Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scaled

Compiling Strife VE Questions

Alright. I apologize for possible tone issues especially since I'm not smart on coding or compiling. Kaiser, quasar, and any others involved worked really hard and I don't want anyone to feel like I'm attacking. I'm just... Stuck...

That said: on the Linux side of things why is there no makefile? Either I'm back assward retarded or I can't get the code::block ide to install in debian and thought 'gee, just make/install. That worked for me in the past when i had to compile things. Except not now.

On windows. Why depend on Microsoft's ide? Was there some feature set it provided?

Lastly, and again this is because I am kinda code dense and generally just follow a walkthrough, I'm kinda derp on how your instructions go, so there's maybe something I'm not doing right.

Could someone give a ELI5 walkthrough on compiling a standalone client for non-ubuntu Linux systems?

For the record I have Ubuntu on my laptop, but at this stage I don't want to be limited to one branch of Linux and since I can get other doom engines on Debian or the like, I'd like to take the enhanced strife port with me OS hopping.

Basically as an experiment with SCons, I made Strive use that build system, if you have SCons installed you only type "scons" to build it. There's no differences in the engine, I had some plans for it but just haven't done it yet, so the only difference is the build system.

(I did it mainly out of spite for Code::Blocks as well.)

scaled said:

On windows. Why depend on Microsoft's ide? Was there some feature set it provided?

Simple answer: Because that's what 99% of Windows developers uses to build their binaries. The only problem I see is the extreme version dependence, which is why ZDoom offers the option to generate MSVC projects with CMake.

chungy said:

Basically as an experiment with SCons, I made Strive use that build system, if you have SCons installed you only type "scons" to build it. There's no differences in the engine, I had some plans for it but just haven't done it yet, so the only difference is the build system.

(I did it mainly out of spite for Code::Blocks as well.)

Hey how well does this work as opposed to the official source? I have no idea what i'm doing, hence asking instead of compiling.

scaled said:

Hey how well does this work as opposed to the official source? I have no idea what i'm doing, hence asking instead of compiling.

Steps below for debian jessie, with one big caveat: the libavcodec version in jessie is not good enough. You need either to use the packages from stretch (based on ffmpeg source rather than libav) or you need to set up deb-multimedia.org and install the packages after that (from there). The latter involves adding a line to your sources.list and importing the archive key. Once that's resolved:

apt-get install -y gcc git libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev \
    libsdl1.2-dev libpng12-dev libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev \
    libswscale-dev libavutil-dev scons
git clone https://github.com/chungy/strive.git
cd strive
scons
When done, you will have a binary './strive' sitting in the directory.

I so wouldn't blame anybody for making the video playback optionally compiled :P Ask Kaiser, that stuff was a huge PITA.

Quasar said:

I so wouldn't blame anybody for making the video playback optionally compiled :P Ask Kaiser, that stuff was a huge PITA.

I've no doubt you are right :) but this particular snafu on Debian is because they moved the ffmpeg packages to be of a fork of ffmpeg a while ago, and the fork didn't keep up with the main project's momentum. They're now switching back. http://lwn.net/Articles/650816/