Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Share some wierd, yet amazing Doom ports you know.

I never knew about that port. Pretty cool, even if it's arguable how much it's really a C64 and not a different machine piggybacking off of it.

ADoom is pretty cool. One of the earlier sourceports, ran on AmigaOS. It had mouselooking and even an optional overmap in the corner.

Buckshot said:

Nice shitposting. Great way to make a new member feel welcome.

Sodaholic said:

Nice shitposting. Great way to make a new member feel welcome.

Thanks Soda! Anytime!

But on a more serious note, there was a oscilloscope version of DOOM (or perhaps it was Quake) out there... let me see if I can find it

EDIT: here it is... 'twas Quake actually, my bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdiHh6mW58

MetroidJunkie said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZaKlLyikKg

Doom got on one, too. Just not with the crazy line graphics.

Heh. pretty sweet... though I assume that's DOOM running on the oscillators processor and hardware, while Quake is being run a different manner on the oscillator, like as a input frequency of some sort?

Buckshot said:

Thanks Soda! Anytime!

Really though, what about the OP bothered you enough to insult him?

im not offended by the man behind the mask, but rather the mask itself. Everytime I see that name... I cringe thinking of this:

https://youtu.be/SSCzDykng4g

it's just once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.

Sorry OP, no offense. You know I love you.

...though the irony here is soda is not the least bit concerned about the default "dumb" subject header to most threads (including this one) that would leave most newcomers perplexed, but acts as if I murdered 10 children by posting a pic only implying the same?

Soda, if you've got hate in your heart... let it out.

now back on topic...

Sodaholic said:

ADoom is pretty cool. One of the earlier sourceports, ran on AmigaOS. It had mouselooking and even an optional overmap in the corner.

I'd love to hear some doom music in mod format, or even create a wad for zdoom using the files!

Buckshot said:

Heh. pretty sweet... though I assume that's DOOM running on the oscillators processor and hardware, while Quake is being run a different manner on the oscillator, like as a input frequency of some sort?

It seems to be on the actual screen, guess this oscillator's capable of full color. It's also run on a color printer display, although I guess it had difficulties with the bsp engine. Can't be the screen since the main title pic renders correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLHx3vO7KJM

Jon said:

Ive been planning to post another version of that video because the author didn't set the text mode to the larger size (80x50) which makes it look a lot better.

That reminds me.. How do you set it to 80x50? I couldn't find out how.

At the command prompt - MODE CON: COLS=80 LINES=50

For DOSBox, you'll probably need to install FreeDOS.

Buckshot said:

im not offended by the man behind the mask, but rather the mask itself. Everytime I see that name... I cringe thinking of this: https://youtu.be/SSCzDykng4g

That wasn't really clear. I thought you were being a dick to him for no reason. No big deal, though.

Cybersexdemon said:

Still better than BFG edition.

For what it's worth, I don't think BFG edition was a bad product at all. Sure, the versions of Classic Doom were butchered, but there were good legal reasons for it, and it's not like the changes really got in the way of the experience (the Wolf maps suck anyway). Doom 3 was the main focus. I liked the tweaks they made to the gameplay and sounds. The levels load far faster than vanilla.

If given a choice between BFG and vanilla for playing the base game, I'd go with BFG any day of the week. It's not modder friendly, but that wasn't one of its goals. It was just supposed to be a refined version of the base game. If I knew of a way to rip the BFG edition assets, I'd totally port them back to vanilla to get the best of both worlds.

My problem with the Classic Doom side isn't that they censored things but that they took the laziest route possible to censor those things. In the GBA version of Doom II, the SS Guards remained and they replaced the swastikas with the German Eagle. I don't see why they couldn't have easily used those resources instead of stripping everything completely out to make it as bland as possible. Even the pill texture replacement looks like they took 5 seconds with MSPaint to make it.

MetroidJunkie said:

Even the pill texture replacement looks like they took 5 seconds with MSPaint to make it.

Hear! Hear!

I once accidentally loaded up the bfg edition DOOM .wad's in Doomsday instead of the originals, and I at first thought something was broken with the medpack's red cross. Took me hours before I'm like "is that a 'effing pill? WHO DID THIS? THIS LOOKS ATROCIOUS!!!! " and googled it.

Then I realized my mistake. Then I uninstalled it from my machine. End of story.

Sodaholic said:

Really though, what about the OP bothered you enough to insult him?

I've seen a lot of the users other threads. At least this user is active.

I'm getting leery of the latest batch of noobs and their mental state.

There's another forum I was recently bounced the fuck out of for asking too many noob questions.

They didn't even really have to change it from being a cross, it being a red cross was the only real issue. Make it black or something and you're golden, Red Cross certainly can't claim ownership over the Christian cross now can they?

Red plus is different than a cross.

MetroidJunkie said:

They didn't even really have to change it from being a cross, it being a red cross was the only real issue. Make it black or something and you're golden, Red Cross certainly can't claim ownership over the Christian cross now can they?

Green or blue are completely viable options which actual real-world products use.

Technically it's a PC source port but it's a pretty interesting one nonetheless

Scoredoom is some interesting port I found a while back I think based on an earlier version of GZDoom (or possibly Skulltag even) which makes the game more of an arcade score based game, with online leaderboards too.

Needless to say the guy playing has some sound and gore mods enabled. It's still just Doom when you don't run it with mods.

Jon said:

Ive been planning to post another version of that video because the author didn't set the text mode to the larger size (80x50) which makes it look a lot better.

Nice. As much as like the novelty of playing doom with a text render, I was turned off at first with the "low resolution" so to speak, which only makes it barely playable in that video.

Boy, that text mode version of Doom gave me some perspective. Makes that old 320x200 perspective seem like HD.