Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sesalpinogamer

Invisible wall?

Hi guys!A quick question here,i am making my 3 level DEMO wad for a school project (The proper one will have 10)but i stumbled onto a problem.How do i make invisible walls?
So,i am making a huge,very detailed outdoors map,with a lot of buildings,secrets,very long,with tons of optional stuff,this level is focused for doom players like me,the adventurer type,the demo will also contain levels for the "I don't have patience to play this" type,and to the "Kill all!!!" type.But so,i made a cave with a door that needs a blue skullkey,has it is a important place in the map,that unifies to big portions of the map,i put the key on a pedestal,it have a Plus shaped design,is made of wood and in the 4 sides of the symbol,there are tall pillars,whole point here is that i want to make a small ceiling to close the opening in the symbol,but it just streches out to the sky,how do i fix that?It streched out,untextured,but when i gave textures,it looked weird,like that players are gonna notice they are in a closed room with a skybox in!I want to make it small,only to close the spot,but the way i did (making another plus symbol,and making so the floor level is the pillars level and the ceiling is highter up to give that cool effect) it just streches,and it is VERY annoying.
Help would be apreciated

Could you post a screenshot, please? One picture is better than thousand words. :)

Could you upload the wad on a different file hosting site that doesn't require people to register or log in to download the file, please?

You have come up to a limitation of the DOOM2 format.
However, it is easily solved when in G/ZDOOM (Doom2 in Hexen) format or UDMF(ormat)

You can lower the rocks near your building so the sky wont cut them, and you can adjust the heights of the building and the surrounding scenery. This will also make it less bland.

Well, let's see how to do this.

You already know that the ceiling of the blue key pavilion is a 3D construct,

which is controlled by the information, tag of the affected sectors and floor/ceiling height, given to a control sector

If the heights, textures, etc. do not seem correct, then open Visual Mode and adjust to what you have in mind.

You've talked about 4 images, but your link only has 1, and everything looks OK on that one, aside from oddly distorted map geometry.

Also, "BTW" means "by the way", so it's not really appropriate to say when you're talking about something substantial to your message.

Set floor and ceiling heights of the control sector to the heights where you want the 3D floor to appear. Give tag 3 to all sectors where you want it to appear. Set proper floor and ceiling textures of the control sector (e.g. not sky), they will determine the 3D floor's top + bottom side texturing.

sesalpinogamer said:

screenshot

Concerning screenshots -

There is no need for an external app.
GZDB has the ability to take screenshots of the active window in two ways:

F10

takes a screenshot of the whole window
CTRL+F10
    takes a screenshot of the editing area only
into a folder 'Screenshots'.

By Invisible wall, do you mean "Impassable" or "Transparent" Wall ?
For invisible wall you can simply set lindef flag to "Impassable" or "Block Players", And for Transparent you might use a 3D Floor with alpha lower than 220 for it .

DMGUYDZ64, really, you could use actually reading the threads you post in, and not just thread titles.

Done,a site (http://www.doom2.net/doomrealm/tut-3dfloors.html) teached me,here is the result,and by that i mean current map progress (VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT STAGE):

https://vid.me/gkEb (To lazy to login on youtube,also,i am doing this on a slow laptop)

Please leave your opnions of my map,give sugestions,it isn't really worth much points but i want to score the always 10 in my computer class this year :D(It is an extra 0,5 point,and the teacher said it didn't needed to be good,but i want it to).So,here is what i am planning to do:
-Remove the strange wall in front of the hole in the garden opening.
-Where the pinky is,there is a open area,with a passage to a even bigger open area,in the smaller area,i am planning to do a serie of hallways,with water,plants (need to import),loot,secrets and monsters simular do a Freedoom level.
-After the passageway to the bigger garden,it breaks open,there will be a pretty cool waterfall secret,there will be a fountain,and a river that leads to special areas,cutting the map,this place will have strong enemies and is the last area on the wad,being unlocked by the yellow key,found either on the secret right in the start or on the mines,it will also have a abandoned mansion,witch ends the level.
-The blue key will unlock a small underground base on the smaller garden,witch contains the red key,that unlocks the cave in the garden opening,it won't be big,nor have secrets,however,there will be a lot of plataforming and detail,after the plataforming you get the yellow key,witch unlocks the passageway (more like a small corridor) to the bigger garden,at this point,the player can either go on the abandoned mansion and end the level,or go into a cave,with a secret area,much like the first cave,then,there will be a exact replica of the yellow key room in the cave,this one will have a really hard to find and to reach secret witch leads to a secret level.
There will be 3 levels and 1 secret one in the demo,and 10 levels and 3 secret ones in the full wad,titled:The Crash
-Levels in the demo are,in order:
-The Garden (Medium,only one avaible on early release,Very large)
-The Mansion (Medium,Medium)
-The Cellar (Easy,Game ending,short)
-Tunnels of the hatred(Secret,Large-ish,Unfair)
-Levels in full wad are,in order:
-The Crash (Very easy,short)
-The Garden (Medium,Very large)
-The Mansion (Medium,Medium)
-The Cellar (Easy,short)
-Leaving the Mansion (Hard,very short)
-Run to the base (Medium,Large)
-Hellish base (Very Hard,medium)
-Chaos portal (Unfair,very short)
-Within hell (Hard,very large)
-Souls portal (Insane,game ending,very short,boss fight)
-Tunnels of the hatred (Secret,Large-ish,Unfair)
-htaeD (Super secret,Very short,Boss fight,alternate ending,Torturous difficulty)
-Sky temple (Stupidly easy,large,alternate ending,mainly for aprectiation of level design.

Give me your toughts!

scifista42 said:

DMGUYDZ64, really, you could use actually reading the threads you post in, and not just thread titles.

Excuse me if i was too lazy to scan each post .

sesalpinogamer said:

Also,how do i create locked doors for doom in hexen format?

This way :

Make sure to tag the Door sector, Set movement speed to Higher than 0 or it won't work .
You can also select key required for Door from "Lock" .