Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pedro VC

Your favorite Blood levels?

Today I finished Blood for the 3rd or 4th time, but the first time with all the secret levels and super secrets found. The thread title is self-explanatory.
My favorites are Phantom Express, Dark Carnival, Hallowed Ground, Overlooked Hotel, The Haunting, The Siege, The Sick Ward,The Ganglion Depths and maybe Crystal Lake.

All of Cryptic Passage, and the more creepy levels like the Hospital and Crystal lake. Oh, and the mall of the dead.

Phantom Express and Dark Carnival, of course.

P.S. Great fucking game! I want remake so bad!

I only really remember the train and the one that references The Shining with the frozen guy in the maze, off the top of my head.

Everyone says the train level and I disagree. The level that's basically a WW2 bombing is great, along with the hospital and the mall one. Any underwater level filled with those fucking fish demons I hate though.

Best SP/coop

E1M4 - A memorable classic with lots of gimmicky areas and good gameplay. Shake it baby!
E1M6 - I like the progression, secrets and the last room battle.
E2M5 - The most atmospheric level in the game. My favorite.
E2M7 - A climatic linear level before the boss. It gets better the more you progress.
E4M3 - I like the opening at the beginning where you emerge from the broken water tower and see the small courtyard and the shed. The actual level looks rather basic but the cliff part is cool.
E4M4 - Good gameplay and atmosphere.
E4M9 - Intense and fun.
CP04 - A big level with interesting areas.
CP10 - Traveling by the boat of death and exploring a charred house. Could it get any better?
CP07 - I like the platforming and the magical atmosphere of this mountain setting.
E6M5 - Good gameplay and setting.

My favorite episode is 2. Had a good time experiencing the levels on my first playthrough. Always thought episode 3 was the weakest and most overrated. To me its only memorable levels were the first two and the dam area in E3M6.

Bloodbath

E1M1 - A classic 1on1 level. Who wouldn't like it?
E2M9 - Fun teams map. The area controlling in this linear design makes you think.
BB2 - Good teams map. Multiple strategies and secrets.
E6M1 - Compact map. Intense battles on the roof.
E6M4 - Probably the best bb map in the game. Fun times.
E6M5 - A large level but becomes intense and dynamic with 5+ players.

SavageCorona said:

The level that's basically a WW2 bombing is great.

That would be E3M2: The Siege, and it's a WW1 bombing.

Cryptic Passage had some great levels too, like the Opera House, Library and the one in the Steamboat. Can't remember much though, I'll start playing again soon.

Pretty much everything you guys have said, I agree with. Honestly, I love Blood's layouts, I think moreso than any other 2.5D game, even Doom. Blood has a couple of whatever maps, but most of them are fun and many of them are outstanding. It's one of the most atmospheric shooters I've ever played, and with Doom, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein all having been giving reboots, I don't see why Blood couldn't be next. Blake Stone and Redneck Rampage would be cool, too.

The Blood rights have been lost to time and general legal confusion. Like the fact 3D Realms sold it to Monolith to finish off the game while they work on Shadow Warrior and then they gave the rights to Atari for some reason so they published Blood 2 and now they're just lost. This is why there has been no official source port for Blood since nobody has the source code any more and reverse engineering takes a while. Basically wait for Atari to tell Monolith to make another Blood game since Interceptor, Apogee, Devolver or anyone else like that won't be able to come to its rescue.

Yeah it's a damn shame. Especially since the second game sucked ice. Any way, I think blood should be talked about more often. It's kinda under appreciated or unnoticed in my opinion.

The second game wasn't a completely dreadful game. It gave me some kind of weird Daikatana Quake 2 vibe oddly enough. But yeah compared to the first one it sucks balls and it's a fucking nightmare getting it to work on modern machines. At least Caleb's nightmare episode was actually good and a nice return to old format. Too bad it's only 30 minutes long though.

Blood has an incredibly unique weapon set and its enemies are as diverse as Doom's. It deserves a reboot.

I think the enemies are even more diverse than Doom's, and a lot more fun to fight. Doom has a lot of variants on the Imp, whether it be steroidal Imp aka. Hell Knight/Baron, flying steroidal Imp aka. Cacodemon, annoying ass version of flying steroidal Imp aka. Pain Elemental (Alright that one is pretty unique), while Blood has very few enemies that are similar to each other. Besides the obvious cultists (even then, shotgun cultist fills a different role to fanatic cultist in the same way shotgun guy and chaingun guy fill slightly different roles in Doom), I can't think of two enemies that can fulfill the exact same role in the same way.

Not only that but a dark gothic theme mixed with early 20th century wild west/beginning of WW1 era is very unique and I struggle to think of another game that pulls off the same mix of themes.

I never completely played through Blood back in the day... Is there a modern engine port for the game?

Sadly there isn't, and Jace Hall tried to get Atari's permission to use the source code to develop a port but he was declined to.

Eh I don't really know if I meant Quake 2. I guess the graphical fidelity looks pretty similar. I'm probably thinking of some obscure PS1 game that looks similar.

Tarnsman said:

100%. I prefer to have all of my blood.

Even if you saw the sexiest vampire chick who wanted to suck some of your blood?

nxGangrel said:

Even if you saw the sexiest vampire chick who wanted to suck some of your blood?

I'd be willing to go to 95%. But my favorite blood level is 100%.

Avoozl said:

Sadly there isn't, and Jace Hall tried to get Atari's permission to use the source code to develop a port but he was declined to.

That's a shame.

I hate how imperfect DOSBox is while running Blood, sure I can ignore the issues but they're still there.

I really wish Atari wasn't so stingy by not allowing a source port to be made to run it seeing as it's still being sold, it's an old game for Christ's sake and needs to be able to run better. They never will get anything for the source codes.

I noticed when setting up DarkXL there was an option for Blood but greyed out. Maybe they're hinting that it's a possibility or it was there before Atari said you're not allowed to?