Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaero_Four

Ideas for new enemies.

It's pretty much a given that we'll get most if not all of our old friends back, but it's always nice to see some new faces in the mix. What kind of enemies or even bosses would you like to see in this game?

I remember this old concept art of a monster from a D3 mod that was scrapped, which basically looked like two ghoulish/skeletal figures fused together in a very warped way. Hard to describe but it was really interesting, and the designs of these new zombies kinda reminded me of that.

Cyber Succubus
Vagary from Doom 3
Maledict from Doom 3: ROE
and Pain Elemental from Doom 64

Monsters that do no damage are embarassing in every shooter game. Better not.

On topic: I've been thinking about this a while ago and came up with this list of fictional enemies. If you read the spoiler below my post, I stated that it was my vision of Doom 4 back then.

-A monster that is visually based on the Vagary from Doom 3, but with the behaviour of the Vore from Quake (homing projectiles, medium health, slow to medium speed)
-Some kind of hellhound
-A monster with a medium-range chain attack, Hellraiser style
-The Wraith from Doom 3, but more agile and with a faster warp ability
-A fast and acrobatic melee monster with blade hands
-Female demons: succubi, harpies

scifista42 said:

Monsters that do no damage are embarassing in every shooter game. Better not.

What exactly is wrong with monsters that do no direct damage but cast buffs?

As for returning monsters I would love to see the Bruiser from Resurrection of Evil. It would fit in very well with the whole techno terror theme.

Piper Maru said:

As for returning monsters I would love to see the Bruiser from Resurrection of Evil. It would fit in very well with the whole techno terror theme.

I would like to see him in Doom 4 as well. I always thought he was a very interesting enemy... And the fact it had a TV monitor for a mouth left me with a lot of questions...

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I would like to see him in Doom 4 as well. I always thought he was a very interesting enemy... And the fact it had a TV monitor for a mouth left me with a lot of questions...

I still want to see it's original introduction where the marine approaches a computer terminal only for the Bruiser to reveal itself. That would be a serious OH SHIT moment.

I think non-transformed human marines would be fitting should the main character choose to follow the story arch that leads her into a business alliance with the demons.

printz said:

What exactly is wrong with monsters that do no direct damage but cast buffs?

What does "cast buffs" mean? I'm unable to figure it out, I'm not English, and each of the words has different meanings depending on context. Is it like "spawn minions", or a different phrase?

Enemies without any way to cause direct damage, while they're still damagable and dangerous in other ways, feel wrong to me. They apparently want to harm me, but rely on workarounds. These workarounds may fail to work, be outsmarted or regularly defeated, and then the enemy is a defenseless target, not a worthy opponent - at least for a certain amount of time, but that's enough. Both Pain Elemental and Icon of Sin suffer from this problem, in my view. I actually think the same about monsters without melee attack who get cornered and then get stuck and refuse to attack. The thing is, I see these situations as illogical (why can't this hostile enemy attack me), and also unsatisfying from gameplay perspective (I want to fight him, not fight his minions and then kill him defenseless).

I'd be happy if we got some Doom 3 enemies, but I know people would riot if they saw anything new or fresh.

scifista42 said:

What does "cast buffs" mean? I'm unable to figure it out, I'm not English, and each of the words has different meanings depending on context. Is it like "spawn minions", or a different phrase?

cast buffs = empower other monsters (boosting their speed or damage or giving them a shield, for example)

Can't wait to cut some demonic titties with my chainsaw! Hehe. >:E

THE SAW IS A LAW! \m/

:D

DooM_RO said:

How about a monster that does no damage but slows your speed in half?

Oh God no. Please no. Nothing should slow you down, especially in a game like Doom, especially if it's freaking Doom.

The only thing that should prevent the player from going fast is the player himself. There's enough complaints about the player not being able to run as fast as the original game.

geo said:

I'd be happy if we got some Doom 3 enemies, but I know people would riot if they saw anything new or fresh.

Those are called hardcore elitists. Small handful of fuck wads stuck in 1993. Their opinions usually mean jack and are never really taken into consideration.

mother demon and pain elemental from Doom 64
bruiser from doom 3
lets hope that we'll actually get an archnotron/spider mastermind this time around.

i'd like a caco alternative that was like a langoliers, where it would eat up the ground creating canyons that you could fall to your death to. That would add some challenge to moving around while dodge enemy fire.

Bring back Betruger and his incessant chuckling.

heheheeeeehhheeheheheehhh bwaahahahahahahaahaha weelcome to my domain aaahhahahaha you get the picture.

I just want to see variation in enemy types. Like bigger, smaller, weaker, stronger, etc., versions of each enemy. That would be cool.

Puppeteer - A rare ghost like creature. Looking at him would result in blurred vision and marine slowly going towards him. He would also create illusions which deal more dmg the longer Puppeteer is alive.

Plaguelord - Infects nearby zombies which causes them to run at the player with increased movement speed and explode. Upon explosion corpses would relase a cloud which rapidly drains health. He would also have a projectile attack which deals damage over time.

Adolf Hitler - final boss.

The final boss should be a giant cross between a Brony and a Weaboo, or the Doom II Dildo Display from Masters of Doom come to life

Cybersexdemon said:

Puppeteer - A rare ghost like creature. Looking at him would result in blurred vision and marine slowly going towards him. He would also create illusions which deal more dmg the longer Puppeteer is alive.

Plaguelord - Infects nearby zombies which causes them to run at the player with increased movement speed and explode. Upon explosion corpses would relase a cloud which rapidly drains health. He would also have a projectile attack which deals damage over time.

Adolf Hitler - final boss.

How about this? The Nazis managed to preserve the brain of Adolf Hitler (like in TNO). So the demons stole it from some UAC warehouse or something and use some kind of wacky nazi serum to enlarge it. They then put the brain on some spider-like robot thingy and it attacks while spewing threats in reversed german.

Cybersexdemon said:

This is actaully a cool idea and could work well in a Doom game.

i like something that can when die spawns two of him and so on

I don't like the idea of monsters that slow you or otherwise mess with your movement or vision. Maybe nudge you if they manage to hit you, but that's it.

Amph said:

i like something that can when die spawns two of him and so on

That could be a cool enemy type. Kind of a multistage death, but I think it would be annoying if it split more than once. Maybe a big slow demon that when killed split up into two smaller, faster demons.

Some sort of satanrhino that charges at the player blindly and knocks stuff around. He can be used strategically to cause massive infighting.