Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kelliegator

Multiplayer models

I feel a bit silly for making this thread when QuakeCon is only a week away and we'll probably know more then but I was kinda itching to discuss this so, well, here we go.

From the footage that I've analyzed it looks like you're playing as a different kind of soldier/marine in multiplayer than singleplayer when you make some comparisons, which raises some questions about the story but my concerns are mainly about multiplayer here. We haven't gotten a good look at the Doomguy's armor but in the start of the E3 footage you see the arms and helmet quite clearly:

Pretty thick and dare I say, almost bulky and primitive looking. But in the multiplayer mode the guys you play as look quite different if you examine closely, I took some screenshots of them, too.

Here, you see a very different helmet... I think. The lighting and fadeout effects make it a bit hard to tell but I'm 99% sure. Also, it generally looks more sleek, agile and "modern".

And here's a closer look at the arms.

And here are the arms again in first person.

So what does this mean? You're clearly playing as a different kind of "marine" or at least with other armors in multiplayer so the question is, why? Are these enemies of the Doomguy brand of marines? Is the Doomguy using more primitive gear in comparison to the more sleek alternative we see the others wear? Or is there something else we don't know story wise? I think this is what some of the soldiers looked like before they were zombified, like the laser arm monsters. Similar clothing, but more intact.

But my big question is; do you get to choose what you player looks like? Will there be customization? Because I gotta say, I don't like the multiplayer guys much at all. Multiplayer itself looks good but I prefer the bulkier look of the Doomguy, I can't quite put my finger on it but he looks more... badass. And I hope you'll get to play that armor in multiplayer.

Now let's see if this thread gets redundant next weekend or not. :V

idk if this is the "did anyone else notice..." thread, but there was a megahealth type powerup in the SP hell level that the player never picks up but there's a blue orb just hovering up top somewhere

wheresthebeef said:

Simple: different character models to choose from for multiplayer.

But is that really the case? In the multiplayer trailer all armors more or less looked the same aside from color, probably because of team modes like CTF.

VGames said:

I wish you could see his face in the helmet visor.

I can see the nostalgia factor but it sounds more like it'll be distracting, IMO.

kelliegator said:

I can see the nostalgia factor but it sounds more like it'll be distracting, IMO.

I didn't mean all the time. That would be dumb. I just meant when he was looking at his helmet before he put it on. It would be a one time thing at the very beginning of the game and maybe one last time at the very end of the game.

The Doomguy's gear certainly looks much better in the single player part. Maybe they had reduced fidelity for multiplayer armor to boost performance? Or maybe it's to discern between teams more easily. Or maybe you can just choose between a variety of looks. So if you like looking less badass and more fragile, you can pick the weak-looking armour instead of the standard awesome Doomguy armour.

kelliegator said:

But is that really the case? In the multiplayer trailer all armors more or less looked the same aside from color, probably because of team modes like CTF.

They could only be using one model for multiplayer right now because its still a long ways off. To be completely honest, I hope they don't spend time on models besides color, because they all look rather generic.

In Quake 3/Live, aren't all of your opponents the same generic enemy model, while you appear unique on your own screen? Couldn't this explain the OP's observations for Doom?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

In Quake 3/Live, aren't all of your opponents the same generic enemy model, while you appear unique on your own screen? Couldn't this explain the OP's observations for Doom?

This is just an option in Quake Live (force model). By default you can see all the different player models in-game.

Doom 3 had all sorts of marine armors and guard armors too.

I'm amazed they go through all this effort making variations on this stuff when they could've easily gotten away with 1 common model.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

It was called force player models, and it would make every player have the same model as you. It had two benefits; less taxing on your hardware as its only displaying one model (with different textures for team games) and if you chose a big model, like TankJR, they are easier to spot and gives you that little bit of extra reaction time.
The drawback is that you appear as a bigass Tank to everyone else and nowadays even a calculator should run Quake3 at 60+ FPS

But why would everyone be the singleplayer Doomguy in multiplayer? Even Duke Nukem Forever let you customize Duke a bit so you stand out among the rest.

You were basically the same model as the main character in Doom 3 except with a helmet and different color; it's not something that matters too much in Doom because it wasn't ever important. Quake 3 went overboard with ridiculous characters because it was an Arena focused game, for Doom, its always about singleplayer first and deathmatch second.
If they have a huge array of models and/or customization in the final version of newDoom, then awsesome. If not, I'm still totally fine, because IMO its not what Doom is about.

Current design feels very ordinary. Doomguy must be more brutal and big. IMHO. Like Gears Of War, for example.

singleplayer first and deathmatch second

...after more than 20 years since Doom 2 release. id Software was a Mecca of multiplayer fun for years and it starts from Doom 2. It's more about traditions of id Software than tons of shitty WADs with very few really good ones. Sorry. Doom can't reach REAL popularity without GOOD copetitive multiplayer.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Possible, I just never expected that a modern game would show off the force model option but to be fair the new Doom has no reloading, something else I would never have expected in a modern FPS. So it's possible.

I just hope for some mild customization or at least to see the singleplayer armor in multiplayer.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

In Quake 3/Live, aren't all of your opponents the same generic enemy model, while you appear unique on your own screen?

Not if you turn off the option that forces the same enemy model.

NoisM said:

...after more than 20 years since Doom 2 release. id Software was a Mecca of multiplayer fun for years and it starts from Doom 2. It's more about traditions of id Software than tons of shitty WADs with very few really good ones. Sorry. Doom can't reach REAL popularity without GOOD copetitive multiplayer.

I don't get it, are you implying newDoom won't be popular because they aren't going to focus on multiplayer models?

wheresthebeef, it's about this quote:

for Doom, its always about singleplayer first and deathmatch second.

Doom won't be popular if multiplayer will be not so good.

I don't get it, are you implying newDoom won't be popular because they aren't going to focus on multiplayer models?

Models of characters isn't very important thing, but it has influence on overall impressions, for sure, as everything in this game. I'm not glad too see doomguy looks like bad copy of Master Chief.

NoisM said:

wheresthebeef, it's about this quote:

Doom won't be popular if multiplayer will be not so good.

Models of characters isn't very important thing, but it has influence on overall impressions, for sure, as everything in this game. I'm not glad too see doomguy looks like bad copy of Master Chief.

It's kinda like design inbreeding. Original Doom had a green, generic-looking space marine, in Halo you play as a green, generic looking space machine and in Doom 4 you play as a green, generic-looking space marine.

Well, okay, original Doom wasn't that unoriginal, what with the T-shirt look. I dunno if I would've wanted to see that in the new Doom or not. The original design is easier to recognize but also a bit dumb, having your arms exposed on mars would probably give you serious radiation poisoning. :P

But then again, this is a FPS with no reloading so I guess realism isn't a priority in the developer's minds.

I personally like the new look, though.