Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Why does Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has really crappy mods?

I mean, really! There are some really crappy San Andreas mods out there, Ive even seen one that is equivalent to a Terry WAD. All people post for mods are 2008 Lamborghinis with racing stickers all over it. and should I add everything has MILLIONS of polys, and slows down even the most powerful PC to a crawl. Weapon mods suck as well as most script mods. The best mods are probably .ASI mods.

Generally, most mods suck. More popular games get more mods, thus more visibly shitty ones. It's more of a testament to the game's popularity than what can be done with it. SA also has some of the best mods the franchise has to offer.

Your criticism seems to revolve around mods that either have a subject you don't personally prefer or have a computer that is to shitty to run the mod.

I actually find it to have some extremely well made mods and especially...

Multi theft auto ;
- Made to turn san andreas into a multiplayer game.
- Extends the games modding and scripting support.
- more than 1000 servers.

And trough multi theft auto you could even play a zombie survival mode which turned San Andreas into a day-z styled survival experience... with scavenging, barricade / obstruction placement, backpaks, etc.

The only drawback would be its heavy bandwith usage on lower end connections.

The target audience plays a big part in it, in my opinion. Just ignore the junk and focus on the ones who fix glitches, inconsistencies and stuff.

And yeah, I agree, the things I've seen people do with CLEO...

Another question is why did a lot of these crappy mods get accepted onto ID games?

FireFish said:

I actually find it to have some extremely well made mods and especially...

Multi theft auto ;
- Made to turn san andreas into a multiplayer game.
- Extends the games modding and scripting support.
- more than 1000 servers.

I wish it had a mode with peds enabled or Co-Op even if it was restricted to local servers only.

Avoozl said:

Another question is why did a lot of these crappy mods get accepted onto ID games?

Grounds for rejection, for good or for bad, never included perceived quality (or lack thereof), and no archive maintainer, ever, acted proactively. A mod may be removed a posteriori following numerous complaints, accusations of plagiarism or copyrighted content (the only serious no-no) etc., but don't imagine that e.g. Linguica puts everything under the microscope as soon as it's submitted. Why should he, anyway? Plenty of no-life nitpickers to go by ;-)

Maes said:

Grounds for rejection, for good or for bad, never included perceived quality (or lack thereof), and no archive maintainer, ever, acted proactively. A mod may be removed a posteriori following numerous complaints, accusations of plagiarism or copyrighted content (the only serious no-no) etc., but don't imagine that e.g. Linguica puts everything under the microscope as soon as it's submitted. Why should he, anyway? Plenty of no-life nitpickers to go by ;-)

Even Terry wads have their place... mostly for Youtube channels.

Wads are art. My garbage is someone else's treasure. Even if there was a requirement to have at least 2 rooms to qualify onto idgames, someone would churn out a lavish 1 room MOD that would make you question the 2 room rule.

SavageCorona said:

Because it's not as good as Vice City.

There I said it. You can burn me now.

Oh I agree. Everyone else does too. Its easier to laugh at the 80s and remember all those lush areas and movies rather than the 90s movies whites never watched. All we know is rap videos.

As for why MODs are so bad with San Andreas. Blame the community. Its probably tougher to mod for and well vehicle stickers are easy to make. Just like a lot of games for Unity and Game Maker are garbage, because there's no barrier of entry.

No to mention that CLEO crashes GTA:SA when starting, thus making it frustating and forcing the user to uninstall the game and resintall it again.
Which is probably that GTA:SA is buggy on modern pcs.

Bloodshedder said:

Why does Doom has so many crappy WADs?

I would argue that's not really the same. Making content for Doom is very easy, hence more bad user made content for it.

As nice as SA was, I feel that was the point where they started to lose focus on making a chaotic sandbox, shifting more to role-playing. GTAIV was the unfortunate culmination of those design choices, thankfully GTAV reeled things back a bit and felt more fun-focused.

GTA 3 is still my favorite.

I stay with my previous post about multi-theft auto

geo said:

Everyone else does too.

Yeah, and that's why there are so many people claiming San Andreas as the best or most fun GTA they ever played when it comes to the old 3D GTA games...

VC took a damn lot from the movie Carlito's way and its fictional story, they even replicated the exact look of the lawyer from the movie for the lawyer in VC... And provided it on what pc's could handle at the time.

SA seemed to take from ghetto reports and things you would have seen on cops... and added the over the top humor and exaggerations... and provided it all on a complex engine with a lot more to do and see.

Preference vs preference...
In the end you always played the role of a criminal trying to make it big...

FireFish said:

I stay with my previous post about multi-theft auto

Yeah, and that's why there are so many people claiming San Andreas as the best or most fun GTA they ever played when it comes to the old 3D GTA games...

VC took a damn lot from the movie Carlito's way and its fictional story, they even replicated the exact look of the lawyer from the movie for the lawyer in VC... And provided it on what pc's could handle at the time.

SA seemed to take from ghetto reports and things you would have seen on cops... and added the over the top humor and exaggerations... and provided it all on a complex engine with a lot more to do and see.

Preference vs preference...
In the end you always played the role of a criminal trying to make it big...

I must be out of that loop. All the bells and whistles don't make up for the cheese and charm. GTA takes a lot of liberties from a lot of movies. San Andreas took Easy E, Boys in the Hood, Menace 2 Society

Its still a lot better than GTA 3 and 4.

Clonehunter said:

Your criticism seems to revolve around mods that either have a subject you don't personally prefer or have a computer that is to shitty to run the mod.

Not really, I am aiming this at most mods. and my GT 610 handles whatever GTA SA mod I throw at it. I will say that there are some amazing mods for the game, MTA:SA, ENB (If you can say its a mod), SA:Render, and some of the ASI mods Ryosuke put out back in 2008 - 2012, there is also a mod which allows you to mod the game without messing around with any IMG editor, handling editor, map editor, etc. (San Andreas Mod Loader). I suggest you take a look at some CLEO mods on GTAGarage and see for yourself how crappy these mods are. ("Mod title: "u can tp to mount chiliead" "Mod description: "wit dis mod u can tp to mount chiliead and it spawns you weapon and gives u 100000000000 dollers and free cars and all u need to tipe "TPMETOMOUNTCHILIEADANDGIVEMECARSANDSTUFF" to entr the cod and tp to chiliead.")

This thread has been nullified by this image

There you go San Andreas does not have shit mods.

Also GTA4 is no exception to the 90% of them being cars with stickers mods. The rest are graphics or weapons mods or "trainers" that get you banned from the online

GTA in general (minus possibly the fifth one, i don't know yet) hasn't had the greatest modding scene besides swapping models around and making videos of people laughing at them.