Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chalibluefin

Glorified Doom 2 Wad

I'm new to the site and to start of I made a glorified Rapper version of Doom 2 with new music. Planning on adding custom monsters to it later.

Click Here

-removed-

This is literally doom2.wad with the music replaced by a bunch of rap MP3s. It's totally not allowed.

Why is this the ENTIRETY of doom2.wad with mp3s instead of midis for music? This could have been just the custom sound files, there is no reason to give us an iwad. I'm questioning the legality of that.

Everything is just a placeholder for the wad im going to make, I just wanted to know whether or not the music was any good along with the pictures and crap. This is the first and still in dev version of Fish Outta Water

Im still learning how to make a proper wad

Well thank you to those who are actually being constrcuctive with their advise. Other than that I can assure you this WAD won't be the piece of shit it is now considering it's just doom 2 with new music and transitions.

I'm gonna do everything I can to make this WAD proper and original

Telling you it's illegal and against the rules to share official IWADs is not constructive criticism?

I'm struggling to figure out how, exactly, hip-hop matches or belongs anywhere within 200 yards of Doom in the first place. But those are my tastes.

To me, hip hop just doesn't give a good flow to Doom gameplay and it doesn't add to the atmosphere, neither.

I've always liked Doom music for the metal-ish of it. A big part of Doom to me is the music, it sets the mood. Also, it's fun sometimes to try and play to the beat (almost like that def jam game).

So, even if our tastes in music are a bit different, I say do what it do bro. Some rap songs might give a level a cool feel and I bet that trying to play to the beat would be just as fun with rap as it is for me with metal. Then again, I have a God complex when I play Doom, so I like playing with limitations.

Keep up the work man, as long as you like it and you don't get yourself or this website sued, f*** everyone else.

My main complaint about rap/hip-hop music is the severe lack in variation. A lot of the time you hear the same or similar 4/4 beat for most songs.

You know, this is a bit off topic, but most songs can be ultimately reduced to 4/4. 2/4 is of course obvious, but even songs that are 3/4 or 6/8 could also be looked at as 4/4 with triplets. Of course, after accents are added it is tougher to make a case against the time signature, but most songs nowadays do not use "dynamics."
the relativity of time signatures is due to perceived-time being subjective; what may seem 4/4 to you could be seen as almost anything under the sun to the musicians playing it. Some people find it easier to subdivide when you split the beat and essentially count twice as high, twice as fast (or any derivative of 3 if they are using triplets [playing in 3's]).
The only real songs I've encountered that couldn't be ultimately reduced were either 5/4 (like Tool), or changed time signatures so much you could never tell where the beat was. Which, as a musician, I regard as lazy, unless used in the absolute right way. When I come up with a cool riff on guitar/piano/drums and it doesn't match the 4/4 time signature, I always make it fit.

I suppose a good comparison for the nonmusicians out there would be this:
Imagine playing a wad where none of the textures had been lined up, or purposefully misalligned.
That's about akin to a song where every measure changes time signature. Now I'm not saying that a song or a level like that can't be something great, but it comes across as lazy and chaotic unless used very carefully and successfully done in the right way, which can ultimately only be known after release.

Gotta love hindsight.

I like the idea of someone putting their own twists to doom, but to call it "Glorified" is a bit much to me. Whatever I guess. I vaguely remember John Romero saying he put in the metal for a specific purpose though. Or maybe I heard that somewhere else.

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm struggling to figure out how it's any worse than Salsa or the infamous Between Levels.

Theres no salsa....

Bowshock said:

I'm struggling to figure out how, exactly, hip-hop matches or belongs anywhere within 200 yards of Doom in the first place. But those are my tastes.

Cuz not every doom wad is the same

Glaice said:

My main complaint about rap/hip-hop music is the severe lack in variation. A lot of the time you hear the same or similar 4/4 beat for most songs.

Not all the songs sound alike... And I chose a song based on how I feel every level's theme or atmosphere feels.

Jaxxoon R said:

The background music in MAP02 of Doom 2 has a rather lengthy Salsa section.

What are you talking about, Map02 has no salsa. What are you referring to exactly?

^ You should think twice before making statements like that, and presenting them as a general truth instead of your personal opinion (by adding "IMO" or something like that). This forum is dedicated to Doom's fanbase, so that many people might disagree with you, I personally do.

Jaxxoon is trolling. And scifista is responsive poster, he has triggers, and if you trigger him, he will immediately respond to you, regardless of the speed of light. You see, on Doomworld, users are allowed to troll other new users if it is in the greater interest of upholding the superiority of the Doom community in general over the status of all other games. Around here, it is seen as tongue-in-cheek. You have to expect that a harsh joke might land on your doorstep. Consider it a compliment. That's what the more successful contributors of the Doom community view it as. For example, scifista has no regard for the fact he is defending a troll comment (Jaxxoon's troll post backed up by Linguica's informative link) as long as it is the interest of defending vanilla Doom's sountrack superiority. You see in the Doom community, good trolls are treated with purring respect like they are watchdogs of the purity of the community. It is kind of frustrating, if you approach things from an obstinate angle completely. In fact, more power to you if you force the trolls to actually sort out their logic. Half the time they are drunk/absent-minded posting in order to put down a newbie they view is worthy of a put-down, most of the time it is a subjective judgment based on a crowd lynching mentality.

Maybe you should sticky a topic titled "Don't upload edited iWADs" and mention it's illegal. This shit has happened at least 2 or 3 times including this one recently and it kind of annoys me people think that it's OK to do that.