Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Heretic

Scythe 2 Demos [-complevel 2]

Ribbiks said:

map26 uv-max in 3:54

Ha, the last HK went down with your last bullet. Lovely!

👌 scythe2 DSDA Text File.txt 👌

You are supposed to name the txt file the same as the demo and the zip.

1 hour ago, Ancalagon said:

👌 scythe2 DSDA Text File.txt 👌

You are supposed to name the txt file the same as the demo and the zip.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I'll remember for next time. Thanks.

12 hours ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

This one nearly made me throw my computer out the window.

You'll get used to that.

Also technically you should use a separate textfile for every demo, but I didn't want to overload you with crazy old people conventions. :)

25 minutes ago, dew said:

Also technically you should use a separate textfile for every demo, but I didn't want to overload you with crazy old people conventions. :)

But actually I enjoy writing that file a lot... probably I'm too old.

5 hours ago, dew said:

Thanks for the clarification, dew. I'm still learning the basics here, heh. I'll certainly remember that for next time. :)

Nice run but what happened to maps 31 and 32? If they have to be accessed through map 15 then wouldn't they count as episode 3?

Oh wow, I'm an idiot and didn't realise the implications. I kind of treated those two as "extra-episodic maps", not part of any of the six. But your logic is sound and consistent with current UV-Speed TASes (EP3 one quits it through MAP31 just because it's faster than opening MAP15 normal exit) and according to it they indeed should be treated as part of EP3. In that case my run is invalid and shouldn't be uploaded to DSDA (maybe as a misc category, but anyone interested has probably already seen it here, no point cluttering the demo listing). And there's no way I'm redoing it in that case. MAP31 secret exit is completely bullshit, like Scythe MAP28 but infinitely worse, getting it after those five normal maps done at fast(ish) pace is just not feasible, at least for me. It's a completely different story if we somehow agreed to consider MAP31 to be part of EP3, but MAP32 a part of EP4 just for sake of feasability of episodic max runs that include both secret levels across all six. However that isn't consistent with EP4 TAS, which starts at MAP16, not 32. Maps 11-20 + 31/32 are very weird because the normal 15->16 death exit breaks the continuity, but taking 31->16 lets you enter that part with full gear, as does 31->32->16, making them kind of a single episode that would otherwise be considered two separate ones.

Edited by tchkb

I figured there was a legit reason why runners have done episode 1 and 2 UV-Max but stopped at episode 3. Is map 32 entrance a timed exit that makes it impossible to uv-max? This wad def breaks the traditional rules with episode levels. I don't see why we cant just decide to make episode 3 11-15, 31 and episode 4 32, 16-20? I don't think anyone will argue...

7 minutes ago, PjSpartacus said:

I don't think anyone will argue...

You underestimate how pedantic some members of the Doom community (like me) can be. I think, short of agreed upon, well-reasoned exceptions, for any movie requiring 100% secrets (and/or 100% kills provided the secret maps aren't empty), the secret maps should be completed if any of the maps included in the movie have an exit leading to those maps, and the secret maps themselves are exitable.

I suspect you could convolute the rules heavily if you made maps where two different routes take you to the normal and secret exits and you have to choose which one to go on and be forced to miss monsters on the other route or if the secret exits aren't placed on the right map and maybe in other odd cases.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people creating new categories and recording to any set of rules and selection of levels they like, but if you use standard terms, then people will naturally assume that you are using them to mean the standard things.

It used to be "standard" that Doom 1 episode demos would never include a M8 time, and all demo times were always rounded down to the nearest second instead of recording milliseconds (or... centiseconds I guess?), but those "standards" have changed over time to both being commonplace.

Episode 3 UV-Max in 48:39, PrBoom+ v2.5.1.5, -complevel 2

This took a lot less time than I expected. Moving at snail's pace and getting the best possible luck with MAP31 Evil Marines probably had a lot to do with this. Good luck to anyone who tries to do this faster.

s2e3-4839.zip