Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Have there ever been any speed mapping / mapping competitions for prizes?

There has to have been one over two decades. How do they usually fair? If they have been done how is voting for the best handled? Is it on the forum where people can publicly post who they vote for and people tally them or is it a blunt poll where people can vote anonymously? Is it chaos with cheating when it comes to votes? Have the prizes arrived to the winners or does the contest holder disappear?

I remember only the recent one by Buckshot. Which reminds me... Doomkid, did you ever receive your prize?

geo said:

Is it on the forum where people can publicly post who they vote for and people tally them or is it a blunt poll where people can vote anonymously? Is it chaos with cheating when it comes to votes?

This is why the map authors should remain anonymous during the voting stage (and people voting for maps, not for people), like Russian Doomers do it in their speedmapping contests like this one.

scifista42 said:

I remember only the recent one by Buckshot. Which reminds me... Doomkid, did you ever receive your prize?
This is why the map authors should remain anonymous during the voting stage (and people voting for maps, not for people), like Russian Doomers do it in their speedmapping contests like this one.

A good idea. Thanks.

Before that Tormentor667 had a mapping contest where you had to use the general layout of E1M7 to make a map of your own. A neat idea, but a bit restricting for my taste considering my mapping style.

It might sound silly, but I'm concerned with someone telling their friends vote for #2 because its me! Stuff like that, but someone would tattle.

There doesn't need to be a public vote. The guy providing the prize could judge against predefined criteria or could appoint a trusted panel to judge.

Anonymity doesn't work too well tho. Usually I'm able to identify most of the authors in a matter of a few seconds. It is incredibly difficult to avoid your own typical mapping traits because you aren't really aware of them. You repeat same design ideas subconsciously all the time. Well, I guess it's a lot easier to identify friends from your small local community than it would be on Doomworld.