Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

Suppose 1994TU-2 showed up on /idgames tomorrow...

Which of these themes is your favorite?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these themes is your favorite?

• 201X Tune-down
    • Doom the Way Others Did
    • Classic Megawad
    • Ye Olde Partial Conversion

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! This thread is purely for data gathering, so don't get your hopes up.

So let's say that 1994TU-2 showed up on /idgames tomorrow. Which of the following themes would you find most enticing upon cracking it open?

1. 201X Tune-down - Taking newer maps (with author permission!) and turning back the clock on them.
  2. Doom the Way Others Did - A tribute to notable, and infamous, mappers between the years of 94 to 99.
  3. Classic Megawad - A "classic styled" megawad, like Icarus, Memento Mori, Requiem etc.
  4. Ye Olde Partial Conversion - A partial conversion in the style of Strain, Obituary, Osiris, All Hell is Breaking Loose etc.
The reason I'm asking this is because I've been kicking around ideas for a sequel to 1994TU, but have never been able to commit to any of them. The hope here is that by having the community decide, I can finally get the ball rolling. This will also help with gathering resources depending on what the community decides. Odds are good this project will still be Boom limit-removing like 1994TU, since the goal is to honor the spirit, but not always the letter, of classic wads.

I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks, so the poll will only run for a limited time! However, I will still count votes cast in the thread if there's enough of them, or if the Doomworld forums shutdown before the poll is over.

As the warning at the top of this thread states, this is not an official announcement, and I can't guarantee anything will come of it.

Yes, 4 is my winner. IMO, the other 3 options have almost guaranteed generic-ness, whereas PCs tend to be unique at least in something, or downright exciting.

Either 1 or 4. I think taking a recent map and turning it into a 90's-feeling thing would be really cool, and I do enjoy Strain.

Maybe combine the two? Just an idea, heh.

Doom the way Others Did.

I'd love to see some people try their hand at imitating Malcom Sailor, Yontan Donner, the Casalis (ok, that's already been done like 5 times now, but still...) or Adam Windsor.

Partial conversion. Imo it allows to create a more original product among the options.

Cynical said:

Doom the way Others Did.

I'd love to see some people try their hand at imitating Malcom Sailor, Yontan Donner, the Casalis (ok, that's already been done like 5 times now, but still...) or Adam Windsor.

If I weren't managing a project right now, id collaborate with you on that, as long as it stays small scale. None of this "oh of we do this mapper, we have to that one, and that one too!" *plans 32 maps in 5 minutes, takes 3 years to make*

Cynical said:

Doom the way Others Did.

I'm not sure anyone needs to imitate me, but this is the idea I would find most interesting.

On the other end of the scale, a Partial Conversion would be an instant unsell. I play Doom to play Doom.

Capellan said:

I play Doom to play Doom.

Partial conversion can be made to provide the same kinds of fun that Doom provides, and enhance them with care. It's not an equivalent of changing things for the sake of changing the "essence" of Doom.

scifista42 said:

Partial conversion can be made to provide the same kinds of fun that Doom provides, and enhance them with care. It's not an equivalent of changing things for the sake of changing the "essence" of Doom.

My experience of their success rate gives me no confidence in them. You're free to feel otherwise.

I just don't think that "low success rate" of various PCs over time makes a hypothetical well-made new one "an instant unsell". Success of a particular piece of art work should depend on its execution more than on expectations. Also, I think that most of bad PCs sucked for other reasons than simply being PCs, mainly for poor visuals and gameplay.

scifista42 said:

I just don't think that "low success rate" of various PCs over time makes a hypothetical well-made new one "an instant unsell".

Not for you. But I am not speaking for you, I am speaking for me. And for me, it's an instant unsell. No interest. Zero, zilch, nada.

I've always wanted to see a tune-down :P. I'd like to see some beautiful well-praised maps stripped of all detail and made to look like the typical wads you'd find on shareware discs

3 would be at the top of the list for me and my vote), followed by 1 and then 2.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Capellan when it comes to partial conversions: I play Doom to play Doom. Said partial conversion either has to have something really going for it to have me give it a shot, have a patch so that I can "play Doom" on it, or just go all out and make it a full-blown TC. :I

I'm for a partial conversion, megawad or a 201X tune down... That would be pretty damn funny. Imagine Greenwar2 layouts with Greenwar1 texturing.

Doomkid said:

That would be pretty damn funny. Imagine Greenwar2 layouts with Greenwar1 texturing.

I'm currently imagining BTSX maps turned into Memento Mori-ish maps.

Been watching this poll over the last day, and I'm surprised by how many votes it's gotten in such a short time! I'm also surprised by how popular the Partial Conversion option has been, as I figured that would be the least popular one. :p

I've been pretty torn between the two most popular options, especially as they've pinged ponged back and forth. While Doom the Way Others Did seems more in line with 1994TU's goals, I can't think of the last time someone seriously tried making a PC or TC in the old way. I mean, there was Lunatic, but that was four years ago! Most PCs these days are gameplay mods or minor epics for ZDoom, and I'd love to see something new that can be run in all sourceports.

Even if any one of these options doesn't win, there's no reason they can't be spun off into a smaller project or taken up by someone else. Someone mentioned combining a couple of them, and I've considered doing that, particularly for the Classic Megawad and Doom the Way Others Did options. Many older megawads featured the talents of superstar mappers of the day, something which could be emulated. Imagine a Memento Mori 3 or Requiem 2, with authors attempting to recreate the feel of them while also creating something new!

Another option is splitting the difference between the two most popular options and creating smaller megawads from them, say 15-17 levels each. That options seems like a good fit for a PC, since many of them feature no more than 5-10 levels on average.

Whatever the case, I have a lot to think about it. :p

Edit:
I haven't forgotten about the Tune-down, BTW, just not sure how to handle it if it wins!

Capellan said:

I'm not sure anyone needs to imitate me

All these years later, and Demonfear remains compelling.

Memfis said:

registered just to vote, right...

And even vote an option that's not among the ones proposed by OP. :)

Doom the way Joe-ilya did? Nah...

How about Doom the way the Doomworld community did? That would be interesting.