Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panteruh

Laser monster?

Just curious on what if any speculation there is for the monster is at 3:33 of the demo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljpBwguIqos

Looks like a larger, mutatedy former human with a cybernetic laser arm? Haven't seen that variety in any other Doom game unless I'm severely mis-remembering. Any thoughts on what this guy is?

This also brings up the big guys shooting red pulse bursts towards the beginning of the video. At first I thought they were "chaingunners" but then realized they were shooting rounds of red pulse ammunition...which also appeared to be coming from something attached to the arm rather than holding it.

I'm hoping they have "real" chaingunners... or at least a more "human" looking former human holding the actual weapon.. maybe a backpack as well for the ammo.

Gosh...rewatching that whole thing... I think it will be very cool. I'm pretty much pleased.

But the end... that Cyberdemon... that's the only thing unsatisfying. There's just something lame about it.

They changed the zombie-like possessed humans into demonic mutants with all sorts of twisted changes to their anatomy. Some become horribly disfigured like those cyclopean freaks, some seem to be fused with weapon technology. The cybernetic implants are realised in a similar way as for some of the demons (Mancubus or Cyberdemon for example), but it looks more like an accident.

Story maybe could go like this: soldier armed with a laser gun enters hell dimension through portal, then returns as twisted cyborg creature.

Only thing they have to take care of is that they don't look like Strogg. I love Strogg, but this is Doom, not Quake2/4.

Yea, I'm okay with them having some of the baddies as some sort of fused anomaly, but I do certainly want to see some "classic" demonized/possessed literal former humans in the vain of the originals that look more like messed up demonic people rather than simply "mutated genetic freaks"

The former humans and sergeants, chaingunners, actual people that are no longer people... if that makes sense.

I was definitely reminded of Grunts from Quake 4 heh...

The player also puts on some kind of red pulse thing onto the shotgun. Not sure what that's really about but I'm guessing it's something similar.

potnop said:

I was definitely reminded of Grunts from Quake 4 heh...

The player also puts on some kind of red pulse thing onto the shotgun. Not sure what that's really about but I'm guessing it's something similar.

It's a burst fire attachment. Player uses it a couple times allowing the shottie to fire 3 rounds in succession.

As for the laser monster, probably just another variety of former human. Probably warped from teleportation tech and/or hell influence. Should be interesting to see what kinda nasties get thrown our way as a result.

Xaero_Four said:

It's a burst fire attachment. Player uses it a couple times allowing the shottie to fire 3 rounds in succession.

As for the laser monster, probably just another variety of former human. Probably warped from teleportation tech and/or hell influence. Should be interesting to see what kinda nasties get thrown our way as a result.

Elite former humans with Unmakers? That would be REALLY epic.

The lazer dude has an interesting attack pattern, it'll be fun double jumping over that attack while running from a pinky for example... maybe kite enemies into the crossfire for awesome in-fighting set-ups?!

I really love the idea of enemies having different attack techniques depending on enemy type. Having enemies behave in a particular way is pretty much why Doom and Quake played the way they did. It can also be a strong tool in level design, just by enemy count and placement, which is way more fun than the industry standard of just making enemies bullet sponges and making the player take more damage. Always seemed lazy to me, are rarely ever made a game any more fun.

Yeah, it'll definitely be interesting to be in a room full of a mix of different enemies and constantly be on your toes.

I'm mildly concerned with the AI of the humans. They sorta just stand there and shoot continuously. Even Doom 1's humans didn't do that.

They are either chaingunners or enslaved strogg. There is also a demon type that looks similar that we briefly see in parts of the hell play through. Not sure if they are related.

GoatLord said:

I'm mildly concerned with the AI of the humans. They sorta just stand there and shoot continuously. Even Doom 1's humans didn't do that.

They did when you set them to -Fast monsters.

Panteruh said:

Gosh...rewatching that whole thing... I think it will be very cool. I'm pretty much pleased.

But the end... that Cyberdemon... that's the only thing unsatisfying. There's just something lame about it.

yeah i cant wait either.

the cyberdemon kinda looks like a cartoon character with its sorta goofy features and wagging jaw. it looks like a good zelda monster minus the tech. the revenants skull looks a little cartoony also in certain shots.

i would prefer for the enemies to appear as menacing as possible. i want them to be vile raging beasts full of hate.

Nineball said:

I just hope these are not replacements for arachnotrons.

i want to see those guys too. im sure the uac would be trying to wire brains into autonomous armed walking drones. human brains that can be posessed by devils.

The only thing I don't like 100% about the cyberdemon are his horns. I think they should look more traditional like the other cyberdemons. They kind of resemble moose antlers.

But that last part of the video where he appears and the player whips out the BFG could never be brought down by the cyberdemons appearance. That part was epic.

rampancy said:

i would prefer for the enemies to appear as menacing as possible. i want them to be vile raging beasts full of hate.

You pretty much summed it up. Doom's original monsters, however silly looking, appear menacing and pissed. Neo-Doom's enemy roster I would say is pretty much following suit, by the cyberdemon looks like he's just mildly annoyed.

VGames said:

The only thing I don't like 100% about the cyberdemon are his horns. I think they should look more traditional like the other cyberdemons. They kind of resemble moose antlers.

Damn straight!

SavageCorona said:

He looks like that cheap fucker reskin guard they used in Quake 2 The Reckoning.

How hilarious would it be if they actually just reskinned and used a monster from some old id game? Made me chuckle.

This!

Krispy said:

How hilarious would it be if they actually just reskinned and used a monster from some old id game? Made me chuckle.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had a pinpoint accurate laser that constantly damages you and he doesn't stop fucking shooting you like they do in The Reckoning. Also the Quake 2 expansions weren't made by id. The Reckoning specifically was made by Xatrix, which is why they have these really stupid overpowered monsters that use the same models but have a slightly different paintjob and a major stat buff.