Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

So how much did you pay for doom when you first got it?

Which version was it?
Did you pay for the shareware?
Have you re-bought it since then?
What about other versions of the game on consoles or other OS's ect?

When I first saw anything Doom related for sale it was from a place called "Silly Sollie's" which I guess what the Americans would call a dollar store in Mt. Isa. It was the shareware version sold for about $5.00 in the early 90's. That was the annoying thing about that town: finding full video games for sale anywhere was really difficult and my parents absolutely would not order anything for any reason. The first doom I ever paid for was Doom II in 1997 off a store shelf for $20.00. I still have the box in my parents attic. The first doom I ever owned was The Ultimate Doom when I traded a bunch of demo CDs with a friend for it.

I have since brought Doom and Final Doom for the PSX and Doom 64, and the first doom for the Game Boy advanced, and have re-bought all the PC versions.

I think I paid about 20 or so bucks for a copy over Id Software's website, along with Doom95 to run it in: those were some fucking dark times, heh. Ultimate Doom and Final Doom were presents from GreyGhost over Steam, which I'm still very thankful for. I am slightly in a rut as to how I get the Master Levels by themselves though. :P

Doom II (Doom95) for $19.95 in 1998 from Dick Smith Electronics. I still have the sale docket, on which they were offering free Internet access for a month if I spent $50 or more, which is less than I'm currently paying. :(

I've since purchased enough copies for a small LAN party or two, along with most of the console and OS ports.

@Obsidian - try eBay for the Master Levels. There's usually a few copies around, though prices can vary a lot.

I bought Doom finally somewhere in 2010, I think. It was UDM+D2+TFD, with Doom 3 preview (I never ran it, tho). And I don’t remember the price but it was second hand. I’m guessing that price went somewhere between 20 and 50 zł (for reference: 1 US dollar is around 3.5 złs).

I don't remember the prices but I have bought it a number of times. The first time was when I sent off for the full version after getting the SW episode via a friend downloading it in Dec '93. It arrived in a thin, flimsy-ish box with 3.5" floppies on the inside. It was either version 1.1 or 1.2.

I bought Doom2 the first time from a shop in my local high street. Again, this was on floppies. One more than Doom!!!!!11111one Version 1.666

I also bought a boxed Ultimate Doom, an Anthology, a Collectors Edition and the various other Doom related games (final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Deathkings, Strife).

I actually have a few more copies of both Doom and Doom2 CDs kicking around that I bought or acquired *somehow* (e.g. buying a bunch of games in bulk second hand that happened to have Doom with them). I bought some of the other games multiple times too. Don't really know how but the bulk games thing would account for some of them.

2000 drachmas to my friendly neighborhood "pirate" in late 1994. It was the 4-floppy Registered v1.1 version (I still have those floppies).

Back then that would amount to about $14 contemporary. Well, that was mid-90s Greece for you. It wasn't so much a problem of money, rather than the near-impossibility for a teenager to order (and pay) for something in currency straight from the USA, and obtain it in a reasonable amount of time. I would like to know if anyone had actually ordered registered Doom overseas directly from the States. Would shareware vendors back then (including id) even consider overseas orders from small countries with funny names?

The Depths of Doom Trilogy in I think 1996. Cost 39.99+ tax and I eyed the box on the shelf of the store for many weeks until I had enough to buy it.

Krazov said:

It was UDM+D2+TFD, with Doom 3 preview (I never ran it, tho).

I recalled that I took a picture of it. It can be seen here.

It's funny how they considered the Master Levels pack as a third game, I guess that's marketing for you.

RocknRoll420 said:

The Depths of Doom Trilogy

Me too, though I can't say how much we paid. I was like 7-8 years old and before the euro.

A few francs (it was before the euros) for second hand Ultimate Doom and Doom II boxes.

Krazov said:

Whatever sells, man.

Ain't that the truth. (I may have posted pictures of this before).

Spoiler

Sorry for the crappy quality. My camera doesn't seem to want to play ball today.

That was a "shovelware" (if you can call a floppy that) disk containing add on levels gathered from online. The copyright date is 1994 and, given that there wasn't really an Internet as such, and modem speeds were so slow, buying one of these from my local store seemed like a reasonable option (they weren't particularly expensive). In fact, I bought two. The two boxes are identical but the contents are not. The disk in Volume 1 says it is 1 of 2 but I'm sure that there was only ever 1 disk. Volume 2 has 2 disks. Amusingly (and from memory) at least one of my own maps was one these disks. Yup, that's right. I payed to get a copy of my own level.

Hey, at least they gave a story to go with Doom, this time ;-)

Yeah, and I love how their description also adopts the Doom technology (light diminishing etc) as if their map pack was somehow responsible for that side of things (I guess all the maps could be set to 255 brightness, so the map editors not doing that did ensure that there would be light diminishing in the maps). I'm also pretty sure that the use of the id logo will not be authorised.

Nice storyline. After countless days "filled with tedium and paperwork", fighting off waves of demonic creatures would surely be a welcome change of pace. I have volume 3 of that series, another 40 levels on 2 disks.

Unfortunately for me there was no way to actually buy it since I had no internet during the time when I got it, I managed to get a copy of it and the other Doom's from a friend during a LAN party in 2007 where we played it together.

Enjay said:

Yup, that's right. I payed to get a copy of my own level.

Well, to me it happened to buy a magazine's special edition about retrocomputing and emulators, which used blatantly ripped off sections off Wikipedia, to which I had contributed (in English), and then someone translated them back into Greek. So I payed to read what I had written ;-)

Originally, $0. Nothing quite like borrowing a burned CD full of games and finding a folder labeled "Doom2"... :D

I've since bought (or been directly gifted) each game in some form or another, since (console versions aside), so I can probably lower these black sails now.

Haven't paid a dime. My dad got it for me when I was nine after he recommended Doom to me since I liked to play older games. I had an SNES (emulated) version of Doom 1, and I can't remember the version of Doom 2 but it was for PC and had no sounds beyond the music.

Xaser said:

Originally, $0. Nothing quite like borrowing a burned CD full of games and finding a folder labeled "Doom2"... :D

That's how I finally "upgraded" to Ultimate Doom, after having got Doom II in the same way I got Doom. Not surprisingly, ages after, I found out I had the infamous pirated v1.666 version. Heh.

However, I did buy Final Doom in late 1998, in the replay yellow box by GT interactive, for 29.990 ITL. I was so oldschool, that I finished it on the same 486 DX/50 I had used to complete all other versions of Doom.

My dad got ultimate doom in CD form ... a long time ago. I'd have to ask him. I bought doom2 from the id site for 20$ back in 2007/8 or so, before I knew it was on steam heheh. I think I got TNT/Plutonia as an idpack deal on steam a year or two later. That was before Rage.

my uncle brought it home so i initialy paid nothing, many years later i found doom2 95 in local 99 cent (actually 10 pesos) store, they had tons of copies, i bought one since i was stuck with a win98 computer all the way to 2006

also the version i had always played was doom 2, i only played doom 1 in late 2013

Much like Obsidian, I first bought Doom digitally for 19.99 ish from id Software's website. Came bundled with Doom 95 and honestly I thought it worked really well. I could never beat map 31 on TNT of course but I always liked how Doom 95 let you easily warp to any map in the game with that drop down select menu. Never played mods at that time though and I still don't own a physical copy of the game to this day. Source ports and the WAD files are all you need now.

The GT Interactive versions cost me roughly $50 each when I bought them from Staples.
The Lost Episodes of Doom was $14.99 at the time.
Most of the other shovelware was between $6 and $12

Strife was only $1.99 when I plucked it out of the bargain bin (need to finish that one come to think of it)

Hexen was $5.99 when I picked it up from a bargain bin.

Master Levels I think was full price ($50) and Final Doom was definitely full price.
Doom for the Playstation was $54 plus tax at the time.

i regret not purchasing Hell 2 Pay and Perdition's Gate when I saw the disks in the store but honestly I thought they were going to be more shovelware disks. Also regret not purchasing Heretic at the time.

In 1994 I paid $9.95AUD for Doom shareware on two floppies. When Ultimate Doom was released on cdrom in 1995 I paid $50 for it on the first day of release from a Harvey Norman store. I found Doom II in an opp shop (charity store) for about $2 sometime in the last decade, before that I used a friends a copy that he probably paid about $80 for at the beginning of 1995. I've also purchased Doom 64, Doom 3, Doom3 BFG for PS3 and an id Software anthology/collection deal from steam which gave me Plutonia, TNT, Heretic, Hexen and Master Levels.

JudgeDeadd said:

Bought it on Steam a month ago.
And so my conscience could finally rest.

ain't that the truth.