will silence any doubts about its restrictions.

At least classic Doom was a game with many close combat fights. I don't give a flying fuck about fatalities from Brutal Doom, coz game still feels like Doom at this aspect. High level of blood and gore is same - very doomish thing.

Vertical gameplay is right decision, no doubt. One and only good thing in gameplay of Crysis games is freedom and freedom makes everything better. If nanosuit was terrible and unbalanced, double jump and melee combat is enough for real FUN. I can imagine how cool it will be.

Design is best of both worlds. Hellknights from Doom 3 was awesome, but classic monsters is classic monsters - Pinky, Caco, Baron Of Hell, Mancubus, Revenant - all of them is a faces of Doom.

They seem to be nailing most things. Some of the negative people seem to be missing the forest for the trees, focusing on the things they don't like.

Think about this for a second, if someone told you 2 years ago that the new Doom game would have all this you would hardly be able to contain your excitement:

- Fast movement with high mobility (double jump, no fall damage)
- Non linear level design
- No health regeneration
- No Aim-Down-Sight
- No reloading
- No weapon limit
- Little to no hitscan enemies
- Infighting
- Focused on gameplay, not story
- Full fledged arena multiplayer ala Quake 3
- built-in map-maker for single and multiplayer

The fact that we are getting a AAA game that is THIS old-school in 2015 is mind boggling. We better cherish this, you guys, because if this thing flops this is the last time we will ever see a game remotely like this.

I think that the fact that people are critical about this game means that a lot of people care and are passionate and want this game to be good. I haven't been this excited and hyped about a game for a long time. And after reading the recent interview with Marty Stratton, it seems that the game will have non linearity and everything, so I don't have anything to complain about. I think this game is going to be really awesome.

Nicely said everyone. I too am a pretty big fan the mobility, you rarely just stand still and shoot, the guy moves quick and you can pick and choose your targets with ease. I also like the idea that you don't get clipped by debris and handrails and crates, and the little climbing animations are brief.

Its kinda easy to pick and choose the things you want to complain about but id say the game as a whole is doing really well.

Lots of things. Doom was about both cutting edge technology, break neck speed, visceral violence and intense horror. It seems that in the true 3D era where compromises between fidelity and frame rate make this impossible to recreate Doom 3 took the horror and innovative graphics angle whilst the new Doom is all about speed and violence. For me this game is interesting me much more than Doom 3 did whilst in production.

There's nothing objectively wrong about the new Doom in my opinion. If the game is just about mayhem and violence that's fine with me. SJW's can whine about it.

I was looking for a more macabre game like Quake 1: gory-grisly enemies + dark environment + dark sounds. But everything I saw resemples Quake 2-4 both games I don't like. The enemies are a mix between gears of war locusts + strogg. The only good one was the revenant plus the caco. The action music that plays when you start a fight is also annoying, not to mention the enemies that dop health + ammo - even the ones that are not supposed to - made me upset.

Kaskaum said:

I was looking for a more macabre game like Quake 1: gory-grisly enemies + dark environment + dark sounds. But everything I saw resemples Quake 2-4 both games I don't like. The enemies are a mix between gears of war locusts + strogg. The only good one was the revenant plus the caco. The action music that plays when you start a fight is also annoying, not to mention the enemies that dop health + ammo - even the ones that are not supposed to - made me upset.

Wrong thread!

Obzen said:

- No health regeneration
- No Aim-Down-Sight
- No reloading
- No weapon limit
- Little to no hitscan enemies
- Infighting
- Full fledged arena multiplayer ala Quake 3
- built-in map-maker for single and multiplayer

The fact that we are getting a AAA game that is THIS old-school in 2015 is mind boggling. We better cherish this, you guys, because if this thing flops this is the last time we will ever see a game remotely like this.

This! When I heard about reboot I thought well they probably wasn't satisfyed with story telling...not enought appeal to modern gamers and ets. But when people talked about their impressions after quakeqon...I was absolutely surprised.
And why are we keep using term old-school? I don't like it....why exactly it is old-school....why can't it be any-school, a timeless phenomenon? Why can't we just get rid of old-school cliche? This is a modern game unlike ANYTHING in the market...it is something fresh...it is new-school if you like.
Things that done wright:
-Everything...well exept the concern about balance...ammo/health drop from enemie and scattered throughout levels and all that gameplay details that are still pretty much unknown....impossible to judge.
Yes I like everything that id is doing with it even if something doesn't appeal to me!

This (if they are true):

Obzen said:

- No reloading
- No weapon limit
- Infighting

These topics totally have my support!

------------

larrypotter said:

I think that the fact that people are critical about this game means that a lot of people care and are passionate and want this game to be good. I haven't been this excited and hyped about a game for a long time.

Exactly! I'm only sad about the colors because I really love the project idea.

The single, greatest, most important, chore saving, boredom defying feature is that -you can finally pick ammo up just by walking over it-

Ever since fucking Fallout, or Bioshock, one of those pricks, every god damned first-person-shooter has been about walking up to corpses and pressing grab, or looting fucking sock drawers and cupboards for ammunition.

Finally, thank fuck, thank John Carmack's left nut; I don't care who it was but fucking thank you: Doom 4, see ammo, shiny, walk over it, move on.

I can say is, so far the only thing Doom did right was the speed, weapon designs, suit design.

- Non-linear level design (if they get it right and create multiple paths between areas, not just fairly open rooms)
- High player speed
- Acrobatic player moves
- Nicely designed and well balanced weapons losely based on the original weapons
- Varied monsters based both on Doom 3 and classic Doom designs
- New monsters
- The mix of futuristic Mars base and arcane hell landscapes
- Abandoning restrictive gameplay elements from newer shooters (weapon carry limit, forcing the player to use iron sight to shot accurate, forcing the player to always take cover to regain health, etc.)
- Supporting the creation of user content (SnapMap)
- no chatty "cinematic" approach to tell the story with lots of cutscene dialogue

The more I hear about it, the more I love it. I have very high hopes for this game. Very.

DooM_RO said:

The more I hear about it, the more I love it. I have very high hopes for this game. Very.

Me too, i like everything about it. All the negative things people are complaining about from seeing a very limited demo have been shown not true, except for things like "i don't like the enemy design", "i don't like the colors" and "the music is crap" which in fact make sense to me and i like them, things that are entirely subjective and irrelevant.

The stuff that bugs me about neo-Doom is bugging me less with each passing day. At this point, my only real concerns are

A) Really solid multiplayer experience
B) Implementation of auto-map
C) Interesting puzzles

Other than that it looks pretty much like it's going to be the best Doom ever.

Cybersexdemon said:

Weapon mods. I love when games let me uprgade my weapon and they also give player a good reason to explore the maps.

There will be weapon mods in Doom4? Haven't heard of it yet.

Wepon mods can be a cool addition if they are done like in Quake4, where they enhance small things like clip size or add additional functions. If they however are realised like in Bioshock they can easily throw off the general weapon balance.

Tetzlaff said:

Wepon mods can be a cool addition if they are done like in Quake4, where they enhance small things like clip size or add additional functions. If they however are realised like in Bioshock they can easily throw off the general weapon balance.

Yep. Though, if it's anything like those shadow warrior or hard reset games by polish studio, then it's just pretty much bs. Quake 4 had the upgrade be fine since it was linear. You got to point x in the game and you were given this new upgrade to your gun, no manual roleplaying game bs in quake 4, unlike in shadow warrior reboot.

Tetzlaff said:

They were quite noticeable. The shotgun had a charged rapid fire burst mode that shoots 3 shells in quick succession. I saw the player using it to shoot 3 zombies very quickly in a snapmap mode.

quakke said:

Yep. Though, if it's anything like those shadow warrior or hard reset games by polish studio, then it's just pretty much bs. Quake 4 had the upgrade be fine since it was linear. You got to point x in the game and you were given this new upgrade to your gun, no manual roleplaying game bs in quake 4, unlike in shadow warrior reboot.

I didn't have a problem with Shadow Warrior weapon mods. You just needed the cash to do them all which required a lot of exploring. Isnt' that what we want in the game?

Besides the mods were awesome for the most part. Shotgun got
-Increased Reload speed
-4 shots (instead of 2)
-Alt modes now fires ALL shots at once.

You got the touch!

Zemini said:

I didn't have a problem with Shadow Warrior weapon mods. You just needed the cash to do them all which required a lot of exploring. Isnt' that what we want in the game?

Besides the mods were awesome for the most part. Shotgun got
-Increased Reload speed
-4 shots (instead of 2)
-Alt modes now fires ALL shots at once.

You got the touch!

That is more an roleplaying element than classic fps style and besides, it means you start with all your weapons being just absolute crap at start then if there is upgrade systems. So no thank you.

Well at least in Shadow Warrior you can replay the mission with the same profile you ended the campaign with.

Tetzlaff said:

- no chatty "cinematic" approach to tell the story with lots of cutscene dialogue

This bears repeating. From what could be seen, there seems to be little to no story-driven elements of it, like reading PDAs, listening to people talk, etc. You just start the game and get right into it. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

quakke said:

That is more an roleplaying element than classic fps style and besides, it means you start with all your weapons being just absolute crap at start then if there is upgrade systems. So no thank you.

there is no "roleplaying elements" from being able to upgrade your guns. Unreal had the Dispersion Pistol which could be upgraded via pickups, is that roleplaying elements too? besides, you get these upgrades faster from exploring around, not unlike Doom, in which you could find bigger guns and powerups if you explored and found secrets. i really don't see why upgrading your guns is such an issue for you.

40oz said:

You just start the game and get right into it.

You're mostly right, but still, you only get to play after watching a cinematic of putting your helmet on, and then a cinematic at every weapon pickup, and we don't know what they'll actually prepare for the start of MAP01...