Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupboard

Icon of Sin's 3rd Nostril

I've wondered for years why the Icon of Sin had a 3rd nostril.

I've decided the IoS has a 3rd nostril to better regulate its temperature, after all it is merged with a giant industrial computer. And we don't even see how many internal fans are whirring in there. Yes, a demoncomputer would have to run very very hot so a 3rd nostril allows extra airflow for respiration, subsequently allowing temperature regulation. It may even use a liquidized cooling system, as the boss room seems to indicate.

I wish there was a map where I could crawl inside the skull of an IoS. And feel like I was actually inside a demoncomputer. Most of the time it is a shoot to kill kind of monster. I think it is the best enemy because they never fully fleshed him out, he leaves so much to the imagination, and he's provided us with so many great lengths of brown textures and red cables in the ZZZFACE.

TheCupboard said:

I wish there was a map where I could crawl inside the skull of an IoS.

There is, but you don't want to play it.

And I don't remember the texturing, I think it was just fleshy/weird.

Shai'tan's Luck has you jumping into an Icon's mouth, but then you just fight another Icon in it.

Obsidian said:

Shai'tan's Luck has you jumping into an Icon's mouth, but then you just fight another Icon in it.

Icon of Xenomorph, with a smaller icon of sin on its prehensile tongue.

His 3rd nostril is one of the factors that make him look less like an oversized animal skull and more like an idiosyncratic badass supreme demon. IMO, the artist was probably thinking along these lines when designing him.

As for a map where you walk into his skull, I thought the boss map (06 or 07) in UAC Ultra 2 did just that in the end. Also, D2INO MAP30 leads you through his mouth at the beginning and then the actual map takes place in a central arena with 7 side areas representing 7 deadly sins, but as the map is constructed, it seems more symbolic/random than plausible as the actual content of IOS's skull.

Well, I never noticed. Double checked and wow, there is in fact a third nostril!

I feel like the DooM engine isn't that great at organic structures like that. Maybe Zdoom and sloped floors can do it though.

I always thought that's just how a nose was supposed to be, but upon looking up goat and cow skulls, that is indeed a third nostril. Heh.

You just made me realize that the abbreviation of "Icon of Sin" is IOS...

Coincidence? I don't think so. Always new Apple was the incarnation of the devil.

tomatoKetchup said:

Coincidence? I don't think so. Always knew Apple was the incarnation of the devil.

Next megawad: Doomguy Vs. Steve Jobs Incarnate - The Return of the IOS

RUSH said:

Next megawad: Doomguy Vs. Steve Jobs Incarnate - The Return of the IOS

They should make a comic series as well titled, "Doomguy vs Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates vs the Government" And each issue will have a famous guest star that dies. First issue will feature Donald Trump getting run over by Bill Gate's Hi tech Gate Mobile.

Funny, I never thought of the IoS as a computer, but a giant Demon Super Computer kind of fits the overall theme of the game.

I always pictured the IoS being a building-sized demon, enhanced with robot parts. He/She/It did something SO bad that being in hell wasn't punishment enough. It's punishment was being stuck in a wall for all eternity (or at least till Doomguy kills him).

TheCupboard said:

I've wondered for years why the Icon of Sin had a 3rd nostril.

Well, we've officially run out of good topics to ponder about a 22-year-old game. Forum closed.

How about when we were talking about what Doomguy eats and drinks? I dunno if we ever got a conclusive answer on what's in those blue bottles..

Doomkid said:

How about when we were talking about what Doomguy eats and drinks? I dunno if we ever got a conclusive answer on what's in those blue bottles..

We never get conclusive answers to anything non-canon with official info, but we have our own imagination!

That link is supremely on-point Sci-Fista. I appreciate you not mentioning an Ilya link to health bonuses to veer us truly off topic with subsequent drama.

After all, how much rage can an IoS maintain after a while? Does the IoS even have a mechanism of procreation? I think not. Which tends to support my theory that it's sexual tension is released through the spawn cubes. I'm going with that as my final answer.

TheCupboard said:

After all, how much rage can an IoS maintain after a while? Does the IoS even have a mechanism of procraetion? I think not. Which tends to support my theory that it's sexual tension is released through the spawn cubes. I'm going with that as my final answer.

Sexual tension directly creating demons, that's a nice idea. Remind sme of my other game.

Though I know that "Icons of Sin" are just one of many organs of the hell overlord, which also include every flesh-based thing in hell. And I'm sure they has all sorts of organs besides the ones seen in the game, even if they doesn't procraete.

Obsidian said:

Iconception.