Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Any absurdly detailed maps?

Anyone know of any recent WADS (last 5 years) that are extremely high detail? To the point where the engine is struggling on modern hardware?

I'm not looking for TC type stuff either with weird guns and sound effects, but it can be made for a source port with slopes and stuff, that's fine.

pyroscourge has got you covered:

Winter's Fury
S.U.P.E.R. Natural

some other gigantic maps can be found in:

- Sunder
- Vela Pax
- Deus Vult (1 and 2)
- Pianasphere 2 (or whatever it was called)

some of the slaughter folks are prone to making huge stuff as well, ToD has a couple monster-sized ones in particular. the slaughterfest wads tend to have some gigantic maps towards the end.

Here are a couple other threads on the topic you might find helpful:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60473-largest-single-map/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/54015-the-largest-map-created-for-doom/

Funnily enough the last two posters have some of the most ridiculously detailed work you'll see around here. :P

I tried Winter's Fury, but it's not for me. I appreciate the work that went into it, but I don't like mods to the weapons and original monsters.

Like, something I played recently (I'm way behind) that was pretty highly detailed was vrack2 and vrack3. I was pretty amazed.

BTW - they don't have to be large necessarily, but I mean highly detailed in architecture and lighting.

Thanks,

gothic99...ho ho. that's some old school detail stuff. I remember when that was released. Totally off the charts.

I'm still impressed by KDIZD. Hard to believe that it's almost a decade old.

Doesn't qualify for OP's specs, as he said 5 years or less.

Sorry, anything in the last 10 years, I just thought maybe the collective map editing brain had done some more magical things in the last 5 years. Vrack was released forever ago and that was top notch.

I tried playing KDIZD a couple years ago and got that script error...I just tried it again with a more recent Zdoom and glzdoom and still get the same error. I looked around and supposedly a patched version was released but the links are dead.

Script error, "kdizd_11.pk3:decorate/decorations.txt" line 996

I simply edited my copy of 1.1 to fix the offending line, I didn't know 1.2 existed. Cool beans.

Anything from Realm667 is ridiculously detailed. The Ultimate Torment and Torture being my particular favourite out of the (few) ones I've played.

Also Mandrill Ass Project is a pretty funny and exquisitely detailed mod based inside a computer though how accurate it is I have no idea.

This Heretic mod, Thief - The Trail of the Arch Heretic is another pretty damn impressive mod which features some fantastic visuals looking straight out of Thief 2 itself, possibly better even.

There's quite a few more here that utilize the GZDoom engine extensively for greatly detailed and brilliant looking levels. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:GZDoom_mods

Lvangundy said:

gothic99...ho ho. that's some old school detail stuff. I remember when that was released. Totally off the charts.

ho ho indeed. that remains the first one that comes to my mind when talking about absurdly detailed maps. how could i forget the swearing and raging when we played it. adding to the abysmal framerate, the gun was bobbing all the time because the floor was made of thousands of tiny sectors, and every wall had nooks to catch one while going backwards. but we kept playing because, according to our noob logic, maps looking that detailed had to be good.

nxGangrel said:

Wha-?
Does that even run on the Doom engine?

Only in the barest sense. It runs on GZDoom, but it's like 100% made using GZDoom-specific features.