Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

OwTheEdge - 2 Bloody Maps to Play

OwTheEdge - 2 challenging boom-compatible/limit-removing maps for Doom 2 made to be played in UV. Well there is a third map but I lost interest in it by that point, it is sorta completed as in you can explore and finish it.

Credits and stuff:

Spoiler

Quick Story: Doomguy was hecka hungry so he went to Denny's for some hot chicken tendies. He followed the scent of delicious tendies to a dark and gothic refrigerator. He got locked inside eating the tendies until the fridge began to toss and turn, germinate and regurgitate which sent Doomguy to the darker realms of the celestial planes of existence. Find peace and escape and stuff, now go.

Credits: Cage's Texture Pack, Gothic Textures, Potpourri Textures, DrDoctor's Texture Pack, Invasion UAC part 1, Herian 1 & 2, Doomkid's Sinister Seven, Blakglov.zip, rc-dc.zip, plmsky1.zip, doomworld comments, Mark Klem, David Shaw, H. R. Giger, GTWY2000.wad, Biowar, Deus Vult II, id software, and cool new shades made by yours truly. Hope I didn't forget anyone...

Screenies:
Spoiler

Ammo is scarce and every monster is deadly - hope you enjoy this kind of stuff.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsco4wky9x4sjr/OwTheEdge.zip?dl=0

Teeny Tiny Update:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mphaumfmjg5ctan/OwTheEdge1.1.zip?dl=0

Tell me what you think please :s

MAP01 was fantastic, both visually and gameplay-wise, and not really difficult (I've died anyway, but I'm no expert player at all). I have one complaint: I couldn't find the red key until I've explored the map back and forth three times and then cheated anyway to learn where it was, and it turned out that a certain inconspicuous wall was actually a mandatory door to a new area with red key. It might be my own fault, the wall even had a door texture (although darkened), but still, I thought you would make mandatory switches/doors more prominent, to eliminate the possibility of someone getting lost because of overlooking something. Funnily enough, I didn't have problems discovering the shootable switch that opened the secret area at the northeast.

Whoopsies, my bad, I'll change & update the door texture right now. I remember that was the last room I visited now that I think about it most of the time during play-testing >.<.

Though I do remember wanting it to be kinda mean, and not exactly conventional like that during the beginning design though :s

MAP02 was great in the same ways as 01. Tight ammo balance, but that's all OK with me, the gameplay was exciting and the visuals impressive. I must complain about darkness. Specifically, many places within the map had uniformly dark light level covering most of the screen, while a lot of other places were OK (=contrasting brightness and darkness). The dark ones were annoying for me, I mostly unwantedly bumped into things. Even where it was possible to see outlines in the darkness (if I looked to my monitor closely), my eyes couldn't switch between normal lighting and dark vision "modes" as fast and easily as this map dictated.

Another (this time minor) thing, the bloody pillars in front of the big blue door couldn't be leaped over via normal running, I had to straferun. I wouldn't guess it at first, and I actually had to retry the jump 3 times. I thought if you slightly raised the first pillar and slightly lowered the second one, it could be fixed. In addition, the switch raising the bloody platform can be activated from below, which allows getting behind the big blue door without blue key, and even if it didn't, it just seems odd and I would personally fix it from being possible to happen. By the way, I don't understand the purpose of the small room behind the small blue door up there, it doesn't seem to contain anything important or anything at all, even, besides the eye/hand detail barely visible in darkness.

Thanks for the feedback! If I ever pick this up again there will be a lot of replacing/deleting and a map03 will rise from the grave.

The shootable switch in map01 was actually mandatory and why it was bright to the max. The darkness in map02 was actually darker, then brighter, then dark again for some silly reason and the blood pillars were supposed to be accessed from the useless empty room where there is a switch to raise the blood around it. Map02 has a lot of problems... I guess it was a good idea to not force myself to finish map03 when I didn't even want to work on map02 half-way through. I'll have to make a map between breaks since making one map right after another wears on me (even though I still want to try forcing myself to do that).

Every monster is deadly but I would say that health is scarce ;)
Cool maps. Textures and sounds give me a raw Quake feel. Great horror-esque feel.
I managed to never die but I was always on low health. Like the other your maps I have played there's a good interconnection that allows the monsters to roam, and lots of traps. Every area has something to offer to the player in every aspect. Great job!

I haven't had much trouble finishing these maps on UV, mainly thanks to the berserk packs. They allowed me to easily dispatch lesser monsters, saving the ammo for tougher ones. I actually died once in Map02, but that was because I run into a dead-end corridor in attempt to hide from archvile attacks. For some reason, all blue doors in Map03 didn't work in Zdoom. But the main downside of the mod are shitty (and too loud) custom sounds. The sunshades on doomguy's face were really cheesy, too.

Just in case anyone was intersted, here is "cleaned" version of this mod, without custom sounds, HUD etc.:

http://sharesend.com/ib0nkbt6

Heh, these maps are great. I really like how unpredictable they are, with so many options of where to go and floors dropping out from under you and the like. They remind me a bit of Darch's preacher maps only more confined and controlled. I played on to map03, seems like its practically finished, just a few empty rooms.

The gaudy colour scheme is quite something, ugly as it is I think it works really well for these maps, they have a cartoonish feel to the way they look and play.

Cool beans.