Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

WAD search round #2 -

The "TLDR" version of this post : What Doom 2 IWAD WADs are there that are not TCs, NO custom monsters or weapons, that are highly detailed, akin to NERVE, and VRACK (and GZdoom compatible) ?

I want to thank everyone who responded to the first thread where I asked about really high detail maps. I now know how to refine my search.

WADs that I find amazing and will serve as the baseline for what I'm looking for:

NERVE (No rest for the living) - Just finished this and felt like I should have played this when it came out - astounding gameplay with traps and key placed enemies, high detail, modern inspired map layouts etc. I have a feeling that some of the Doom 4 maps will be rooted from this WAD. Probably a 9.9/10 for me

VRACK series : I *really wish he would do another one! Space themes are fun. 9/10

TNT/ Plutonia: Kind of on the controversial side, but I liked the difficulty and large maps. 8/10.

Criteria-
Yes to:
+Doom2 IWAd (I want my DB shotgun, and the challenges of mancubi, revenants and viles)
+Good detail, hopefully with modern ideas such as bridges or ideas inspired from newer games

Maybe to: massive monster series, like HOLYHELL. Impossible for my skill level, but maybe toned down and could be fun.

No to:
-TCs. NO custom monsters or weapons that look and act retarded, that shoot bad animation projectiles! Again, I really like concepts like Winter's Fury, but I can't hang with custom weapons and monsters. I appreciate the time and work put into it, but it's not Doom to me.

Unfortunately as awesome as Knee Deep in Zdoom is, the new enemies ruin it for me. Got through 2 levels and I can't finish it. I know it's great, but it's no longer Doom with cheesy imps, and red demons that can magically climb vertical walls in a terrible juddering animation.

In my other post, someone suggested blofeldx.wad. I found it to be really interesting in terms of design because it was almost like it was made by someone who had never played Doom, like they just pulled their mind out of the common wad design flow and made maps that were so out of the norm. That really made for some fun visuals and layouts.

This kind of brought me to an idea, that maybe someday a "WAD Taster" could be designed to suggest and pick out WADs based on previous ratings, like Netflix, or a music selector. Would be a lot of work to catalog but could be fun. Thanks,

KDiZD is awesome? I just remember a lot of stumbling about for an hour because it wasn't designed to fit faster gameplay styles.

Anyway your criteria could mean literally any map that doesn't use custom assets. What are you looking for specifically? Super cool awesome GZDoom maps? Vanilla maps that have lots of small details? Final Doom style 90s maps?

Well, not entirely sure, but basically what I wrote is sort of what I'm looking for. As I mentioned a sec ago, Vanguard is awesome. Will get to others soon. I'm hoping to find something like VRACK and NERVE combined. Maybe I should get in the map editor and start working...

KDiZD was awesome CREATIVELY, in terms of interesting effects, but yes, was surprisingly difficult and took forever to get through a level. What killed it for me was those silly monsters.

SavageCorona said:

KDiZD is awesome? I just remember a lot of stumbling about for an hour because it wasn't designed to fit faster gameplay styles.

Anyway your criteria could mean literally any map that doesn't use custom assets. What are you looking for specifically? Super cool awesome GZDoom maps? Vanilla maps that have lots of small details? Final Doom style 90s maps?

I'm searching for the Cobra Episodes Releases by XonToR who made a fifth Cobra Episode for DOOM 2 (specially DOOM Legacy).

The file names where:

- cobra2_5b01.zip (Beta 01)
- cobra2_5b02.zip (Beta 02)
- cobra2_5b03.zip (Beta 03)

Does one here have any of these?

Please report back.

Thanks in advance.