Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Small update to OBLIGE

andrewj said:

Oblige generates a dehacked lump with map names when the Engine setting is BOOM or anything boom-compatible.

Oh derp, I set it to limit removing only. :p

As for theme sets, how does Oblige generate maps? Does it snap together prefabs, or is it more complex than that?

I played some more Oblige 6.22. Having it set to more health let me go a lot longer from level to level. Now the issue became no ammo, so I'll boost it up to more ammo. Ha more didn't help. At least I'm going much further with more health.

I really love the mountain lakes. I do hope you put something in the lake randomly. Another thing I enjoy is when you're dumped into the starting room of a level there's a chance for 4 doors or so. I remember that happening more with previous versions, but it happens more. I'll go to a dead end and think wtf I didn't miss anything... yeah except for the start room that has 4 doors. duh.

Oblige definitely does have its own feel. I think there's a lot more action in maps because humans seem to limit themselves to logical things. Oblige doesn't care. Its the randomness of enemy placement that keeps it interesting and very action oriented. Wide open spaces ensure you can strafe.

I do of course miss the perfection of a finely crafted map that offers more variety and a different feel.

*edit* back to 6.20 fucking rail gunners. Level 1 picks me off at the starting point a millisecond after starting.

geo said:

After my latest death to a railgun sniper its time to give yours a try. The railgunner shot me first so I knew he existed, then I lived in fear of him and the open area that he could just sniper me in.

What folder do I dump these in? I put them in scripts.

Not all go in scripts, check the Oblige directories and compare which go where with the archive side by side. I was too lazy to do nested directories.

monsters.lua, levels.lua, materials.lua, themes.lua, v3_skins.lua, pickups.lua go in /games/doom

Everything else goes in games/doom/wall

Geo: What settings do you typically use? I use hordes for monster quantity normal/harder for monster strength, normal/large for level size, rare for health, less/normal for ammo and normal for outdoor areas. I like using lots of windows and height variation as well.

Glaice said:

Not all go in scripts, check the Oblige directories and compare which go where with the archive side by side. I was too lazy to do nested directories.

monsters.lua, levels.lua, materials.lua, themes.lua, v3_skins.lua, pickups.lua go in /games/doom

Everything else goes in games/doom/wall

Geo: What settings do you typically use? I use hordes for monster quantity normal/harder for monster strength, normal/large for level size, rare for health, less/normal for ammo and normal for outdoor areas. I like using lots of windows and height variation as well.

The lmas are now in their correct folders.

I have done hordes a few times, but I typically use normal settings.

I do normal and mix it up for most everything. Marines I have on scarce as I've discussed. I also play on Hurt me Plenty usually. I'm so happy when I find another marine!

I'm about to do my first all extreme map size for the lolz I normally have it set to episodic. ... 50 minutes later 2 levels that were 20 minutes and 1 that was 10. To Obliges testament I don't get lost, although the third level I was starting to get there with a blue key far away from a blue door and a yellow key far away from the yellow door.

I can really remember all 3 levels after spending so much time in them. The first level was mostly outdoors, but the sort of meh generic outdoors with no real description. It also fell into the pattern of a room with 4 doors, 1 I just came from, the other open door flips a switch that opens door 3. In that room is a switch that opens door 4. It was like that all too often.

The second was a canyon outdoors that was pretty cool. The third level had high cliffs over a green river of ooze that I fell into but survived. There were also a lot of caves, which I always love. They feel so unique. I wish you could do that with the human made rooms, but with flat floors. It would just feel odd to have round walls.

All three of these have felt challenging yet not difficult. Enemies everywhere by the third level, hordes of them even if I chose normal.

My last death was due to a giant room being nothing but monster closets. It was hilarious. No where to run, no cover, all hit scans. Melted 200% to nothing.

The biggest change with the edits is theme specific wall pictures (using DOORSTOP and not METAL as trims for Tech levels), variations of existing wall pictures and theme specific crates (No UAC crates in hell!) and a truckload of edits to the theme files.

Even on scarce, the marines get to ridiculous numbers after the 6th level. I keep having to tell them to stay there or letting them run into battle hoping they'll die.

UAC crates might end up in Hell. I mean Diemos base wall pulled into Hell.

Quick question: can the level name and sky generators be released separately? Alternatively, perhaps an option or flag called "generate level names and skies only"? Obviously you'd need a dehacked lump for the map names, but the skies could be generated without one. If this is already doable, I apologize!

Dude, I need to shake your hand! Best tool I've seen for Doom, and it supports many source ports!!

It's awesome to see more people are getting interested in this program.

Kappes Buur said:

Is there a way to disable the dreaded monster closets?

There should be a setting in the configurator (is that a word?) that allows you to select the frequency of monster closets or opt to have none.

While investigating further I found this

After deleting the -- and saving I found the option for Closets which I set to NONE

Yet, closets were still generated