Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

So, what exactly happened at the end of TNT?

Something rumbles in the distance. A blue light begins to glow inside the ruined skull of the Demon-Spitter.

The nightmare sky that was red turned blue, then shortly after a blue light illuminated the innards of the ruined Icon. While it obviously implies a cliffhanger / it's not over yet it intrigues me to this day that the Icon possibly has a second form. It would be a neat idea to see that in a ZDoom WAD or something.

I haven't played TNT2: Devilution but was the ending of TNT: Evilution addressed in any way? And do the first 11 levels in that have a blue sky?

When I first beat it I assumed that the sky blooming blue meant all evil went poof and the good stuff boomed, until its groom Plutonia exhumed to loom you back to your Doom.

I guess you could read the instruction manual to Final Doom.

I always thought it meant that the prototype accelerator thingie that was lost was activating, or could be recovered. But it's vague at best.

Or how about the fact that, in the story, the demons invade Io by using a spaceship built of steel, stone, flesh, bone and corruption but not once is it ever shown? Even in the other Doom's the main story and intermission text went hand-in-hand with where you were going and the levels and skyboxes reflected that. That's more or less how Evilution went up until the last third of it where it looks more like Hell is merging with Io instead of going up to the ship and blowing it up.

I dunno, maybe it's just me that thinks it would be cool if there was a megaWAD dedicated to going through and wrecking a giant spaceship from Hell. :v

Seeing that ship in-game would be awesome. I don't think that prototype accelerator thingie was relevant to TNT's story.

I think it was deliberately made vague, in order to make the player wonder (and make his own interpretations).

I, for one, think the Marine passed out (or perhaps even died) from exhaustion after the fight and was simply dreaming.

By the way, I've always thought that Icarus was, in a way, the sequel to Evilution... probably because its plot also has something to do with a spaceship. And speaking of speaceships, I've often thought that the last levels of Evilution (25 - 30) take place aboard that demonic ship.

To me, the blue at the end depicts Hell losing control.

Red = power
Blue = weakness

Nems said:

Or how about the fact that, in the story, the demons invade Io by using a spaceship built of steel, stone, flesh, bone and corruption but not once is it ever shown?

Title screen?

Matt534Dog said:

Title screen?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/e/ed/TNT_title.gif/revision/latest?cb=20080630083653

...it takes quite a lot of imagination to see this as anything other than an amateur's go at 3D Studio '95, with one dish and four dildos forming a "spaceship".

Unless that yellowish sponge behind the logo is supposed to be the evil spaceship...

Avoozl said:

Wasn't Plutonia a continuation of TNT's story?

No, Plutonia and TNT are two different stories that take place after Doom 2.

T-Rex said:

No, Plutonia and TNT are two different stories that take place after Doom 2.

Yeah my bad, I was thinking of Plutonia's story, but not that they are connected.

Maes said:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/e/ed/TNT_title.gif/revision/latest?cb=20080630083653

...it takes quite a lot of imagination to see this as anything other than an amateur's go at 3D Studio '95, with one dish and four dildos forming a "spaceship".

Unless that yellowish sponge behind the logo is supposed to be the evil spaceship...

Still better than the space ship in the star wars prequels

esselfortium said:

I thought this thread was going to be about how TNT ran out of good maps in its last episode.

LOL

Cyanosis said:

I haven't played TNT2: Devilution but was the ending of TNT: Evilution addressed in any way? And do the first 11 levels in that have a blue sky?

Well of course you haven't played it, it's not out yet :P

For some reason, the intermission screen seemed fascinating to me. Like the marine is looking somberly out in the distance, bitter about the literal hell that they're going through. Or I'm just being overly analytical. Still, the accompanying music doesn't exactly inspire confidence, it's almost like the marine has fallen into despair.

It blows up right?

MetroidJunkie said:

For some reason, the intermission screen seemed fascinating to me. Like the marine is looking somberly out in the distance, bitter about the literal hell that they're going through. Or I'm just being overly analytical. Still, the accompanying music doesn't exactly inspire confidence, it's almost like the marine has fallen into despair.

Yup, I always loved TNT's intermission screen. The picture and music just fit together really well, giving a bit of a feeling of... not quite despair, but melancholy, certainly.

Magnusblitz said:

Yup, I always loved TNT's intermission screen. The picture and music just fit together really well, giving a bit of a feeling of... not quite despair, but melancholy, certainly.

Same, IIRC I think Plutonia is suppose to be after Doom II since the beginning describes the recovery of Earth, and Evilution as the final chapter in the classic Doom story, since toward the end of Evilution's write up is the Doomguy taking the fight personally to Hell, to fight and potentially die for the men he had trained. And with how Hell had one more trick up its sleeve with the giant Hell ship, it was like their final offensive. TNT's MAP30 is certainly the most epic in terms of Doom II finales.

Unless you're like me and count Doom 64 as Doomguy's last call.

MetroidJunkie said:

Like the marine is looking somberly out in the distance, bitter about the literal hell that they're going through. Or I'm just being overly analytical.

The entire TNT feels like this for me - bitter, melancholic, brooding, distant, introspective.

Plutonia is a savage battle for survival, while TNT is more like a journey through the barren fields of your tortured soul.

Cyanosis said:

Same, IIRC I think Plutonia is suppose to be after Doom II since the beginning describes the recovery of Earth, and Evilution as the final chapter in the classic Doom story, since toward the end of Evilution's write up is the Doomguy taking the fight personally to Hell, to fight and potentially die for the men he had trained.

As far as I remember, TNT's story states that the UAC survived Hell on Earth and continued its operations (on Io), whereas in Plutonia, the UAC is pretty much gone and is re-founded under strict government control.

That's why I consider them to be two alternative (and unrelated) storylines.

Plutonia's end unlike TNT's seems to imply that he was over with stopping hell if I recall correctly.