Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

First internet DM ever!

Today I had my first DM over the internet, and the truth is it sucked. I won't be repeating the experience.

I thought it would be incredible, after hearing all of you guys harping on about it for ages.

The maps are too small and crowded. There's no strategy; it's just keep shooting until someone gets in front of your gun. Shit, you don't even have time to aim!! If I want to play like that, I can just make a map with shitloads of really fast monsters and off I go!

The whole point of playing against humans is to have to think a bit more IMHO. Just look at Counter Strike for example. You don't just run in all guns blazing. You don't see everyone running around like a bunch of dwarves on steroids either.

In conclusion, I'll definitely be giving DM a miss for a long time.

I played against you, and I thought it was pretty fun. Large, open
maps are not good for DM because there's no action. Just wandering,
one or two shots from across the room, and then more wandering...

Besides you only played DWANGO5.WAD. There are other maps out
there. GREENWAR.WAD is a great DM wad.

And no, there's a reason it's called 'Deathmatch' -- you run around and
you kill people. Why create a strategy, when you can run into a room
with your BFG and massacre everything?

But, whatever. It's your loss.

Lobo said:

it's just keep shooting until someone gets in front of your gun.

hehe, you suck.

I admit it, I stink at DM, although it was my first day :-)

Of course the fact that I'm on a 56K modem(and in Spain!) doesn't help too much either.

Anyhoo, I'll try out that greenwar thing and see how it goes. But I was just expecting so much more...

Lobo said:

I admit it, I stink at DM, although it was my first day :-)

Everyone stinks at DM at 1st, and if you have the bad luck to enter a game with a couple of good 'uns in it, it can be daunting, couple of games with average players, like 99cop,and Ralphis in, say, and you will be fine

Lobo said:

it's just keep shooting until someone gets in front of your gun. Shit, you don't even have time to aim!!

Doom Deathmatch is much different to games like CounterStrike; they're totally different games and I dont think they can really be compared. Some people prefer the fast paced nonstop carnage of Doom to the slower pace of games like CounterStrike. It forces you to think and move quickly and I think tests your reaction times more than your tactical skill. Its just a matter of taste really.

heh, come play me in doom2 map01 without any tactics and we'll see how you do =)

fraggle said:

Doom Deathmatch is much different to games like CounterStrike; they're totally different games and I dont think they can really be compared. Some people prefer the fast paced nonstop carnage of Doom to the slower pace of games like CounterStrike. It forces you to think and move quickly and I think tests your reaction times more than your tactical skill. Its just a matter of taste really.

Quakeworld is nice, combination of both reflexes and tactics, only fun I can have with any of the Quakes.

If you've played Dwango5 I can see why you're unhappy with Doom DM. The majority of Dwango maps are very unprofessionally designed and do not make for good, balanced DM. They were made a long, LONG time ago by regulars on the Dwango network. Try something like GreenWar.wad or Vex-ZDoom.wad, or go oldschool on the zone and give a talented DMer a game on Map01 or Map11, that's real Doom DM.

I'm telling you bub, the best dwango dual map ever is d5m2, but sure is a spam on it when it's ffa.

fodders said:

Nothing wrong with dwango5 map07 dude

The majority of Dwango maps I said

Liam the Bard said:

The majority of Dwango maps I said

If you've played Dwango5 I can see why you're unhappy with Doom DM.

play 1 on 1.

Yeah, Lobo... Listen to Erik, he's a wise man.

Also, when you judge those dwango maps, you
need to keep in mind that they were made in
the mid-90's, when there was no way to squeeze
in more than 4 people in a DooM game at the
same time. Jumping was also not a feature in
the original DooM, but unfortunately, some
csDooM and Zdaemon servers do allow jumping.

Of course the gameplay's gonna blow if you
cram too many players into maps made for 2-4
players, and even more so if they keep jumping
around like Super Mario.

DooM deathmatch is supposed to be intense and
fast paced. The point of DooM deathmatch is NOT
to sit and snipe on some roof top for half an
hour, waiting for someone to walk by. And thank
heavens for that!

1 on 1 on DooM2 map01, that's strategy extraor-
dinaire for you right there. That's the ultimate
deathmatch experience

N.C.

Ok folks, I'll not give up on DM just yet then.

However, if you do play against me one of these days, remember that I'm a newbie to DM so PLEASE be kind :-)

Like I said in the coop games thread, there should be more teamplay games - they'd be fun - Counter-Strike and Team Fortress can only be played in teams and that makes them great. I don't mean that I agree with Lobo in that Doom DM sucks, I think that's great too. By the way, Lobo, what's your name in CS?

Lobo said:

However, if you do play against me one of these days, remember that I'm a newbie to DM so PLEASE be kind :-)

Play against me. I'm no newbie, but I'm a fucking shit player.

Yeah, I would prefer team play.

When you say CS what do you mean? Counter Strike or Client-Server Doom? I don't play counter strike over the net so don't worry about it. In Doom it'll be lobo or lobo_eire.

Lobo said:

Yeah, I would prefer team play.

When you say CS what do you mean? Counter Strike or Client-Server Doom? I don't play counter strike over the net so don't worry about it. In Doom it'll be lobo or lobo_eire.

I meant Counter-Strike, sorry, I should've said the full name, didn't think about it getting confused with csDoom. Ah, shame you don't play it over the net. I know quite a few Doomers do, but I don't know they're names. Oh well, I'll see you in Doom.