Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skepticist

Rebirth demos [-complevel 2]

Kotzugi said:

Here it is. It occurs at around 1:37.

That's a pretty common blockmap bug, though it's often not as noticeable. There's a somewhat technical explanation here, but the simple explanation is that when shooting at monsters in certain directions with hitscan weapons, your shot might go through the monster completely. The best way to avoid this is to shoot in non-orthogonal directions, as the bug happens less if you shoot diagonally. In this demo, if you had changed position and direction, then your shot would hit the PE.

Ah, I've seen that article. I shoot through things a lot, but this was a pretty unusual example in my experience. Cheers 4shock

Nice to see your improvements 4shockblast (for myself as well, such as the better mancubus vantage point at the beginning which makes sense to me). I'd be happy if you could reply to some comments/questions.

1. I'm wondering why, in the UV-Fast, you blow up the barrels in the beginning, but not in the UV-Max, where you only blow them up to damage the pinkies and spectres when going back down.
2. I'm not convinced that when you go back down to the sewer area, backtracking to blow up the second series of barrels behind the door was efficient. You only killed a single pinky.
3. You took an alternative route back up from the sewers in the UV-Max but not in the UV-Fast. Wondering why. Probably it makes very little difference though.
4. Same goes for the small little hidden door, which I never noticed, at the blue key area. You use it to start moving towards the exit in the UV-Max while the arachnotrons spawn in, but not in -fast. Was it too hard with -fast to not get killed in that area?
5. I also have a "fail demo" where I kill the shotgunners and chaingunner with a single SSG. :) (however I failed much quicker than you did)

Cheers and gj

Kotzugi said:

Nice to see your improvements 4shockblast (for myself as well, such as the better mancubus vantage point at the beginning which makes sense to me). I'd be happy if you could reply to some comments/questions.

1. I'm wondering why, in the UV-Fast, you blow up the barrels in the beginning, but not in the UV-Max, where you only blow them up to damage the pinkies and spectres when going back down.
2. I'm not convinced that when you go back down to the sewer area, backtracking to blow up the second series of barrels behind the door was efficient. You only killed a single pinky.
3. You took an alternative route back up from the sewers in the UV-Max but not in the UV-Fast. Wondering why. Probably it makes very little difference though.
4. Same goes for the small little hidden door, which I never noticed, at the blue key area. You use it to start moving towards the exit in the UV-Max while the arachnotrons spawn in, but not in -fast. Was it too hard with -fast to not get killed in that area?
5. I also have a "fail demo" where I kill the shotgunners and chaingunner with a single SSG. :) (however I failed much quicker than you did)

Cheers and gj

1. That's just something I figured would help while recording the maxdemo; I think it could be done in -fast, too. It's only easily doable out of the room with the two barrels, though (because of vertical autoaim), so you'd need to watch out not to be swarmed by pinkies.
2. Yeah, that barrel explosion probably didn't help, though, occasionally, multiple pinkies would enter that room, and there's be more damage done. It probably isn't worth it in -fast or max, though.
3. Max way is probably slightly faster, but it doesn't make too much of a difference.
4. Moving out obviously helps with bunching up the arachnotrons and allowing them to teleport, though it would definitely be harder to survive with -fast. I think that the elevator room could be used as a hiding spot, though, so it might be doable in -fast too.
5. Yeah, I saw your faildemo; I don't think I had any like that with -fast.

I think my -fast demo is still far from perfect, so it should be pretty good for an improvement :). Max would be much harder to do faster.

4shockblast said:

It's only easily doable out of the room with the two barrels, though (because of vertical autoaim), so you'd need to watch out not to be swarmed by pinkies.

Good point.

4shockblast said:

Max would be much harder to do faster.

It's a very good run, but you did use 4 SSG shots for one arachnotron and something like two rockets and two SSG shots for the last one, if I recall.

Cheers

Map 8 UV -fast in 3:19.

Yes I know I haven't quite beaten 4shock's time yet but AFAIK demos get uploaded every Sunday or so. So the 3:34 can be ignored and this one uploaded. Perhaps I'll get back to this at a later stage. Thanks for making me push myself a bit more. :)

reb08uvf-319.zip

Kotzugi said:

Map 2: Outer Base
Category: UV-Fast
Time: 2:10 (second exit, beating my old 2:25)

Map 02 UV -fast in 1:48. Thought this map looked fun and would make a good break from Unholy Realms speedrunning.

rb02f148.zip

Hah! Don't know why I didn't realise it's not necessary to take that last teleporter. Good run.

At least now I have to try and get below 2:00 at least. *shakes fist*

Kotzugi said:

Hah! Don't know why I didn't realise it's not necessary to take that last teleporter. Good run.

Actually, the teleporter is probably a bit faster; I just forgot to take it in this demo. In any case, it doesn't save too much time, and here, I was able to use the elevator wait time to kill a stray zombieman.

Hmm it definitely looked faster at first look, but you're probably right that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Map 10: The Machine
Category: UV-Fast
Time: 3:46 (first exit, beating my old 4:32)

Just wanted to post something nicer to look at. :) It's definitely beatable though. At the moment I'm sick and don't have quite the motivation to grind for something better. In the future I might get back to it. (Same goes for map 2.)

reb10uvf-346.zip

Map 13: Condemned Streets
UV-Fast in 3:28 (fourth exit; others were 4:32 and 4:18 (x2))

I didn't think below 4:00 was possible, then this came out of nowhere. Cool map.

reb13uvf-328.zip

Map 14: The Undertown
UV-Fast in 6:34

Note: There is a seemingly unreachable secret in the final room, on one of the revenant's platforms, the one closest at the exit.

reb14uvf-634.zip

Map 32: Zoo
UV-Fast in 6:46 (fifth exit)

Took me way too long (weeks) and needs a lot of luck with infighting (or at least, it can make a huge difference in time). Two monsters seemingly unreachable, not able to spawn, so 98% is max.

For the lolz, I included two other demos:

- reb32uvf-nospiderdamage.lmp, which is about the only run where I received no damage from the spiderdemon, which is quite unusual on -fast. Use -skipsec 28.

- reb32uvf-spectreschow, demonstrating how quickly a handful of spectres can murder a fully healthy Doom guy in about a second. Use -skipsec 352.

reb32uvf-646.zip

Map 16: The Musty Ones
UV-Fast in 5:55 (third exit)

Much more manageable than map 32.

Also included:

reb16uvf-funnydeath.lmp - Use -skipsec 124
reb16uvf-revenantsrunaway.lmp - Use -skipsec 4
reb16uvf-cantkillrevenant.lmp - Use -skipsec 10

reb16uvf.zip

Map 17: Xenophob
UV-Fast in 7:10 (second exit)

Below 7:00 is possible, but I'm done for now (took me two months on and off).

Some interesting phenomena which I'm not sure how common they are:

(1) The "sticky" corners at 0:06

(2) At 1:55 (-skipsec 115), non-crashing revenant rockets - they just disappear in the wall without making a sound.

reb17uvf-710.zip

D2ALL UV Max in 1:52:45

Included are a couple other demos:
Episode 1 UV Max in 23:47
Map 30 UV Max in 1:03

rbmax.zip