Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barefootstallion

DD_DEFNS Error on Load - Risen 3D

Still working on my wad here. Got done all the way up to map05, everything works great. Started on Map06 today, and Risen 3D starts crashing out on loadup with "Syntax Error in DD_DEFNS Lump".

Like, oi. Maybe I messed some script up, yeah? Well, I went and looked. I mean really looked. Spent a couple of hours going through my code. Event sent the wad to a friend, he started looking with me.

We could find absolutely NO syntax errors in any of my code!

Here's all my code - by map:

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP01";
NAME = "INDOCTRINATION FACILITY"
AUTHOR = "BAREFOOTSTALLION & HAWKWIND";
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP02";
NAME = "WATER TREATMENT PLANT"
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP03";
NAME = "CARGO RECEIVING"
AUTHOR = "BAREFOOTSTALLION & DARYN";
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP04";
NAME = "CREW FACILITIES"
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP05";
NAME = "ENGINEERING SERVICES"
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP06";
NAME = "DRAGON SECTOR MINE"
AUTHOR ="BAREFOOTSTALLION & DARYN";
}

As you can see, all of the syntax is absolutely correct.

The only other issue I think it MIGHT be is the size of the wad itself. It's approaching 50 megabytes.

Yeah, almost 300 custom textures and quite a few custom ambient sounds. It's grown pretty huge.

In fact... here's the whole shabang. Maybe one of you Risen 3D gurus out there can get it to work - and hopefully tell me HOW you got it to work! XD

Here's the file: http://www.barefootstallion.org/doomstuff/rdtexttest.7z

The wad and the custom textures are all in the 7z file. If you know Risen 3D you'll know where to put it all to get it to work.

Either way, I sure would appreciate some expert help!

Also, those who are able to get it fixed, will have something I think will be very enjoyable to play. I've got about three years in what's in that file. People sometimes SAY they're making a megawad... well, this IS a megawad - already, and not just in the making!

Please help! And enjoy! :-D

I'm not very familiar with Doomsday/Risen3D, but I notice one thing here:

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP01";
}
You have a semicolon to terminate the ID and AUTHOR lines, but there's none at the end of the NAME line, which seem inconsistent. Doomsday docs say it should have a semicolon like everything else. Put semicolons at the end of all your NAME lines (there's the same issue on all six definitions) and I bet it'll work.

Gez said:

I'm not very familiar with Doomsday/Risen3D, but I notice one thing here:

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP01";
}
You have a semicolon to terminate the ID and AUTHOR lines, but there's none at the end of the NAME line, which seem inconsistent. Doomsday docs say it should have a semicolon like everything else. Put semicolons at the end of all your NAME lines (there's the same issue on all six definitions) and I bet it'll work.

I don't think it's that, honestly. The maps, all five of them, worked up until I started building map six. I am tending to think it is a Risen 3D issue with filesize/memory issue/number of sectors/size of sectors. Moreover, the wad loaded in every other Doom port we tried - loaded completely without error.

The main reason for this belief, is that we tried this already. My friend said it was the ONLY line that didn't require a semicolon. So after Risen 3D failed to load the maps with them in, we took them back out again.

This has been a really confusing problem. We finally took all of the DD_DEFNS out and Risen 3D loaded the maps just fine. But now that I have begun construction on Map six, new errors are starting to pop up; error messages concerning the formation of slopes (when I know I'm doing them right), and a new error that says I might be using the wrong iwad - when I haven't changed the iwad from Doom2 since the beginning.

I am starting to think that Risen 3D just has issues with maps/wads after they get past a certain filesize.

Dunno. If it can't be solved, I may just have to port my maps to a different port. :/

Don't you even want to TRY???

What Gez pointed out was the first thing I stumbled over as well.

Barefootstallion said:

I am starting to think that Risen 3D just has issues with maps/wads after they get past a certain filesize.

I don't know how big your file is but I have run a multi-map WAD file in Risen3D and the WAD had enough resources in it to make the the file almost 200MB.

I would see if I can get your WAD to run but the link is giving me a 404.

Enjay said:

I don't know how big your file is but I have run a multi-map WAD file in Risen3D and the WAD had enough resources in it to make the the file almost 200MB.

I would see if I can get your WAD to run but the link is giving me a 404.

Umm, I made an error. Remove one of the t's from texttest. Sorry about that.

Hi guys. I'd like to add a bit to this since I'm helping out with this project in a small way.

First, if you missed it that URL again is http://www.barefootstallion.org/doomstuff/rdtextest.7z

That'll get you the file to try out.

What we're running into with DD-DEFNS is happening regardless of whether or not we edit the script inside of Doom Builder 2 or SLADE 3. Initially MAP01 and MAP02's DD_DEFNS were working without the semicolon. So we followed that with 3/4/5. I checked the syntax for DD_DEFNS on the wiki and saw the semicolon there, so we tried it with that as well. Neither worked.

I exported all the DD_DEFNS lumps out and removed them from the WAD. As BFS said, that gets the maps to loading again. There's stuff I'd like to do with the DEFNS though, so leaving them out isn't an option for the long term. Here's the kicker though. When I re-imported the lumps back into the wad, the ones that were working, maps 01 and 02 now came up with syntax errors when trying to run in Risen3D. Yeah, the ones I'd just exported no longer work.

BFS also mentioned slopes not working in MAP06. He didn't fat finger the definitions. They were right. Risen3D was coming up with unmerged vertices. He got around this by moving the whole map closer to the center of the grid. I have no idea why that would even be an issue, but when he did that the map loaded with slopes just fine.

Another detail I can add is that when we look in script editor in Doom Buiilder only the SCP_ZOFF script appears there, even though we do have DD_DEFNS and SNDINFO lumps. Neither of those show up, but they do in SLADE.

So after all that, I'm left with one theory: Maybe we need to switch to a different nodebuilder?

Thanks guys. Really hoping that with our collected knowledge and experience we can sort this out.

It seems you have placed your DD_DEFNS lumps alongside map data lumps like VERTEXES. As far as I'm aware, Risen 3D (like Doomsday) expects that such definitions are separate to the map data because DD_DEFNS can be used for all manner of different purposes (not just specifying Map Info properties).

Have you tried concatenating all your Map Info definitions into a single DD_DEFNS lump in the "root" of the .WAD and seeing if Risen 3D accepts that?

DaniJ said:

It seems you have placed your DD_DEFNS lumps alongside map data lumps like VERTEXES. As far as I'm aware, Risen 3D (like Doomsday) expects that such definitions are separate to the map data because DD_DEFNS can be used for all manner of different purposes (not just specifying Map Info properties).

Have you tried concatenating all your Map Info definitions into a single DD_DEFNS lump in the "root" of the .WAD and seeing if Risen 3D accepts that?

Just gave that a try. Made a single DD_DEFNS lump with all the definitions and moved it to the very top. No change in the syntax error message. All of the entries have the semicolons too, since that's the formatting used on the wiki.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was worth a try, at any rate.

Mind posting a link to that concatenated DD_DEFNS lump? I could try running it through Doomsday's DED parser for you to see if it brings to light any further info.

Looking at the wad file, I notice a small oddity in that all your text lumps seem to end in 0x0000. Dunno if this trip the parser. What wad editor are you using to import them?

When I first tried it out I got the same error. After changing DD_DFENS with slade it works:
1. changed to text
-> Type: "Doomsday engine Defs"
2. I put everything into one lump (DD_DFENS)
3. Set the missing (?) semicolon
4. changed Name and Author for map05 and map06, just to experiment

Maybe there is a wrong character somewhere. Here is what I did:

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP04";
NAME = "CREW FACILITIES";
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP05";
NAME = "ENG";
AUTHOR = "BARE";
}
# ENGINEERING SERVICES
# BAREFOOTSTALLION & DARYN

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP06";
NAME = "DRAG";
AUTHOR ="BARE";
}

# DRAGON SECTOR MINE

I decided to try and load your mod in Doomsday and see if anything odd came up. I had to repackage it into a .zip because Doomsday does not currently support .7z

Doomsday was able to load your mod just fine (aside for few warnings regarding missing flats/textures (presumably due to Risen 3D doing away with the need for lowres originals)) and reports a total of 39 Map Info definitions when enumerating the total number of DED definitions in the database (the default number for Doom 2 is 33). Also, doomsday.out contained no syntax warnings.

In DED syntax version 6, Doomsday made semicolons optional. So, given this fact and assuming Risen 3D only supports the older version 5 syntax, my guess is that you are missing more than one semicolon.

Edit:
This one https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a7fgh6uicpp5te/DD_DEFNS.txt?dl=0 is correctly formed barring a missing double-quote on line 16*. The other is malformed, in the sense that what you are actually doing is defining a single Map Info definition and then repeatedly changing the ID, Name and Author properties of it. The former *should* work in Risen 3D whereas the latter *might* cause problems.

#1654 027.101  (!!!) Def_Read > Def_ReadProcessDED:
Error: In "c:/users/danij/documents/doom/rdtextest.ded" on line #16
  Syntax error in string value..

didy said:

When I first tried it out I got the same error. After changing DD_DFENS with slade it works:
1. changed to text
-> Type: "Doomsday engine Defs"
2. I put everything into one lump (DD_DFENS)
3. Set the missing (?) semicolon
4. changed Name and Author for map05 and map06, just to experiment

Maybe there is a wrong character somewhere. Here is what I did:

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP04";
NAME = "CREW FACILITIES";
}

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP05";
NAME = "ENG";
AUTHOR = "BARE";
}
# ENGINEERING SERVICES

MAP INFO {
ID = "MAP06";
NAME = "DRAG";
AUTHOR ="BARE";
}

# DRAGON SECTOR MINE

@didy, @Danij Okay, with what didy pasted in I was able to throw that into my DD_DEFNS lump and get it working. I then added in the defs for Maps 1, 2, and 3 and all of those work. Modified the shortened strings and all of those work as well.

Danij, After saving out the working defs I pasted the one you said was formatted correctly and fixed the missing ". Saved it and tried to load it. Syntax error.

WTF? On the plus side we have working defs. On the minus side I'm still unable to see what's wrong.

Does Doomsday support slopes, 3D Lines/floors/water dynamics, ambient sounds, that sort of thing? It's such an elegant engine.

Daryn said:

@didy, @Danij Okay, with what didy pasted in I was able to throw that into my DD_DEFNS lump and get it working. I then added in the defs for Maps 1, 2, and 3 and all of those work. Modified the shortened strings and all of those work as well.

Danij, After saving out the working defs I pasted the one you said was formatted correctly and fixed the missing ". Saved it and tried to load it. Syntax error.

WTF? On the plus side we have working defs. On the minus side I'm still unable to see what's wrong.

Afraid I can't offer any more help on what might have gone wrong as far as Risen 3D is concerned. After I fixed the missing " I tried loading that "file" in Doomsday and it was able to parse it just fine.

Does Doomsday support slopes, 3D Lines/floors/water dynamics, ambient sounds, that sort of thing?

Not presently, no. Expanding map editing features is something that we've not really pursued. We plan to begin looking at this stuff soon, though, once Doomsday version 2.0 has been released.

It's such an elegant engine.

Thanks. This is one aspect we take quite a bit of pride in :)

DaniJ said:

Afraid I can't offer any more help on what might have gone wrong as far as Risen 3D is concerned. After I fixed the missing " I tried loading that "file" in Doomsday and it was able to parse it just fine.

Not presently, no. Expanding map editing features is something that we've not really pursued. We plan to begin looking at this stuff soon, though, once Doomsday version 2.0 has been released.

Thanks. This is one aspect we take quite a bit of pride in :)

If these expanded features are easy to convert to, you can bet we'll be looking at it. I'll be following the development, for damn sure.

Anyway, other than capitalization I have no idea what's different. We have working defs now, so that's what's important.

Thanks to everyone that helped. You guys rock!

Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

I'm just the builder here, the architect of the levels. I can do SOME coding, but what I know about the intricacies of it, would fit in a thimble with room for a fat thumb. When I started getting those syntax errors that was keeping me from loading and testing my wad, and then couldn't figure out why...

Let's just say I am hugely appreciative of your guys' help.

Daryn here is my faithful sidekick and all around awesome dude. He helps me with the coding as much as he can, but on this one, he was pretty stumped too.

Either way, it looks like the wad's back off the ground. I'm just glad you guys are here. I am pretty sure we're going to eventually need your help again.

;-)