Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fen boi

DM maps, what do you guys want?

I released 3 DM maps so far, and have receive good feedback. But to make really good maps I need input from good/regular players. Tell me what to avoid, what really kills a map, is bot play important, how important are looks etc. Thanks in advance.

Xfire (xfire3.zip on 3darchives) is the latest DM map. The previous maps are map20 from Darkening2 and map25 'Sureshot' an addon for the same project. Did some SP stuff also.

RailGunner said:

i already reported you to the moderator...

HE IS A MODERATOR YOU VERITABLE FUCKTARD.

And since you seem to be so absentminded, I'll point out that I'm an administrator, and you should probably STOP FLOODING MY INBOX WITH COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY STAFF MEMBERS, and maybe start making posts that aren't the stupidest posts in the history of this forum. Let's try this: no gay/bi/race/nationality-bashing posts, no throwing first-grade comebacks around, especially no belching/farting in threads ... basically none of your childish BS, even once again, if you want to retain your membership here. I'm sick of cleaning up your messes. Post something worthwhile or disappear.

fen boi: Still here? Heh.

1. Freedom of movement
2. Rocket launcher (with lots and lots of rockets! :)
3. Medium size (so it can work as 1 on 1 or fragfest)
4. Varied weapons (BFG and Plasma included although these are least important imo)
5. Many people will disagree with me here: Make sure all areas of the map are risk neutral. Even areas where powerful weapons and powerups are postitioned. That means no dead end hallways ever. No exposed areas where a player can be fired upon by another player from behind cover. Try to make every part of the map equally usable for attack and defense.

Re: Bot play. A plus if you can manage it well. Not too big a deal though.

Re: Appearance. A good looking dm map is always good. Not as important as in single play. An ugly map however is difficult to take seriously.

Number one map killer: Damaging sectors. (Areas of slime, lava etc).

Number two map killer: Areas of extreme darkness.

I wouldn't mind having some good Episode 1 base-style levels or some good Hell-themed levels to DM in.

Ok, a few more questions

1)Is Doom2.exe compatibility prefered?
2) plasma and BFG, none at all? difficult to reach etc

Doom2.exe compatible? Sure. DM maps don't need to be complicated. If a map will play on the original .exe it will be playable by everyone regardless of their favorite port.

Plasma and BFG? I say include them. A DM map should really have all the weapons for the sake of variety. You don't have to make them any harder to reach than any of the other weapons. Just don't place any extra cells at all or very few. It will help keep things balanced. Players will have to be careful how they are used if they don't want to waste ammo.

one thing, deh-modifications adding flamethrowers to DM, that'd be sweet; ill even make a good one and upload...

One voice CAN shut the retards up... (or about 50 voices, but i AM only one furry)

ravage said:

One voice CAN shut the retards up... (or about 50 voices, but i AM only one furry)

Heh, oops, I forgot to clean up the thread last time :P

This should read a little better now ;)

As for the topic: I must be the only person on earth who loves huge (and I mean HYOOOGE) DM maps. I hate small arena-type maps like Map01, they get boring after about 2 minutes. I am more of an adventurous type, and while some say adventure and exploration doesn't belong in DM, I beg to differ. The smallest map in Doom2 that I like to DM on is Map13 (Downtown), it's pretty good for a one-on-one.

Personally, I'd like to see some rather large DM maps intended for 4 or more players. The best and most intense showdowns are the ones you've spent minutes collecting powerups and weapons for, not where you get thrown into the middle of the action with enough time to maybe pick up a weapon or two before facing off.

Lüt said:
As for the topic: I must be the only person on earth who loves huge (and I mean HYOOOGE) DM maps. I hate small arena-type maps like Map01, they get boring after about 2 minutes. I am more of an adventurous type, and while some say adventure and exploration doesn't belong in DM, I beg to differ. The smallest map in Doom2 that I like to DM on is Map13 (Downtown), it's pretty good for a one-on-one.

Personally, I'd like to see some rather large DM maps intended for 4 or more players. The best and most intense showdowns are the ones you've spent minutes collecting powerups and weapons for, not where you get thrown into the middle of the action with enough time to maybe pick up a weapon or two before facing off.

I also like my DM maps big. nouthing worse then being caught out with little or no ammo, or worse, being attacked when you respawned just after you were kill by the same player! E4M4 is great fun in deathmatch! the map has all the weapons spered out oner the entier map, ammo everywere, and spawn points in all the right places.

I also like my DM maps to be realistic looking.

but if you really whant to impress me, Find a way to remake quake 3's "the Longest Yard"! I've always whanted to see it done with doom ;)

I'd like to see L13(Downtown) style DM wads, there were people talking about it on irc...shooting out of windows from buildings, picking out your enemies in hiding, it won't be as fast paced but I think it'd be pretty cool...the buildings maybe shouldn't that high..

Lüt said:

maps like Map01

Are awful, I agree. Too small, no flow at all. I like Map 16 better for DM than Map 13.