Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

Nereid (formerly "...")

Grain of Salt said:

WIP with 25 maps so far (doom 2, complevel 2)

out of? that's quite a bit already.

Gameplay is hard.

:DD

I'm hoping that posting about this will motivate me to finish it somehow.

well, good luck then!

The new green torches look strange maybe. Seems like they still have the "fully lit" flag but the sprites aren't that bright at all, so... Magic?

Du Mhan Yhu said:

So.. I'm confused, whats going on here exactly?

I'm announcing a project. Hooray!

Ribbiks said:

out of?

32, or maybe a couple more.

Memfis said:

The new green torches look strange maybe. Seems like they still have the "fully lit" flag but the sprites aren't that bright at all, so... Magic?

Oh, I took the lit flag off those sprites because I hate the way it lights up the wooden part of the torch, and I haven't got around to putting it back yet. I just assumed no one would be able to tell from the shot. I might try making torches two objects, so the fire can be always lit and the wooden part can be darker depending on how it should look to blend into the scene better.

Salt-Man Z said:

Wherefore a Chaos Device?

It's a thing I was trying where picking up a certain item ends the map. I'm probably not gonna keep that. It's in the map because the map isn't finished, and I didn't feel like tidying things up just to take screenshots. It does add a nice touch of colour though.

@everyone else: thanks!

Grain of Salt said:
(RE: Chaos Device)
It's a thing I was trying where picking up a certain item ends the map. I'm probably not gonna keep that. It's in the map because the map isn't finished, and I didn't feel like tidying things up just to take screenshots. It does add a nice touch of colour though.

Hunh. Interesting idea. Has any other WAD done that sort of thing before?

And I didn't say it before, but those screenshots do look fantastic.

Grain of Salt said:

its a thing I was trying where picking up a certain item ends the map. I'm probably not gonna keep that. It's in the map because the map isn't finished, and I didn't feel like tidying things up just to take screenshots. It does add a nice touch of colour though!

How does something like that work? Is it like a still monster whose melee state activates the icon of sin boss death codepointer?

40oz said:

How does something like that work? Is it like a still monster whose melee state activates the icon of sin boss death codepointer?

If so (and I assume that it is so), it would be also used to perform 20+ revenant's melee attacks or archvile's blasts just before it ends the level, which should kill the player (unless he's wearing invulnerability) and enforce a pistol start of the next level.

40oz said:

Wow that would be a really cool way of doing it!

But no, I just put a line action around the item and caused barrels to push a voodoo doll into telefragging a romero head and another doll (so yes, it was pistol start-enforcing, but you could also just damage the head with barrels, without any dolls, if you wanted a normal exit). IIRC I did try to use the romero head death pointer in a couple of different ways which would have been actually item-triggered, but I couldn't get them to work.

And yes, using line actions is a terrible way of doing it, for several reasons. That's one reason I'm not really sold on using it.

(Actually, I wonder if you can get the tag 666/BossDeath pointer to activate on picking up items rather than killing monsters...? Probably not, but that would be so much simpler...)

Salt-Man Z said:

Hunh. Interesting idea. Has any other WAD done that sort of thing before?

It's presumably what happens in Hocusdoom when you pick up the last crystal, since that's what happens in Hocus Pocus.

You kept it a secret until only 7 maps were remaining to be made?
Man, I sure have to learn from you how not to speak all my projects into the world enthusiastically before proper time to do so.

Memfis said:

How is it going?

Grrrrr

Maybe they could make a forum script that that would make thread titles green when they are bumped by the author and red when they are bumped by some bastard. Something like that.

^Great idea, would be nice. I can't think of any possible disadvantages of it, at the moment at least.

Unless if the author decides to troll with it counts I can't see anything bad about it either.

Updating on a whim. You might notice I have a new palette now. I also completely replaced the status bar (as in, I replaced every part of it) and a few other things. The plan is actually to replace all iwad resources, eventually. Thank you for reading.

Cool, hit me up if you want some testing, or something. I'm always down for rock-hard doomin'

palette strangely grimy, will forgo further judgement until I see it with the maps though :P

Grain of Salt said:

The plan is actually to replace all iwad resources, eventually. Thank you for reading.

Damn, how close are you to this already? Will it be like a new IWAD entirely?

EDIT: Also when will we get to see the sexy new status bar?

@Ribbiks: The brown ranges of the current palette are definitely something to work on!

@Death Egg: Yes, if all goes to plan it will be like an entirely new iwad, but that is admittedly probably a long way off. I don't mind if it takes a long time though, I'm not in a hurry. Also, here is the current status bar:

There's new face graphics too, but I'm not ready to show those off just yet.

Very nice, I love the touch of the ammo count saying which weapon numbers they apply to rather than the ammo type name. Willing to accept resource submissions to help out or will it all be 100% new graphics?

I think offers of help would definitely be appreciated but are ultimately unnecessary. I kinda prefer the homespun feel of something I made entirely myself.

Death Egg said:

Very nice, I love the touch of the ammo count saying which weapon numbers they apply to rather than the ammo type name.

It kinda makes me wish there were another rocket-based weapon.